T Nation

Prime Time - Open Barr

Hey guys, I’ll be in and out answering questions both here and on the latest article thread.

I’ll probably be online for a while tonight…

BTW-DC was amazing, thanks to Phill and TriGWU for putting me with with a place to stay! Perhaps most importantly, Sloan kicked ass.( http://www.sloanmusic.com/ )

this will be as fun as a BARRel of monkeys.

anyways (that was horrible)

I read your recent article today and the gist of it seems to be that the “post workout” window is actually not as small as previously thought, and perhaps LONGER, and that pre-workout nutrition is an even more important factor than post-workout.

So basically what I’m trying to figure out is, when in the world should I take my Surge? I am now really confused.

Also, I was wondering how you eat and pursue nutrition personally and if you could get into that a little bit.

deconfuse me

[quote]CU AeroStallion wrote:
this will be as fun as a BARRel of monkeys.

(that was horrible)[/quote]

Yes. Yes it was. But I appreciate the effort. LOL

[quote]
I read your recent article today and the gist of it seems to be that the “post workout” window is actually not as small as previously thought, and perhaps LONGER, and that pre-workout nutrition is an even more important factor than post-workout.

So basically what I’m trying to figure out is, when in the world should I take my Surge? I am now really confused.

Also, I was wondering how you eat and pursue nutrition personally and if you could get into that a little bit.

deconfuse me[/quote]

I like that last line…

You seem to have the ideas down, so I’m going to cheat and paste in my Generalized Reply II from the Discussion of the article.

1. If you want to grow, don’t workout fasted

2. Eat macronutrients including protein after training

Outline of my current practice: Right now I’m having 1 “large size” serving of Surge 10 minutes before training, and another 15-20 minutes after. I then have either more Surge or a whey concentrate ~ 60 minutes after this. I also have a whey shake (same as drink 3)upon rising.

BTW-I’m modifying this as I go, so these are not meant to be taken as instructions.

Hope this helps until the next article!

David,
When I do high intensity bouts of cardio in the morning should I consume a protein shake before? I normally have a good size Low-Carb Grow! shake before bed. I’ve seen different philosophies on cardio in the morning in a fasted state some say have a protein shake some say to have nothing. I normally do my resistance training later in the evening but wanted to know your thoughts on preworkout nutrition for my morning cardio session.

Great question. I always like having protein before any exercise. I think it will save enough muscle to make a difference in the long run.

Also, I’d stay away from other macronutrients pre cardio (not that you were suggesting you’d consume them).

Cheers

[quote]Makingains wrote:
David,
When I do high intensity bouts of cardio in the morning should I consume a protein shake before? I normally have a good size Low-Carb Grow! shake before bed. I’ve seen different philosophies on cardio in the morning in a fasted state some say have a protein shake some say to have nothing. I normally do my resistance training later in the evening but wanted to know your thoughts on preworkout nutrition for my morning cardio session.[/quote]

Same as last night, I’ll be back and forth between threads, so let’s have 'em!

I thought the article was cool Barr and I hope to see more of this for sure!

Barrhopping is fun but so is this question:

Curious to know why a lower calorie diet totes longer life expectancy. Cell turnover… etc… Why could not the cells keep turning over? I am pretty sure there is a study and I can’t seem to think of it at the moment?

Also;

If you were designing a nutrition program and you added in fat (poly mono omega) why would you add this opposed to carbs. Would there be any reason for you to do this? And if so why?

Lastly,

If you don’t workout then free radicals are reduced…? From a free radical standpoint these little buggers love exercise to bounce around with the DNA.

Is there any data on which type of exercises produce the most free radicals?

Example: Weight lifting produces more free radicals???

Thanks Barr!

-Get Lifted

DB- I know this may be a dumb question but being how casein is a little more expensive then whey what do you think of a whey shake in milk for a mid-day shake( not post workout, I work ou tin the am) in terms of preventing catbloism? Does the milk have any slowing effect on the absorbtion at all or is it just a myth

Barr,
You used this title already.

