PRIME TIME STALEY JULY 7, 2005

I’m here for a bit if anyone has questions…

Hello Coach,

What sort of program would you recommend for maximal strength and speed development. I am a martial artist and I want to concentrate on developing these two qualities for a while before I try and pack on some more mass.

I have the following days to train: Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, with MA training on Wednesday and Friday.

thanks,

Craig

I’d do something very compact and abbreviated. O lifts are ideal if you have the skillset.

I’d PROBABLY do 2 workouts per week, using the same exercises each day, but varying the loading parameters.

I’d suggest 4 exercises per workout, something like:

Power Clean/Push Press
Pullups
Bench Press
Squat

Day One is maximal Strength day…perform 6-8 sets of 2-3 reps with a 4-5RM load, resting 3 minutes between sets

Day Two is a speed-strength session…perform the same loading parameters, EXCEPT use a 7-8RM load and rest 1.5 mins between sets.

Don’t add weight on any workout until the sets/reps you’re doing become significantly easier…then add 5 pounds or 5%, whichever is less.

Good luck

[quote]scrooge wrote:
Hello Coach,

What sort of program would you recommend for maximal strength and speed development. I am a martial artist and I want to concentrate on developing these two qualities for a while before I try and pack on some more mass.

I have the following days to train: Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, with MA training on Wednesday and Friday.

thanks,

Craig
[/quote]

Hi Coach Staley,
First I would like to say that I love to read your books and articles. You have some great stuff. I’m a big fan of yours.

I’m looking for a new way to skin a cat. I have herniated disc in my lower lumbar that I’m afraid has brought my squat and deadlift days to an end.

Can you suggest some alternative exercises for maxium lower body hypertrophy?

I have a wrist injury that occurred while sparring (wrist was snapped back, soft tissue injury, xray showed no broken bones.) I’ve had PT (ultrasound, about 7 sessions) but quit because I couldn’t afford it. Suffice to say I’m out of the gym, although I will admit that I trained lightly a few times, each when my wrist seemed to improve enough, and wrapping it tight each time. When I did train, it was only movements I felt didn’t strain the wrist, such as a vertical press movement (ex. bench press 60% of my normal w/o) It seemed as though the weight helped strengthen the wrist. Then I made it worse by doing incline bench with the same weight. I’m out of the gym for now. My questions are: Do you think exercises such as flat bench may help this situation, and if so, any others? Should I just stay out completely? It’s been 3 months of frustration.

That’d be risky w/o knowing more specific on your injury. HOWEVER: let me stronly recommend Dr. Stuart McGill’s books from www.backfitpro.com. Both will be invaluable for you. Once you’ve had time to digest the materials in these books, please get back to me and we can go from there…

[quote]Phoenix Rising wrote:
Hi Coach Staley,
First I would like to say that I love to read your books and articles. You have some great stuff. I’m a big fan of yours.

I’m looking for a new way to skin a cat. I have herniated disc in my lower lumbar that I’m afraid has brought my squat and deadlift days to an end.

Can you suggest some alternative exercises for maxium lower body hypertrophy?[/quote]

are you really in Vegas for a convention,or is it more of that area 51 stuff we can’t talk about? The staff and I are just curious-Jules

If you were my client, I wouldn’t allow anyything that could compromise your healing process at all. Stick with lower body and other components that won’t stress the wrist. Be wise and have patience!

[quote]th_underdog wrote:
I have a wrist injury that occurred while sparring (wrist was snapped back, soft tissue injury, xray showed no broken bones.) I’ve had PT (ultrasound, about 7 sessions) but quit because I couldn’t afford it. Suffice to say I’m out of the gym, although I will admit that I trained lightly a few times, each when my wrist seemed to improve enough, and wrapping it tight each time. When I did train, it was only movements I felt didn’t strain the wrist, such as a vertical press movement (ex. bench press 60% of my normal w/o) It seemed as though the weight helped strengthen the wrist. Then I made it worse by doing incline bench with the same weight. I’m out of the gym for now. My questions are: Do you think exercises such as flat bench may help this situation, and if so, any others? Should I just stay out completely? It’s been 3 months of frustration.[/quote]

Hi Charles.

On Monday, I will be starting your EDT for body composition, and I have a few questions:

1. If strength maintenance is not an objective - all you’re interested in is weight loss, are the 4-6 sets of 2-3 reps followed by 15 minutes of singles still necessary?

