Prime Time, Thursday with DJ

[quote]Danny John wrote:
Zap, read the articles, too. I think you need two, maybe three, full cycles of OLAD just to get the right reps, sets and weights.

I saw you were doing calves. Why? Every single buddy of mine who is a thrower has massive calves…including me (as I was told Saturday). Calves will grow with other stuff, it might not be worth doing them…

[/quote]

Dan, after 18 years of running hills and sprints for rugby, distance running, hiking in the mountains and other activities my calves still don’t look good in a kilt. I have yet to give throwing a try though…

Frankly I don’t enjoy working them directly.

I had planned on doing them in my Saturday work out (which I do with my daughter) but I would much rather just jump rope with her and do 100 pull ups and call it a day.

[quote]luddini wrote:
Hey Dan I like the simplicity of your workout recommendations.

I’m wondering if you could make a recommendation for me. Is there a particular existing program out there or general recommendations you could make, if my top priority is to achieve a one-legged squat (pistol style) and one-arm pushup (even just 1 rep of each)?

Right now I’m working with mostly low reps in the gym using some of CWs programs but would really feel good if i could achieve those two feats in the future.[/quote]

I have no where near the level of knowledge Dan has but i thought i’d throw my 2 cents in. I recently bought pavels naked warrior and am currently working on my 1 leg squat and 1 arm push up. I have found my step ladder to be the best piece of equipment to help me achieve this. For 1 leg squats i squat down on both legs next to my ladder then move into the 1 leg squat position, i grab the ladder and use my arms to help pull me up and stand up on the 1 leg. For 1 arm push ups i started with my arm on one of the high steps on the ladder and my legs on the ground, as i get stronger i move my hand onto lower steps. Hope this helps.

What you said about clean and press everyday was very intriguing. I’m a college kid who wants to increase that lift, but cant really do this multiple times a day as you suggest. What about doing maybe 3 or 5 triples and some doubles in the clean and press once everyday? Clearly being a college kid isn’t pressing me for time (no pun intended), it’s that I don’t have access to a barbell 5 times throughout the day, everyday.

the one lift a day thing is sort of what i am doing. i will pic some sort of squat, pull or press each day, work up to a heavy 1-3 rep set, then i do my own hybrid of crossfit meets strongman.

for example, if the WOD is 500 meter rows, supersetted with dumbell push presses for 30 reps, wha I did was this:

a. deadlift, work up to 500x3 raw, then supersetted sled dragging 400 feet with around 300lbs, with barbell push presses 205x10 reps for 3 rounds. after puking i hit some abds and rotator cuff work.

another example, today i worked up to 245x3 in the poser clean from the hang, the supersetted 20 400lb tire flips with bw dips x 10 for 3 rounds.

Two words:

Farmer Walks.

[quote]Matgic wrote:
Hey Dan,

Plain and simply, my grip sucks. I have tiny hands and my forearms are not that big compared to my upper arms (not sure if that has much to do with it) and I simply cannot hold onto the kind of weight that my back can handle. I am interested in one day doing strongman training. Is there any way to work on my grip without sacrificing gains that I have made in other lifts? Thanks a lot.
-MAtt[/quote]

I like Day Three a lot. Do this a week or two, then get back to me.

I need a ticket and a date.

[quote]bg100 wrote:
G’day Dan,

I’ve just put together a program which will sort of be an “intesification” phase for 3 weeks. I’m coming to the end of a 4 week higher volume program where I have been doing a lot of the 3 stage drills for the O-lifts. My main question is if you think I am overdoing the amount of heavy singles in this program, especially on Day 3.

Day 1:

OHS 3x3
Snatch 5/3/2 then 5 singles
Military Press 3/2/1/3/2/1
RDL 5x3

Day 2

OHS 3x3
Clean 5/3/2 then 5 singles
Bench Press 3/2/1/3/2/1
Bent BB Row 5x3

Day 3

OHS 3x3
Snatch 3/3/2/2 then 10 singles
Clean & Jerk 3/3/2/2 then 10 singles

Thanks for any advice you might have.

Also, you couldn’t talk to your mate Charles Staley about holding one of those boot camps down here in Australia could you?

Cheers,

Ben[/quote]

My thoughts exactly…

[quote]Psnatch wrote:
luddini wrote:

I’m wondering if you could make a recommendation for me. Is there a particular existing program out there or general recommendations you could make, if my top priority is to achieve a one-legged squat (pistol style) and one-arm pushup (even just 1 rep of each)?

Right now I’m working with mostly low reps in the gym using some of CWs programs but would really feel good if i could achieve those two feats in the future.

I have no where near the level of knowledge Dan has but i thought i’d throw my 2 cents in. I recently bought pavels naked warrior and am currently working on my 1 leg squat and 1 arm push up. I have found my step ladder to be the best piece of equipment to help me achieve this. For 1 leg squats i squat down on both legs next to my ladder then move into the 1 leg squat position, i grab the ladder and use my arms to help pull me up and stand up on the 1 leg. For 1 arm push ups i started with my arm on one of the high steps on the ladder and my legs on the ground, as i get stronger i move my hand onto lower steps. Hope this helps.[/quote]

Hey Dan, I’m not sure your still answering questions but if you are I have a quick one. I built a killer sled last night and I was debating on the way to pull it, with straps around shoulders or a strap around the waist? I am doing mostly long pulls forward and backwords. I already have a thick belt for the waist but I was wondering if there is a benfit for shoulder straps.

