Prime Time: Safety BARR

[quote]marcus_aurelius wrote:
Dave,

Silly question. Do you have any techniques for preventing major bad breath after one eats garlic / onions ?

I know you can get the non-stinky garlic but I’m curious if you have any secrets in the old bag of tricks ?[/quote]

Add ketosis to this as well when carb cycling. And maybe my ridiculous levels of flatulence during the carb cycling, too!

Dave,

Let’s say I have a George Foreman grill and I use it to get rid of excess fat (saturated for the most part). In that case, is there any advantage of buying the extra lean ground beef given that it is more expensive than the fatty variety ?[/quote]

Wow, I had a whole reply typed out but my GF didn’t approve of it, so here I am with nothing to post (thanks Maya!). I go with “lean” instead of “extra lean”.

Occasionally I’ll go with the whole fat variety, because you’re right in that the Foreman is great at draining a lot of the fat (you’re also right about the cost!).

As a side note, apparently if you rinse your beef (in water post cooking) you can get rid of some of that fat (not that this helps with a Foreman). Go figure.

As always, every time I mention a Foreman grill I have to thank Cressey for introducing me to its wonders, and my GF for buying me one (and showing me how to use it).

I’m going to call it a night, and I’ll be back on for two more hours tomorrow.

Don’t forget the article sneak preview!

Cheers

[quote]the MaxX wrote:
marcus_aurelius wrote:
Dave,

Silly question. Do you have any techniques for preventing major bad breath after one eats garlic / onions ?

I know you can get the non-stinky garlic but I’m curious if you have any secrets in the old bag of tricks ?

Add ketosis to this as well when carb cycling. And maybe my ridiculous levels of flatulence during the carb cycling, too![/quote]

If he knows any, he certainly doesn’t apply that knowledge.

Regarding flatulence, I can attest that Dave was single-handedly responsible for almost having our flight back from Staley’s Las Vegas Bootcamp make an emergency landing because the flight attendant thought a terrorist had set off a poison gas bomb.

Only after Dave convinced them that the problem was actually due to his overconsumption of sugar alcohols found in the free protein bars that he had gotten at the Olympia expo, did they agree to continue the flight.

Ryan

[quote]Dr. Ryan wrote:
the MaxX wrote:
marcus_aurelius wrote:
Dave,

I know you can get the non-stinky garlic but I’m curious if you have any secrets in the old bag of tricks ?

Add ketosis to this as well when carb cycling. And maybe my ridiculous levels of flatulence during the carb cycling, too!

Regarding flatulence, I can attest that Dave was single-handedly responsible for almost having our flight back from Staley’s Las Vegas Bootcamp make an emergency landing because the flight attendant thought a terrorist had set off a poison gas bomb.

Only after Dave convinced them that the problem was actually due to his overconsumption of sugar alcohols found in the free protein bars that he had gotten at the Olympia expo, did they agree to continue the flight.

Ryan

[/quote]

Heh heh. It was probably all part of Dave’s Master plan :slight_smile:

[quote]David Barr wrote:
I just wasn’t getting enough n-6’s, but tons of flax and fish oil. I supplemented with Olive oil, which is largely monounsaturated, not omega 6 (NOTE:n-6 =omega 6).

The tests revealed that my cholesterol was high (total was okay but HDL was low and LDL high), and my triglycerides were abnormally low. This freaked me out and I even posted a “WTF?!” on the board. A friend of mine, who’s doing research in the area, told me that a fatty acid imbalance, such as mine, can cause cholesterol problems.

To this day I still don’t know how triglycerides can be “too low”. :stuck_out_tongue:

Of course this ended my self-experimentation with fats (and you can learn from my mistake).

BTW-Nice avatar, yet again.[/quote]

Ok, I was trying to get a handle on what factors affect the fluctuations in cholesterol levels (while prying creepily into your personal life).

How in the HELL could too much fish and flax cause your cholesterol to go to high?? Also:

1. How much were you supplementing with?
  2. How much saturated fat were you getting?
  3. Can your cholesterol go too high when you’re not getting enough SATURATED fat?
  4. What ratio of n-6/n-3 do you think you were eating?

Or maybe you could just explain what factors raise and lower cholesterol (or refer me to an article that does), cause I don’t f’in get this.

Thx

And if you didn’t get my PM again this time something’s f’ed up in the system…or someone is covertly intercepting our top secret messages.

[quote]David Barr wrote:
Sabrina wrote:
Additionally, the simple act of chewing is fairly important to the digestive process is it not? It would seem that if

I looked into this, because it was an issue of contention with the burned children. More specifically, we looked at swallowing, because many of the kids were fed through tubes (and couldn’t eat or drink).

Anyway, it seems that chewing and swallowing had a minimal effect on digestion/absorption.

The enzyme that breaks down carbs in our saliva also exists in our GI tract, so it’s not necessary to leave food in the mouth for too long (but it doesn’t hurt).

Excellent question.

BTW- Best. Avatar. EVER.[/quote]

Wow, I am not sure what happened to the rest of my post! But obviously you got the gist of it. Very interesting on the feeding tube study…

BTW- Thank. You. :slight_smile:

Sabrina

Me back. You ask question.

Dave,

I know you can get the non-stinky garlic but I’m curious if you have any secrets in the old bag of tricks ?[/quote]

Funny, I was just dealing with this the other day… a guy actually ate an onion sandwich!

He would walk down the hall, leaving a cloud of the stench for me to walk through. I normally don’t mind the smell, but for some reason, knowing that it’s coming from a persons body (or at least this guy in particular) bothers me. LOL

Sadly, when we eat these foods, we literally exhale their fumes. In other words, it’s not just in our mouth, but in our blood. Some people even secrete the smell through their pores!

