PRIME TIME STALEY 7/20/05

MY bad I was in a hurry to explain. It bothers me my 40 time is 4.42 and my cone speed is 3.9 3.8. Other guys do it faster and they are corners. I usually am just physical with them but sometimes I wish I had a little bit more quicks ability like my linear.

-Get Lifted

Why are heavy gloves or wrist-weights ineffective when trying to increase punching power or speed? I think I have a good inkling but a detailed answer from you would be a way to end an argument with someone I know who used to train with Tyson.

Amir

[quote]Charles Staley wrote:
The method has a proven track record in events like track & field, cycling, etc., BUT not so good with combat sports in general. Although the example you cite is effective, NOT for punching power, but instead for maintaining your guard (shoulder endurance)

indra wrote:
Hello Charles,
What is your view on training with overweight items in a sports specific way, i.e practising boxing with heavier gloves then normal so you body becomes stronger in that sports specific motion?

Thanks Indra

[/quote]

OK, well with that big a descrepancy between the 40 and cone drill, it makes me suspect your runnign mechanics even more

[quote]Get Lifted wrote:
MY bad I was in a hurry to explain. It bothers me my 40 time is 4.42 and my cone speed is 3.9 3.8. Other guys do it faster and they are corners. I usually am just physical with them but sometimes I wish I had a little bit more quicks ability like my linear.

-Get Lifted[/quote]

Very simple actually: To add functional resistance to a punch, the resistance must line up with the direction of the punch. A pushup or bench press would satisfy this requirement. When you push with weighted hands on the other hand, the resistance is perpendicular to the direction of the punch

[quote]AMIRisSQUAT wrote:
Why are heavy gloves or wrist-weights ineffective when trying to increase punching power or speed? I think I have a good inkling but a detailed answer from you would be a way to end an argument with someone I know who used to train with Tyson.

Amir

Charles Staley wrote:
The method has a proven track record in events like track & field, cycling, etc., BUT not so good with combat sports in general. Although the example you cite is effective, NOT for punching power, but instead for maintaining your guard (shoulder endurance)

indra wrote:
Hello Charles,
What is your view on training with overweight items in a sports specific way, i.e practising boxing with heavier gloves then normal so you body becomes stronger in that sports specific motion?

Thanks Indra

[/quote]

and what do I need to look for or do to correct this?

I always thought of my sprinting being one of my best qualities but what do I need to work on to become more efficient?

-Get Lifted

When I do ladder drills my feet are extremely fast as far as frequency and I would think that is good for linear and side to side but my side to side is not as quick or explosive as I want it to be. I run pretty relaxed with my hands open. I have good stride length and my arms move fast and hang at the 90 degrees. Well, this doesn’t really help explaining it… I will need to get a video together or something. Hard to see what’s going on like this. But maybe you could give me some drils or something to improve the mechanics.

-Get Lifted

In the 40 the first thing to look at is your start. Are you crowding the line sufficiently? Also how long is your first step?

[quote]Get Lifted wrote:
and what do I need to look for or do to correct this?

I always thought of my sprinting being one of my best qualities but what do I need to work on to become more efficient?

-Get Lifted[/quote]

WEll the cone drill from side to side is difficult to run to begin with but my forty first step is long. I could of probably hit a high 4.3 if I didn’t step out to the side as much as I did on the first step. I am the fastest going straight forward on the team but like 4 or 5th side to side.

-Get Lifted

I’m trying to get faster side to side… Moving along a horizontal line not vertical in case I am confusing.