Prime Time MR

I posted this in the “Jobs” thread, but we’ll be looking for strength coach to assist me, probably in the next month or so. We’ll be working with some general pop people on the side to make ends meet, but will eventually cater to strictly athletes. I saw one of the facilities we’ll be using today, and I’m really excited about this opportunity.

If any of you would be interested, shoot me a PM or e-mail and I’ll let you know when we’re going to start the application process!

Stay strong
MR

Mike, what type of exercises would you go with for the beginner? All I can think of would be pushups, situps, bw squats, lunges, various other unweighted ab work? What other bodyweight movements would you recommend for a beginner?

Also, how do you sell a 7th,8th,9th grade kid that they need to do this to develop a base before going on to the big lifts? I like the idea of doing this but I would be a bit scared of having a young kid all excited to get into the weightroom and start lifitng, but get mad when you tell him that he has to concentrate on this movements for a number of weeks. I would worry that the young man would be so mad that he would stop coming to the weight room becasue he feels he can just do these at home (although he won’t) and then gets nothing out of the offseason.

Would it possibilty be ok to start them off with a couple of the big basic weight exercises (bench, squat, rev hyper, etc.) and then throw in more bodyweight movements, just to keep the child interested in weight training?

It depends on the kid; some are naturally strong enough and can start off with basic free-weight movements. Others will be lucky to survive on bodyweight exercises alone.

Your goal as a strength coach is to help the kids see the big picture. If you are doing something for their own benefit and you explain it well, they will listen to you. You always need to have their best interests in mind. If you are doing the right thing for them and they choose to go somewhere else, that’s their own fault. Chances are they will end up injured and wishing they would’ve listened to you in the first place.

I can’t express enough that it’s part of your job to explain to them WHY they are doing what they’re doing, not just how to do it. Good luck!

Stay strong
MR

[quote]buckeye75 wrote:
Mike, what type of exercises would you go with for the beginner? All I can think of would be pushups, situps, bw squats, lunges, various other unweighted ab work? What other bodyweight movements would you recommend for a beginner?

Also, how do you sell a 7th,8th,9th grade kid that they need to do this to develop a base before going on to the big lifts? I like the idea of doing this but I would be a bit scared of having a young kid all excited to get into the weightroom and start lifitng, but get mad when you tell him that he has to concentrate on this movements for a number of weeks. I would worry that the young man would be so mad that he would stop coming to the weight room becasue he feels he can just do these at home (although he won’t) and then gets nothing out of the offseason.

Would it possibilty be ok to start them off with a couple of the big basic weight exercises (bench, squat, rev hyper, etc.) and then throw in more bodyweight movements, just to keep the child interested in weight training? [/quote]