I’ve heard that eating a TON of parsley with your odor food may help, but have never tried this myself.

Good luck!

DB-

What is your opinion on the practice of consuming liquid carbs DURING exercise?

For example, I currently consume a Surge-type beverage within 15-20 minutes of beginning exercise. Then, throughout training, I will sip a Gatorade-type carb-only beverage. Immediately afterward I will have another Surge-type beverage.

Is this overkill?

[quote]the MaxX wrote:

Add ketosis to this as well when carb cycling. And maybe my ridiculous levels of flatulence during the carb cycling, too![/quote]

I should mention that Listerine pocket packs are great for covering up odor. I wouldn’t use to them to try and help with flatulence though…

Besides, this is just your body’s way of telling you that the diet is working, so fire away!

Hey there Dave. Just so you aren’t alone in your corner, I’ll shoot you the same Q I shoot at the good Dr L. You might remember a while back I asked you about artificial sweetener causing the same problems as sugar. Or you might not…either way, I saw on tv this MD talking about aspartame poisoning. He said, amongst other things, that it can cause paradoxal hypoglycemia. Now how can that be?

[quote]Dr. Ryan wrote:

Ryan
[/quote]

Doc, I can understand why you’d make these jokes while you’re safely thousands of miles away from me, but keep in mind that one month from today we’ll be spending the entire day together!

I guess what I’m saying is that you’d better bring your gas mask. LOL

Dave,

I once saw an article on a website that stated that if you put peanut butter under your tongue for 30 seconds, you could spike your insulin …and then you could spit out the peanut butter …
[hence it’s a non caloric way of spiking insulin…supposedly]

Is there any truth to this ?[/quote]

I thought I answered this one last night…

I can’t imagine how that’d work. I mean, sure, you have some kind of sublingual absorption, but of what?

Seems a little sketchy to me. Not the kind of thing I believe until I get sound reasoning behind it.

[quote]Orbitalboner wrote:
Ok, I was trying to get a handle on what factors affect the fluctuations in cholesterol levels (while prying creepily into your personal life).

How in the HELL could too much fish and flax cause your cholesterol to go to high??

Or maybe you could just explain what factors raise and lower cholesterol (or refer me to an article that does), cause I don’t f’in get this.

Thx.[/quote]

Boner, I’m suddenly reminded of GL and his conspiracy theory last week. LOL

I promise you that I’m not holding any secrets back, it’s just a really new concept that we don’t know much about. I was pretty freaked out at first too, which is why I even posted my questions here on the board.

It took a woman who’s doing her Doctorate in the area to dig up the answers (so I guess I may be left out of the secret myself!).

Hell, it may be several years before we have definitive answers WRT this issue. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]Orbitalboner wrote:

1. How much were you supplementing with?
    [/quote]

10g fish oil, 40g flax, 40g olive

[quote]
2) How much saturated fat were you getting?[/quote]

Next to none. Only what I’d get in my skim milk and low fat cottage cheese.

Excellent question. I imagine that the EFA imbalance and the hydrogenated fats were enough to do the job.

[quote]
4) What ratio of n-6/n-3 do you think you were eating?[/quote]

~1:2, and as I noted yesterday 3:1 is normally very high.

[quote]
And if you didn’t get my PM again this time something’s f’ed up in the system…or someone is covertly intercepting our top secret messages.[/quote]

Got it, did you get my second PM to you?

[quote]Camaro Hair wrote:
DB-

What is your opinion on the practice of consuming liquid carbs DURING exercise?

For example, I currently consume a Surge-type beverage within 15-20 minutes of beginning exercise. Then, throughout training, I will sip a Gatorade-type carb-only beverage. Immediately afterward I will have another Surge-type beverage.

Is this overkill?[/quote]

CH, if you’re going on a bulking binge, carbs during exercise are fine. In fact, normally I suggest them, unless the pre/post workout drink protocol is being used.

Since you’re using this protocol, carbs during workout are far less important, but they add Calories and help to maintain blood sugar (which can fall in some people who consume a pre workout drink).

If you’re not all-out bulking, hold off on the during workout carbs, but keep them handy in case your blood sugar drops (which it doesn’t for most people, but it’s an initial precautionary measure).

Cheers

Does no one like the Flying Beagle pic of the week? The look on her face absolutely kills me!

Just got home from school and saw this post so heres what I have to ask.

I have a lower body workout that looks like this.

Mon:
DB Split Squats (3x20) 60 sr
reverse hyper(hamstrings) I don’t know the numebr of sets and reps to use for this any ideas?
One leg DB squad with one leg on the bench other out front.(2x10)60sr

Tues:
Barbell Jump Lunges(6x6)80%-60-70sr
DB Diagonal Lunges(2x20)

Wed:if tuesday workout is missed it gets picked up on wed

Thurs:
Deadlifts-Heavy-6x3
Stiff Leg Deads-4x3
Squats from rock bottom-3x5
Friday:
Stepups-3x20

Thats the main part of the workout. I can fit something on Friday but I don’t really know what else woudl be good to do. I’m concentrating on hip and knee dominant movements on the various days.

I just want to ask you if everytihng looks cool, and what can I do for my upperbody with the extra 5-10 minutes I have left on those lifting days?

[quote]David Barr wrote:
Does no one like the Flying Beagle pic of the week? The look on her face absolutely kills me![/quote]

Actually, the look on the the face of the hoser (I thought I would use a Canadian term to make you feel good) that threw her is the one that I find amusing. I hope he is not your kin folk.

Take care,

Ryan