2. For the gastrocnemius, you recommend jumps in place. I’m guessing that this one should not be a 10 rep max, as it is plyometric in nature? If not, what should the load be?

3. Due to a lack of equipment, I can’t work my grip strength with more than 17.5 pounds (far from my 10RM). What can I replace it with? The equipment I have available is: a set of dumbbells that adds up to only 35 lbs. (if I do both hands at the same time, as you recommend, that’s 17.5 per hand), a chinup bar, wavemaster punching bag, home gym (flame away), and a few cardio machines.

4. You recommend step ups for the quads, but again, I have the same problem as above. Even if I load all the heroic 35 lbs., it wouldn’t be close to my 10RM. I would replace it with squats, but that’s already one of my core movements. As for lunges, the same problem applies (35 lbs. is too light). What do you think of leg extensions? I know they’re an isolation exercise, not as benficial as step ups, but that’s all I can think of. Is there some exercise that I’m overlooking?

Sorry to bother you with such seemingly simple problems, but they really have me stumped.
Your help is greatly appreciated!

Uh…there is no such thing as area 51…

[quote]teamstaley wrote:
are you really in Vegas for a convention,or is it more of that area 51 stuff we can’t talk about? The staff and I are just curious-Jules[/quote]

OK, it seems as though it’s now Thursday, which means I have 3 days and 8 hours that I can’t account for, plus I’ve got a weird scar behind my knee that I’ve never noticed before. SO, let me jam outta here for now, but if you’d like to post a question, go a head and I’ll get to it a bit later

Thanks all…

[quote]Charles Staley wrote:
I’m here for a bit if anyone has questions…[/quote]

Charles,

Many of your answers to posted questions on this site, are very similiar (focus on the big basic lifts, do strong man stuff, etc-but I’ve noticed the same thing w/the other coaches here too). With that being said how do you: 1. keep from getting bored doing the same things over and over again 2. Does everybody pretty much need to do similiar things regardless of their goals?

1. You said before that the heaviest you’ve ever overhead squatted was 170lbs (which is awesome!) and that you don’t do them very frequently due to injuries. What injuries?

2. On the video of your daughter (which was very impressive-especially the tire flipping) contained in the Snatch article, your daughter is only squatting to parallel and not ass to grass. Why not?

3. I know you are not a big fan of clubbells, but what about sledgehammer training? Why or why not? It seems to be making a big comeback lately.

BPC wrote:
Charles,

Many of your answers to posted questions on this site, are very similiar (focus on the big basic lifts, do strong man stuff, etc-but I’ve noticed the same thing w/the other coaches here too). With that being said how do you: 1. keep from getting bored doing the same things over and over again

Do you mean how do I keep from getting bored? Or my clients? Or people in general?

1. Does everybody pretty much need to do similiar things regardless of their goals?

I’d say the similarities outweigh the differences, but there are differences

1. You said before that the heaviest you’ve ever overhead squatted was 170lbs (which is awesome!) and that you don’t do them very frequently due to injuries. What injuries?

Primarily a ganglion cyst in my right wrist

1. On the video of your daughter (which was very impressive-especially the tire flipping) contained in the Snatch article, your daughter is only squatting to parallel and not ass to grass. Why not?

I’d have to go back and look at the video. She was only 13 at the time and might not have had the skill to maintain proper posture on a deeper squat at the time

1. I know you are not a big fan of clubbells, but what about sledgehammer training? Why or why not? It seems to be making a big comeback lately.

I haven’t done much work with them, I’m not a fan nor do I have a problem with them

Charles,

Thanks for your answers.

1. I meant, do you ever get bored doing (pullups, squats, cleans, etc)

2. Thought so.

3. That sucks.

4. Makes sense. Just curious as to whether you advocated deep ass to grass squats or only parallel squats (assuming one has good posture and healthy knees)

5. Hmmmmmm interesting. I figured with all of your strongman training you’d have some experience with them?

I’ve been doing hill sprints up this monster hill lately and also car pushing. I’ve also added farmer walks when I work out at the YMCA. Thanks a lot Charles. You are a TREMENDOUS asset to this site.

Charles… any help with my questions? :slight_smile:

bump
okay, not just Charles, but anyone can answer my questions (just scroll up).