T Nation

Prime Time: Barrt Simpson

In honor of the release of season 6 on DVD, this week's theme is...

Picture of the Week: Prepping the car for Speed Holes

Site of the Week: www.theSimpsons.com

For the record, you can play Billy Graham's Bible Blaster on the site. Not kidding.

Prime Time. Now.

Barr-none,

Any interesting ninja stories to report? I've been fighting in the name of justice out here in Montana!

-Nate

Hey DB,

Thanks for taking the time again. Okay, you've helped me nail post-workout nutrition down to a science, but the pre and peri-workout stuff is still getting "perfected".

You've said that a peri-workout drink isn't necessary because your amino levels stay elevated all the way through your workout if you have a pre-workout drink.

With that said, is there any benefit, or on the contrary, reason to avoid having some of the drink pre-workout, and the rest of it peri-workout?

Also, since you personally only have a pre-workout drink, what do you drink during your training, just water?

Nate, it may not be a surprise that the only kind of ninja we have in Canada is the Snow ninja. In fact I am a certified Class IV Snow Ninja... although I've already said too much.

Keep up the good work!

For those in upcoming football camp, it's a good idea to use lipoic acid at the end of the training along with your Surge.

This will assist the transport of glucose into the muscle, which is normally disrupted due to the excessive damage.

Dave,

What articles are you working on? Any plans for a diet article?

Thanks.

Bauer, I'm not a big fan of Calorie-containing drinks during a workout (unless they're necessary -see below).

Scientifically speaking, we've seen that drinks consumed immediately after a workout result in 30% lower protein synthesis rates, compared to when the drink is consumed an hour later.

Whatever the cause, the impaired benefits would be similar to those seen wehn a drink is consumed during the workout.

In other words, you're getting half the benefit from a pre-workout drink, and half of the reduced benefit from a drink consumed immediately post workout.

Not-so-scientifically speaking, no matter how much I dilute the drink, I always feel that it's too think during my workout.

Having said all of that, when people first begin pre-workout supplementation, I always suggest that they have a carb-containing beverage on hand, just in case their blood sugar crashes.

Hi DB,

Your response to the Surge + Power Drive thread ( http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;hydra?id=733123 ) was a classical Barr promotion!

Geek boy

Stern, I've been working on about a hundred articles this summer, and have some great stuff coming up! I want to get my web site ready for launch by the time of my next article release.

I don't want to give too much away yet, but I'll have a brand new free article available on my site at launch.

The next T-Nation article will likely be a much-needed creatine update, and I am co-authoring a BIG impact article with another T-Nation contrib. (not sure how much he wants me to reveal just yet).

To answer your other question, I'm working on a bulking diet article. So far, I have no plans for a cutting diet article, but your question has me thinking...

Dave,

Simpsons? Are they those yellow people?

LOL geekboy, speaking of self promotion, that's an impressive compilation of threads on Power Drive you had going there!

I encourage everyone to check out the thread. I like.

Yup, the ones that aren't funny anymore.

Heh heh heh.

royal, I think you are a bit confused... The Simpson's are a loving family who live in Quahog Rhode Island.

They have a new movie out called "Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story!"

If you have a boyfriend, she may know a little about them... :wink:

"These charges are false! Our muscles are the result of hundreds of squat thrusts and somersaults done on the hard ground!"

Here's an interesting study that should have gained a little more media attention...

Pelvic floor exercises for erectile dysfunction.
BJU Int. 2005 Sep;96(4):595-7.

After 6 months, blind assessment showed that 40% of men had regained normal erectile function, 35.5% improved but 24.5% failed to improve. CONCLUSION This study suggests that pelvic floor exercises should be considered as a first-line approach for men seeking long-term resolution of their erectile dysfunction.

This is in response to the Arginine thread in this forum: http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=733046

I was sitting at my desk one day when I got a call from Ed Byrd. It was seemingly random and bizarre situation...

We spoke for a bit and he seemed like a good guy. Although we agreed to speak further, my attempts to contact him were not answered.

Strange...

I just want to emphasize how HUGE this study is. While it won't affect the drug companies, because hey, who wants to workout when you can take a pill, it's some thing that the T-Nation crowd could get into.

I've resorted to quoting myself. That's just sad.

[how low can you go?]

This just reminded me of something...

Anyhow, a couple of friends and I were wondering what would be a good energy source during a powerlifting meet. One guy nixed the idea of straight food on the premis that the energy from digestion would detract from performance. I stood firm that something would have to be ingested because nothing would be more detrimental, and another guy supposed that it wouldn't matter, because the load is mainly neurological and takes too long to recover from.
Any suggestions?

I received a question about CLA via PM and thought I'd answer it here.

Basically, CLA is a big question mark. It's been around for years (who here remembers TC's first article on CLA in MM2K?), but the more we learn the more complicated the situation gets.

I could write a whole article on the equivocal literature, but I think it's sufficient to suggest that you save your money.

As an exclamation point on this, some studies suggest that either "type" (ie isomer) may have a negative effect.