T Nation

Prime Time, Thursday with DJ

DJ, thanks for your time once again.

Not sure if my first message went through. Here it is again:
Accomodating resistance (Bands and chains)? Any use for the OL lifter for increasing explosiveness? How to implement?

I have said this before:

If I could start my whole career again, I would do chains on every press and squat (all variations)

[quote]SRS wrote:
DJ, thanks for your time once again.

Not sure if my first message went through. Here it is again:
Accomodating resistance (Bands and chains)? Any use for the OL lifter for increasing explosiveness? How to implement?[/quote]

Yes, occasionally, I eat one. That’s it…

[quote]MikeTheBear wrote:
I don’t even know what a femur is…

It’s a little furry animal that lives underground.
[/quote]

Thanks, sorry if I missed that conversation/article along the way. What about application to OL? What about bands? Any experience there?

[quote]Danny John wrote:
I have said this before:

If I could start my whole career again, I would do chains on every press and squat (all variations)

SRS wrote:
DJ, thanks for your time once again.

Not sure if my first message went through. Here it is again:
Accomodating resistance (Bands and chains)? Any use for the OL lifter for increasing explosiveness? How to implement?

[/quote]

DJ,
Today was the first day I’ve ever done Zercher squats. And, my point is, this lift more than any other pounded home the message the body is one piece. My whole body was locked in an isometric contraction, to stabalize that load. Awesome. The body is one piece. This being said, how would you lay out a program to hammer the posterior chain and triceps over a 5 week period, while maintaining the rest of the body. I’m not sure whether I’m seeking size, strength, or performance in these two areas. I just want be able to say “DAMN” at the end of the 5 weeks. FYI, I’ve posed this question to CW, and Joe DeFranco, Joe has yet to get back to me. Just curious on your input.

Thank you,
Kyle

Hey Dan,
Just wanted to let you know that I’m really putting your principles/advice to work. I’m showing up. I took a 2 hr ride (one way) to Dartmouth college today to work with Coach Wallin. (who coached Nelson) Had a great time. Very nice man but very demanding with his throwers. Loads of information that I will get to you. We threw the shot today. A series of throws using 14# 15# 16# 17# and back down multiple times. Stand, power, wheel, and full throws. Also watched the hammer for the first time. Makes me think I want to stay for Yuri.
Meat-Leave-Berries diet is working very well. A lot more energy instead of being lazy and fatigued from carb.
You gave the ideas, I’m running/throwing with it
Thanks
Lonnie

Here is an idea:

For five weeks, Clean and Press everyday up to five sessions a day. Stay very light the first week, 50% of what you think you can do. Leave the bar loaded. Wake up and do a couple sets, eat breakfast a few more singles and doubles. Home, a couple of singles and doubles. Keep doing these every day until the weight is laughable…then add plates.

You won’t do this. It truly is an excellent idea and it will make you grow and get stronger than you can imagine. If you start off with singles with like 135, by the end of five weeks, you will be doing over 200…maybe much more.

It’s a great program and works. But,…well,

[quote]KFall wrote:
DJ,
Today was the first day I’ve ever done Zercher squats. And, my point is, this lift more than any other pounded home the message the body is one piece. My whole body was locked in an isometric contraction, to stabalize that load. Awesome. The body is one piece. This being said, how would you lay out a program to hammer the posterior chain and triceps over a 5 week period, while maintaining the rest of the body. I’m not sure whether I’m seeking size, strength, or performance in these two areas. I just want be able to say “DAMN” at the end of the 5 weeks. FYI, I’ve posed this question to CW, and Joe DeFranco, Joe has yet to get back to me. Just curious on your input.

Thank you,
Kyle[/quote]

Get all you can from him. Be sure to make copies for me, too. I would love to see you make this into an article…[quote]lwade wrote:
Hey Dan,
Just wanted to let you know that I’m really putting your principles/advice to work. I’m showing up. I took a 2 hr ride (one way) to Dartmouth college today to work with Coach Wallin. (who coached Nelson) Had a great time. Very nice man but very demanding with his throwers. Loads of information that I will get to you. We threw the shot today. A series of throws using 14# 15# 16# 17# and back down multiple times. Stand, power, wheel, and full throws. Also watched the hammer for the first time. Makes me think I want to stay for Yuri.
Meat-Leave-Berries diet is working very well. A lot more energy instead of being lazy and fatigued from carb.
You gave the ideas, I’m running/throwing with it
Thanks
Lonnie [/quote]

Just wanted yo let you know you are a SADIST. But my kind of sadist. I decided to start easing into your 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 superset, with just front squats and bench as the superset. Just 25 pounds on the bar for each about did me IN! I know I’ll be moving up a little next time, but HOLY CRAP.

Oh, and have you put those coaching tips etc. from the seminar on your website yet? I’m itching to start front squatting.

Thanks again for the seminar. And the lunch chat.

I put the notes on my Tuesday thread. I am still working on a more “formal” handout…

[quote]aikigreg wrote:
Just wanted yo let you know you are a SADIST. But my kind of sadist. I decided to start easing into your 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 superset, with just front squats and bench as the superset. Just 25 pounds on the bar for each about did me IN! I know I’ll be moving up a little next time, but HOLY CRAP.

Oh, and have you put those coaching tips etc. from the seminar on your website yet? I’m itching to start front squatting.

Thanks again for the seminar. And the lunch chat.[/quote]

Oh, and you just did “supersets.” Conga Line is at least three lifts.

I expect you to do five.