BTW I was at the seminar and you are the Man!
Later, Thad

Thanks for the suggestion I like that idea. I’m gonna have to find one of those. You are referring to those wooden triangle ladder things I’ve seen at the gym right? Wonder where I could find one around here…

Ok so I can see what you mean by the pushup but can you clarify with the squat. You mean you have the ladder beside you laterally near the leg that will be doing the squatting? ie. so you reach over with your left hand for support on the ladder which is on the left side of your body, when squatting with the left leg?

[quote]Psnatch wrote:
luddini wrote:

Right now I’m working with mostly low reps in the gym using some of CWs programs but would really feel good if i could achieve those two feats in the future.

I have no where near the level of knowledge Dan has but i thought i’d throw my 2 cents in. I recently bought pavels naked warrior and am currently working on my 1 leg squat and 1 arm push up. I have found my step ladder to be the best piece of equipment to help me achieve this. For 1 leg squats i squat down on both legs next to my ladder then move into the 1 leg squat position, i grab the ladder and use my arms to help pull me up and stand up on the 1 leg. For 1 arm push ups i started with my arm on one of the high steps on the ladder and my legs on the ground, as i get stronger i move my hand onto lower steps. Hope this helps.[/quote]

I should have seen that reply coming from you from a mile off. I think I remember seeing the recommendation somewhere on your website. But you know what, I might actually attempt to do it! Last night when doing some bench press I felt a bit of pain in my upper arm that only seems to happen when doing a horizontal push motion, so I might have strained something in that area of the shoulder/upper arm. Taking a few weeks off those sort of exercises might be a good idea. “Day 3” might be the answer.

I’ll see if I can rally some support amongst Aussie T-Nation members about organising a boot camp, if enough of us want to do it then we could make it happen. I’m sick of feeling left out all the way over here!

Also, I found out that finally a Highland games was actually happening in my local area tomorrow, the trouble is I’ve got a family birthday to go to, not happy about it at all! I was looking forward to going and having a look to see the games first hand and find out if more of them regularly occur. I have searched for them on the net but they seem few and far between down here, but I’m sure I’ll get to compete in one eventually!

Cheers,

Ben

[quote]Danny John wrote:

bg100 wrote:
G’day Dan,

I’ve just put together a program which will sort of be an “intesification” phase for 3 weeks. I’m coming to the end of a 4 week higher volume program where I have been doing a lot of the 3 stage drills for the O-lifts. My main question is if you think I am overdoing the amount of heavy singles in this program, especially on Day 3.

Day 1:

OHS 3x3
RDL 5x3

Day 2

OHS 3x3
Bench Press 3/2/1/3/2/1
Bent BB Row 5x3

Day 3

OHS 3x3

Also, you couldn’t talk to your mate Charles Staley about holding one of those boot camps down here in Australia could you?

Cheers,

Ben

[/quote]

Australia…

I will be glad to come down…any time.

[quote]bg100 wrote:
I should have seen that reply coming from you from a mile off. I think I remember seeing the recommendation somewhere on your website. But you know what, I might actually attempt to do it! Last night when doing some bench press I felt a bit of pain in my upper arm that only seems to happen when doing a horizontal push motion, so I might have strained something in that area of the shoulder/upper arm. Taking a few weeks off those sort of exercises might be a good idea. “Day 3” might be the answer.

I’ll see if I can rally some support amongst Aussie T-Nation members about organising a boot camp, if enough of us want to do it then we could make it happen. I’m sick of feeling left out all the way over here!

Also, I found out that finally a Highland games was actually happening in my local area tomorrow, the trouble is I’ve got a family birthday to go to, not happy about it at all! I was looking forward to going and having a look to see the games first hand and find out if more of them regularly occur. I have searched for them on the net but they seem few and far between down here, but I’m sure I’ll get to compete in one eventually!

Cheers,

Ben

Danny John wrote:

bg100 wrote:
G’day Dan,

Day 1:

OHS 3x3
RDL 5x3

Day 2

OHS 3x3
Bench Press 3/2/1/3/2/1
Bent BB Row 5x3

Day 3

OHS 3x3

Cheers,

Ben

[/quote]

Dan,

I’m curious of your thoughts on this workout - five days per week, total body

conventional deads 2x5
incline alt. w/ flat
bench 1x5
bent-over bb rows 2x5
full ATF squats 1x5
dips alt w/ close-grips 1x5
RDLs alt w/ good morn. 1x5

In addition, I do 4-6 sets of weighted pull-ups and chins at home, 1/2 in morning and half at night

I alternate deads and squats - so the next day, 1x5 deads and 2x5 full squats

I want to spend more time w/ back exercises vs. pecs and triceps b/c I have an imbalance

thanks