T Nation

PRIME TIME STALEY, DATELINE 8-18-05

Live and direct from the Phoenix compound, Coach Staley is here to answer your questions, solve your problems, and otherwise make the World a better place :wink:

So how may I be of service?

Good afternoon Charles.

How’s it going?

I’m not trying to annoy you and Dan w/these questions but…

1. Re heels only on power cleans/snatches, will that still aid w/vertical jumping since I’m not actually jumping anymore?

2. When and why did you convert to the heels only method of power cleaning/snatching? Does it make it easier to lift more weight?

3. So basically my heels are going to stay planted the entire time right and I’ll never come up on my toes much less get off the ground and actually jump?

I noticed on your Snatch part Deux article the thrower guy who was power snatching a barbell one handed did jump. Why am I not understanding this fully?

[quote]BPC wrote:
Good afternoon Charles.

How’s it going?

I’m not trying to annoy you and Dan w/these questions but…

1. Re heels only on power cleans/snatches, will that still aid w/vertical jumping since I’m not actually jumping anymore?

It still trains the primary jumping muscles, so I’d say yes.

1. When and why did you convert to the heels only method of power cleaning/snatching? Does it make it easier to lift more weight?

Dan John made me. And yes.

1. So basically my heels are going to stay planted the entire time right and I’ll never come up on my toes much less get off the ground and actually jump?

Incorrect. You PUSH from the heels during the explosion, but as you go to jump under the bar, as you flex your knees and hips, your heels will naturally leave the ground.

I noticed on your Snatch part Deux article the thrower guy who was power snatching a barbell one handed did jump. Why am I not understanding this fully?[/quote]

Please see above…

Charles,

My main goal is hyoooooge guns of steel, is it better to do one arm, upside down cable pulldown curls on a physio ball while holding my breath, or is it best to just do mutliple sets of the old standards like pink dumbbell concentration culs in the squat rack?

Actually, just wanted to thank you for all your help, I added another 25 pounds to my squat in the last month following your suggestions. You are the man!

Rolo.

Hi Charles,

I’m not incredibly familiar with your training philosophies…what are your thoughts on unstable surface training?

Thanks Rolo,

I think it’s time for the green dumbbells!

[quote]Mastermind wrote:
Charles,

My main goal is hyoooooge guns of steel, is it better to do one arm, upside down cable pulldown curls on a physio ball while holding my breath, or is it best to just do mutliple sets of the old standards like pink dumbbell concentration culs in the squat rack?

Actually, just wanted to thank you for all your help, I added another 25 pounds to my squat in the last month following your suggestions. You are the man!

Rolo.[/quote]

I think it’s an over-rated concept. A better idea is to use “uncoopertaive loads.”

[quote]bobbyt wrote:
Hi Charles,

I’m not incredibly familiar with your training philosophies…what are your thoughts on unstable surface training?[/quote]

“uncooperative loads” as in sand bags, kegs, tires, etc.?

Yeah, those are pretty uncooperative! I.e., strongman events…

[quote]bobbyt wrote:
“uncooperative loads” as in sand bags, kegs, tires, etc.?[/quote]

What about the use of a slide board for conditioning? Is this a modality you’ve ever utilized?

Sure, but again these things have very specific applications. The slide board, to be specific, can be effective for glute-medius and/or quad training, depending on the drills you use.

[quote]bobbyt wrote:
What about the use of a slide board for conditioning? Is this a modality you’ve ever utilized?[/quote]

I may be nitpicking, but with all the GPP/work capacity alternatives that can be performed on any traditional surface, it seems to me that the slideboard might not be “specific” to anything but skating. I guess where I’m going with this is there is a yoda who is always touting the slideboard as a phenomenol tool for HIIT. My position is if you can wear a weight vest, carry a sandbag, pull/push a sled, perform the Farmer’s Walk, why dick around with a slide board? Am I making any sense?

Absolutely, I agree.

[quote]bobbyt wrote:
I may be nitpicking, but with all the GPP/work capacity alternatives that can be performed on any traditional surface, it seems to me that the slideboard might not be “specific” to anything but skating. I guess where I’m going with this is there is a yoda who is always touting the slideboard as a phenomenol tool for HIIT. My position is if you can wear a weight vest, carry a sandbag, pull/push a sled, perform the Farmer’s Walk, why dick around with a slide board? Am I making any sense?[/quote]