T Nation

PRIME TIME STALEY FOR 7/28/05

Hey Team,

I'm here, shoot me your best questions!

How does one compare the relative strength of the quads and hams. How do i find out which part is lagging in strength? Should i compare them based on their numbers in isolation lifts such as the curls, and extensions? What is the ideal ratio anyway?

I tried pin pointing which muscle group gives in first while doing full squats, but with every change in stance, angle, depth etc the results change.

I'm not sure it's really possible to arrive at a ratio that would have any meaningful conclusions for real-World application to be honest with you! AND I might add that if you're having trouble determining which muscle group is dominating, it probably means that you have a pretty good ratio.

That might not have been the answer you're looking for, but it's an honest one. To me those ratios are very theoretical and (usually) meaningless.

What kinds of topics are you going to cover at bootcamp? Or is that an area-51 type secret?

We'll release detials very soon, but for now, I can tell you that Dan John's topic will be successful training for super-busy people (and THAT will be good, trust me!).

Hey Coach,

I just got off the phone with Coach Coffee. I am dropping by his gym to check out a reverse hyper machine. I thought about seeking his guidance in learning a few of the O'lifts. I was wondering if you know him and what do you think about him?

I've been consistent with my workouts for the last 5-6 months or so with only one missed day every 2-3 weeks.

The last 10 weeks I've been using more of what I've learned here on this site, namely Chad's SFM (4 weeks), and ABBH I (6 weeks) so far.

My question is, now that I'm back into a consistant grove, as opposed to my usual 2 months on, 1 month off laziness cycle, do you think that 15 more weeks is enough time to properly prepare for a Full Power/Single Lift competition? The meet is APF but I'm going to be registered in AAPF.

I haven't competed in over 3 years and want to get back into it. Right now I'm 5'5" and weigh 172 and I'm taking this week to find my true raw maxes for reference.

My deadlift is at 435 (just maxed today) and I plan on maxing on bench and squat over the next 5 days, but I'm assuming they are: Bench-340ish, squat-415ish.

I'm sure I can get down to the 165lb class and that my numbers will improve, but I'm not sure if I have enough time to be competitive at that weight class (I'm still entering either way, but it would be nice to be competitive at the meet).

Would you recomend any particular routine/method to get to my strongest in 15 weeks?

Thanks for your time!
SWR

I don't know him personally but he has a stellar reputation as an O-lift coach...you'll enjoy your visit for sure!

What was the date of the Boot Camp again? I also remember reading of suggested lodging...

I practice Muay Thai 3 times a weeks at a gym. I would like to incorporate some extra skill training at home, but find it hard to find time for strength and energy system work. How can I fit this all in, do I have to fit it all in? Ultimately I would like to be an accomplished Thai Boxer even though I do not plan on competing, just sparring.

Secondary goal is to drop some extra bodyfat. Im not going to do a "cutting" plan because I find they do not offer enough kcals for fuel. Will simply making good food choices and working hard help accomplish this goal just by way of the volume involved with Thai training?

Thanks for your help, sorry for the long post.

October 15th in Chandler, AZ. Let me know if you need any more info...

Hi Charles,
I have a problem when I squat deep in that I lean too far forward. The problem is even more pronounced with overhead squats. It doesn't normally cause me any pain but when I've been hitting my lower back hard it can become very painful during the workout. I have been told by a "gym rat" that it is due to a lack of flexibility around the sacroiliac joint. What stretches would you recommend that I could use to sort it out?

"Properly prepare" is a relative term? Compared to what? I cetrainly think it's a decent amount of time for a productive mesocycle. You said single lift comp? Will this be a bench-only meet for you? I'm a little confused by your description (sorry!).

Great way to phrase the question: "Do I have to fit it all in?"

And the answer is NO. What you DO have to fit in is anything that is a glaring weakness and that could cause problems elsewhere. The ESW and skill sessions can be one and the same, and they should. I'm sure you can appreciate what I mean? If you work kicks on the pads for 6 rounds, that's a skill session but it's also energy system work, and it'll also help you lean out. All you need to add is 2-3 strength sessions per week.

Sorry about that.
It's a single lift in bench, deadlift and squat.

I've gained about 12lbs in the last 4 months and I'm now looking to gain strength without gaining anymore weight, so I'd say compared to the more hypertrophy based programs I've been doing.

I've been looking at trying a westside template, but it's still confusing to me. Particularly how to figgure out what assistance and accesory excersizes to do, and even if I'm ready for 2 ME and DE days a week or if I should start out with less volume since I'm not used to heavy (1RM) weights.

Hey Coach. What do you think of my program?

It's a 3 way split. Push, Pull and Legs. 4 main exercises with 1 ancillary.

Push

Incline Bench Press. 5 sets of 3-5 reps. 90secs rest.
Dumbell Pullover. 2 sets of 8-10 reps. 60secs rest. Failure in last set.
Dips. 2 sets to failure. 120secs rest.
Lateral Raise. 3 sets of 10-12. 30secs rest.
Smith Machine Calf Raises.

Pull.

Power Cleans. 5 sets of 2-4 reps. 90secs rest.
Bentover Rows. 2 sets of 6-8 reps. 90secs rest.
Pull Ups. 2 sets to failure. 120secs rest.
Shrugs. 3 sets of 8-10. 30secs rest.
Seated Calf

Legs

Single Leg Squats. 2 sets of 20. 30secs rest.
Deadlift. 3 sets of 3-6reps. 90-120secs rest.
Stiff Leg Deadlifts. 2 sets of 6-10reps. 60secs rest.
Leg Press. 3 sets of 6-8reps. 60secs rest. Failure in last set.
Crunches/V-ups. (Like a crunch but with legs out at 30degrees). 2 sets of 12-15 reps. 30secs rest.