Primer52 for Naturals?

During a 24h fast you have a small meal at around 8-9pm. You can have your creatine and ZMA there. Technically speaking fish oil would not inhibit the main benefits of fasting because it doesn’t raide mTOR, but I would still avoid it during the day but you can have it in the evening.

1 Like

Would fish oil interfere with autophagy? If memory serves it seems as if 16 hours of fasting is required for the body to start the process, but why is that? Is it simply an average for how long it takes for all the food within the digestive tract to finish digestion or is there more to it than that?

I recently started the Primer 52 program and diet. So far I love the program. Easy to follow and I no longer feel like I’m starving most of the time. Had been on the Best Damn Diet for Naturals for a while now…

My only concern is I can’t seem to fall asleep on fasting days. My caffeine intake is the same or less than on lifting days. Any thoughts? Is this common?

1 Like

are you fasting 24 or 36? I struggle allot around the 22/23 hr mark

@Grubes09 only conjecture but possibly elevated cortisol causing sleepless nights

Ice tried both. First week did 36 hour. This week tried the small meal at 8. Didn’t seem to help with sleep.

It can be because fasting promotes a higher adrenaline level. I would suggest 5-7g of glycine and 500mg of magnesium taurate of glycinate in the evening.

Z12 (available in the online store) would also be a great help by increasing the two main neurotransmitters responsible for calming the brain down and helping you relax.

Hoping I could pose a question in this thread as it seems somewhat relevant. Coach, there seems to be some supplements that boost AMPK, such as forskolin, aspirin, ALA, curcumin, carnitine, and others, to varying degrees. Any harm in including these on fasting days to accelerate fat loss or is this a waste of time and resources? Fantastic article, btw! Starting my fast this coming Sunday. Thanks much!

no, these are fine… while it is not technically fasting since your digestive system will somewhat work, by amplifying AMPK and have zero effect on mTOR you keep all the benefits

So, is the philosophy of BCAA loading in between meals a lost cause? I believe years ago many coaches were touting that as a viable strategy to keep body in a anabolic state during a fast loss cycle??? Since ingesting amino acids and not eating you could lose body fat (keeping calories lower), but help retain muscle b/c getting constant stream of aminos??? Does that sound about right?

So keeping bcaas for intra-workout would be the way to go?

Sir, I would like to ask you is Primer52 good choice for bodyweight workouts, and do I have to count calories during the program?

Coach, for how long would you recommend to run the program?

I’ve tried the 36 hour fast on the 1st fasting day, but it was too much. The fasting day went ok, no trouble, but the next morning was a disaster which lasted up to noon despite ingesting lots of good food from 5 am to noon (more than half for the day).

Last two fasting days went with 24 hours and felt much better the next morning.

Fasting is an acquired skill. I binged after my first ones too.

Dude, you should have seen me! That was in the early 2000s when the Warrior diet first came out

With fasting, for me, the most important thing to do was breaking the fast. If after the first meal you’re still in sympathetic mode, that’s a bad sign. Cortisol and adrenaline need to go down. Key points for me there was adding more carbs at the first meal and staying away from coffee for the rest of the day. Otherwise I will have a carb-bonanza later on in the day somewhere and will eat anything that I can get a hold of.

1 Like

Excellent point arthur

When I do 24 hour fasts the 16-20hr window is usually when I feel the worst (slightly more irritable, most hunger, foggier thinking), but I start feeling noticeably better around the 20-22 hour mark.

Is there something going on around that time which causes that?

1 Like

That’s when ketone bodies start to rise and fatty acid oxydation is elevated.

rod_ch14_f010

3 Likes

Sounds a stupid question but I’m being genuine,

Does anyone know if sugar free chewing gum/mints can break the fasting benefits? As the mrs says my breath is always real bad when fasting … and there not many things I care about other people’s opinions of me but having bad breath is one of the few that defo does bother me!