The best one I know:

Front Squats with Chains (with 25s on each side)
Bench Press with Chains (with 25s on each side)
Honest pullups or chinups
Box Jumps
Deadlifts with 185

10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1

Ever get the chance to meet Litvinov?Might have made a good linebacker?
Brandon Green

I will work on it.
They also uses chains for presses and squats

[quote]Danny John wrote:
Get all you can from him. Be sure to make copies for me, too. I would love to see you make this into an article…lwade wrote:
Hey Dan,
Just wanted to let you know that I’m really putting your principles/advice to work. I’m showing up. I took a 2 hr ride (one way) to Dartmouth college today to work with Coach Wallin. (who coached Nelson) Had a great time. Very nice man but very demanding with his throwers. Loads of information that I will get to you. We threw the shot today. A series of throws using 14# 15# 16# 17# and back down multiple times. Stand, power, wheel, and full throws. Also watched the hammer for the first time. Makes me think I want to stay for Yuri.
Meat-Leave-Berries diet is working very well. A lot more energy instead of being lazy and fatigued from carb.
You gave the ideas, I’m running/throwing with it
Thanks
Lonnie

[/quote]

I have spent lots of time with Sedyk. Let’s be honest, I might have made a great kayaker or canoeist…but opportunities are opportunities.

I did meet Yuri Tamm, too and I learned a lot in just seconds…

[quote]cccp21 wrote:
Ever get the chance to meet Litvinov?Might have made a good linebacker?
Brandon Green[/quote]

I thought I invented that…as well as breakfast…

[quote]lwade wrote:
I will work on it.
They also uses chains for presses and squats

Danny John wrote:
Get all you can from him. Be sure to make copies for me, too. I would love to see you make this into an article…lwade wrote:
Hey Dan,
Just wanted to let you know that I’m really putting your principles/advice to work. I’m showing up. I took a 2 hr ride (one way) to Dartmouth college today to work with Coach Wallin. (who coached Nelson) Had a great time. Very nice man but very demanding with his throwers. Loads of information that I will get to you. We threw the shot today. A series of throws using 14# 15# 16# 17# and back down multiple times. Stand, power, wheel, and full throws. Also watched the hammer for the first time. Makes me think I want to stay for Yuri.
Meat-Leave-Berries diet is working very well. A lot more energy instead of being lazy and fatigued from carb.
You gave the ideas, I’m running/throwing with it
Thanks
Lonnie

[/quote]

[quote]Danny John wrote:

cut up three different fruits for dessert (no idea why…but kids will eat a mixture of three fruits. One, no. Three…yummee, Daddy).

[/quote]

So true. I’m 22 and just today I came home and found a fruit salad my girlfriend had made and ate some right away. Funny thing is that the pineapple, grapes, strawberrie, etc that were in it had been in the fridge for a week already and I hadn’t touched them.

It’s like a gift I have…I see the future…

[quote]CollinAshmore wrote:
Danny John wrote:

cut up three different fruits for dessert (no idea why…but kids will eat a mixture of three fruits. One, no. Three…yummee, Daddy).

So true. I’m 22 and just today I came home and found a fruit salad my girlfriend had made and ate some right away. Funny thing is that the pineapple, grapes, strawberrie, etc that were in it had been in the fridge for a week already and I hadn’t touched them.

[/quote]

Hey Dan,

Plain and simply, my grip sucks. I have tiny hands and my forearms are not that big compared to my upper arms (not sure if that has much to do with it) and I simply cannot hold onto the kind of weight that my back can handle. I am interested in one day doing strongman training. Is there any way to work on my grip without sacrificing gains that I have made in other lifts? Thanks a lot.
-MAtt

[quote]Danny John wrote:
I put the notes on my Tuesday thread. I am still working on a more “formal” handout…

Oh, and you just did “supersets.” Conga Line is at least three lifts.

I expect you to do five.

The best one I know:

Front Squats with Chains (with 25s on each side)
Bench Press with Chains (with 25s on each side)
Honest pullups or chinups
Box Jumps
Deadlifts with 185

10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1[/quote]

I’m working up to it coach!
I almost puked as it was. I’m not used to lifting aerobically anymore, with more managed rest periods. Especially after coaching wrestling for two hours (which mean I wrestle as well). I expect fully to implement the complete conga line by EOW next week.

I’ll go find the thread now. Thanks!

G’day Dan,

I’ve just put together a program which will sort of be an “intesification” phase for 3 weeks. I’m coming to the end of a 4 week higher volume program where I have been doing a lot of the 3 stage drills for the O-lifts. My main question is if you think I am overdoing the amount of heavy singles in this program, especially on Day 3.

Day 1:

OHS 3x3
Snatch 5/3/2 then 5 singles
Military Press 3/2/1/3/2/1
RDL 5x3

Day 2

OHS 3x3
Clean 5/3/2 then 5 singles
Bench Press 3/2/1/3/2/1
Bent BB Row 5x3

Day 3

OHS 3x3
Snatch 3/3/2/2 then 10 singles
Clean & Jerk 3/3/2/2 then 10 singles

Thanks for any advice you might have.

Also, you couldn’t talk to your mate Charles Staley about holding one of those boot camps down here in Australia could you?

Cheers,

Ben

Hey Dan I like the simplicity of your workout recommendations.

I’m wondering if you could make a recommendation for me. Is there a particular existing program out there or general recommendations you could make, if my top priority is to achieve a one-legged squat (pistol style) and one-arm pushup (even just 1 rep of each)?

Right now I’m working with mostly low reps in the gym using some of CWs programs but would really feel good if i could achieve those two feats in the future.