Dave,

Quick question: How did you get so COOL? Is it just the Canadian thing you have going or what?

Stay strong
MR

David,
In regards to postworkout shakes and protein shakes in general are there any benefits to sipping it as opposed to drinking it in a few gulps. Will prolonging the protein feeding have a greater effect on protein syntesis or is it all the same when it’s in your stomach?

I’m looking forward to your upcoming article.

Quick question on sweeteners, my nutrition Barron: I heard, can’t remember who said it, that they didn’t offer much compared to regular sugar, because they triggered the same metabolic pathway, or something close. Your thoughts on that, and also what do you think of honey as a sugar replacement?

big pump, whey of any kind (except hydrolysate) makes a great mid-day shake. Part of milk solidifies when it hits the stomach, which should theoretically slow digestion relative to a purely liquid meal.

Good call!

[quote]bigpump23 wrote:
DB- I know this may be a dumb question but being how casein is a little more expensive then whey what do you think of a whey shake in milk for a mid-day shake( not post workout, I work ou tin the am) in terms of preventing catbloism? Does the milk have any slowing effect on the absorbtion at all or is it just a myth[/quote]

GL, are you sure there aren’t any more questions you like to ask? :wink:

Here’s the theory: lower food, lower metabolic rate, and subsequently cell turnover. There is neither the requirement nor the substrate available for rapid cell turnover.

Then you get into telomerase and it goes on from there.

BTW- Quality of life would suck on a permanent low cal diet. Can someone please try to get that through to my dad?

[quote]Get Lifted wrote:
Curious to know why a lower calorie diet totes longer life expectancy. Cell turnover… etc… Why could not the cells keep turning over? I am pretty sure there is a study and I can’t seem to think of it at the moment?[/quote]

It’s pretty tough to be deficient in carbs, but all too easy with essential fats.

I have also seen data suggesting that n-3 fatty acids can increase calorie expenditure, which is good for most people.

Nice and simple.

Look kid, just because you have a picture of your girlfriend riding a bike as your avatar, doesn’t mean you can start questioning my choice of titles!

BTW-Cool avatar.

[quote]TriGWU wrote:
Barr,
You used this title already.

[/quote]

GL, You know that’s an interesting question. It’s never been directly compared, but I’m sure you could get a rough idea from comparing the literature.

Having said that, there are different types of free radical damage that occur, so you’d have to look at similar markers in the same aspect of the model (eg blood).

[quote]Get Lifted wrote:

Is there any data on which type of exercises produce the most free radicals?

Example: Weight lifting produces more free radicals???

Thanks Barr!

-Get Lifted[/quote]

MR, you know, it’s really a curse. I don’t know how it happened but the ladies love it. Now I’m stuck with the daily, nay, hourly task of turning them all down and dashing all of their hopes and dreams.

How do you deal with it?

[quote]Mike Robertson wrote:
Dave,

Quick question: How did you get so COOL? Is it just the Canadian thing you have going or what?

Stay strong
MR[/quote]

I prefer to get it down quickly as this will speed gastric emptying. I believe the sipping is intentionally meant to do the opposite.

The sooner you get it in, the bigger the spike, then you can do your next drink!

[quote]Makingains wrote:
David,
In regards to postworkout shakes and protein shakes in general are there any benefits to sipping it as opposed to drinking it in a few gulps. Will prolonging the protein feeding have a greater effect on protein syntesis or is it all the same when it’s in your stomach?

I’m looking forward to your upcoming article.[/quote]

I put a ring on my finger; needless to say, that slowed down the traffic quite a bit!

Stay strong
MR

[quote]David Barr wrote:
MR, you know, it’s really a curse. I don’t know how it happened but the ladies love it. Now I’m stuck with the daily, nay, hourly task of turning them all down and dashing all of their hopes and dreams.

How do you deal with it?

Mike Robertson wrote:
Dave,

Stay strong
MR[/quote]