T Nation

Prime Time For Monday June 27

What do all you experts think of the following foods? Share any likes/dislikes. Any information you have on the food, brands or types you like, better choices, etc.

1) Apples

2) Strawberries

3) Watermelon

4) Bannanas

5) Oranges

6) Blueberries

7) Peanut Butter & Jelly

8) Steak

9) Cereals

10) Oatmeal

11) Frozen Veggie Mixes

12) Potatoes (baked)

13) Green/Red Peppers

14) Ketchup and other condiments

15) Spices

Anything else you want to add be my guest

I'd like to know as well. Thanks

Can I jump in, too? I was just wondering about two items in particular.

butter/margarine/spread - what's the healthiest choice?

mayonnaise - regular, lowfat, fat-free, canola - I like a dab on my sandwich sometimes, what's the healthiest choice?

I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really hope Danny John replies to this thread.

I can just see it now:

"they are yummy"

BFG

I use Smart Balance buttery spread. It has no trans fat and tastes good too. I sound like a commercial. :frowning:

Oooops. Just saw the "expert" part. I'm not an expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

This is interesting... Please bear in mind that being from Canada we do not have most of the items below (except frozen vegetables and harbor seal).

Make my mouth itch when I eat them (no kidding).

A kick ass flavor of Grow! Did they make a fruit out of this? Also the flavor of my fave Little Debbie snack cake.

Best fruit for convenience, but not all that sturdy. Excellent for nocturnal feedings.

Best combo since PB and chocolate. Excellent for Calories.

Next to sushi, my fave non-sweet food.

Captain Crunch, Golden Grahams, and Honey Nut Cheerios taste great and work well for Calories.

Probably the first staple on the list.

A product of the Canadian artic and another staple.

Fave vegetables. Great cooked or raw!

Ketchup has bioavailable lycopene, which has been shown to maintain normal "blood pressure" response following a fatty meal.

16) Harbour Seal: Deserves the English spelling, because it is so rich and tender.

17) ORANGE JUICE: Great for Calories. "Florida's Natural" makes me feel like I'm drinking from an orange (and not because it contains hallucinogens)! I'm sure there's other good stuff in there too.

We should bump this for Dr. Lonman.

Not mine; what's up with you, Dave? Also, nifty study from Brazil a while back showing 3-a-day with no other changes = fat loss.

Love them with other berries in oatmeal; high in lignins

Higher glycemic index; everybody thinks they're a cure for muscle cramps.

I try to keep my PB away from sugars, like with some low-carb, high fiber bread as a treat; tasty with a vanilla protein shake.

Top round steak is lean beef; I like it in strips along with chicken stips in fajitas, salads, etc. - despite my growing paranoia over mad cow disease here in the midwest.

Dude, LUCKY CHARMS :wink:

Here too. I think the next time I cut kcal for a secific reason/ date, I'm eating three bowls of this super filling stuff per day.

Buy a bag and make it disappear by the end of the week as a start into eating more veggies. As good as fresh when compared to canned.

Hate green (taste) but love other colors. Load of vit. C.

Still, condiments should not become a crutch as one moves toward learning to like fresh whole foods.

Eat 'em almost every day.

Good; eat 'em occasionally.

Never eat 'em.

Only eat them when I need a lot of dense calories (i.e. right after a weigh-in).

Like 'em; eat 2-3 per week.

Love 'em, but don't get to eat them too often. I'd eat the frozen ones, but I'm from Maine, so ones that aren't fresh just will never be the same.

Love crunchy natural peanut butter, but never use jelly.

I eat a lot of dead cow.

Hot cereals often, cold cereals rarely.

Good stuff!

Use them every day!

Sweet potatoes occasionally, never the white ones, though.

Good stuff.

I wouldn't lump them all together. I'm a hot sauce fanatic, but never eat ketchup. I like salsa, soy sauce, among others, though.

Use a lot of them, especially oregano, garlic, chili powder, crushed red peppers, salt, and pepper.

Yep, good point. I was referring to ketchup, mustard and mayo, as the thread was suggesting. Not that there's anything specifically bad about the former two. There are tons of flavor enhaners (seasonings and sauces) with functional food properties. Writing a "chapter" for my online functional food mini text right now, in fact.