T Nation

Prime Time: Climbing Everest

Ok Coaches, I’m going to be working with a guy who is going to attempt to climb Mt. Everest next year. Can you guys please give me some main points to cover and things to look into? This is my first time working with a big time atlethe and I want to bust my ass for him

Everest is 29,000 feet, he’s climbed as high as 25,000 before. Since he has exerpeience I’d imagine he’s shoulder in shoulder flexion and in vertical pulling

So please help me out, what are some main points to focus on for his climb but and also on his way down

bump bump bump

well, I’ve been TOLD that what gets you on everst is the altitude; apparently it’s not a very technically difficult climb, so you may need to work the aerobic systems more. I have no idea if thats helpful

coaches please

[quote]bigpump23 wrote:
Ok Coaches, I’m going to be working with a guy who is going to attempt to climb Mt. Everest next year. Can you guys please give me some main points to cover and things to look into? This is my first time working with a big time atlethe and I want to bust my ass for him
[/quote]

So by “my,” you mean that you’re the one doing the work?

Very simply, I’m just trying to say that if you’re prepared enough to take on the responsibility of working with an accomplished/elite athlete, you should have complete faith in your ability to write a program that will help him/her succeed.

Likewise, if he’s paying you, you should be doing the leg work to prepare yourself intellectually for the challenge; this goes beyond simply asking others for help.

Hopefully, this won’t come across as overly harsh, but it’s a lesson you’d be well-off learning early on.

isnt K-2 much harder to climb supposedly its a bitch everest from what ive read is just a killer because of the altitude i mean yea the climb is rough but i think some anaerobic work coupled with some aerobic work would be good for the conditioning and i think it should be done in the boots that are going to be worn and carrying the backpacks and stuff you gotta get used to that weight also id find some steep hills and get him to climb them everest is more like a hardcore hike than a climb anyway if im wrong lemme know hope i helped

[quote]bigpump23 wrote:
coaches please[/quote]

Good Lord, man; you’re pleading.

Didn’t a guy just fall to his death on Everest a couple of weeks ago?

[quote]Eric Cressey wrote:
bigpump23 wrote:

So by “my,” you mean that you’re the one doing the work?

Very simply, I’m just trying to say that if you’re prepared enough to take on the responsibility of working with an accomplished/elite athlete, you should have complete faith in your ability to write a program that will help him/her succeed.

Likewise, if he’s paying you, you should be doing the leg work to prepare yourself intellectually for the challenge; this goes beyond simply asking others for help.

Hopefully, this won’t come across as overly harsh, but it’s a lesson you’d be well-off learning early on.[/quote]

tue EC I have done ALOT of leg work on my own for this, I just wanna make sure my first time is on point