T Nation

Prime Time: Barrometer Dropping

Image of the Week: Damn hurricanes.

Just 2 days ago, Toronto received the remnants of hurricane Dennis. It was described as the worst storm people had seen in their life.

Question of the Week: If remnants of hurricanes are that bad, how is Galveston, which is essentially a Sand Barr in the Gulf, going to survive a direct hit?

For those who don't know, Galveston (where I live) is famous for being the site of the most deadly natural disaster in US history.

Site of the Week: http://www.1900storm.com/

Let's do Prime Time.

A Dave Barr stuck out on a Sand Barr?

JM, on hot days I'm a big fan of replenishing electrolyte lost in sweat. As for the CHO content, CHO's only affect performance if the exercise is of extended duration (ie >90 min.).

Having said that, the CHO's may help keep you in an anticatabolic state (or at least slightly less catabolic) if you're fasted.

Cheers

Helix, that's a good point. I don't think that digestion/absorption would greatly affect most antioxidants, so for now it's okay to take them without concern.

I'll keep an eye on this field for updates.

Brotzfrog, extreme dieting can work for some, but may drive others crazy. If you want to experiment with the Velocity diet then great.

The Anabolic Diet also seems to have quite a following here, and one of the largest and most knowledgeable board members uses it with great success (although I don't want to mention Disc Hoss LOL).

Regardless, low CHO seems to be the preferred method. Even for those who don't like traditional low CHO diets, restricting CHO intake for the latter half of the day is a great idea.

Rather than focusing on just the decrease in body fat, pay close attention to your psychological well being. Not everyone is suited to every diet, and success is largely based on finding the diet that works for you.

Bottom Line: If something is driving you crazy, don't be afraid to change it. Conversely, if a diet is working and you're happy with it, then don't be afraid to stick to it!

Let us know how it goes!

On Shugart's Cool Tip:

This also works for facial expressions. Smiling evokes feelings of happiness, while frowning or scowling has the opposite effect. It's not as powerful as Paxil (for example), but helps for a small mood lift.

Wow, another solid Prime Time thread name for the Barrbarian!

Rethinking Arginine Supplements

It's interesting that arginine has become the only amino acid used in an attempt to stimulate nitric oxide synthesis. The reason it's interesting, is that nitric oxide is an incredibly simple molecule consisting of a single Nitrogen and single Oxygen.

So it's conceivable that other substances/amino acids could be used in the production of this molecule.

Not that this would actually enhance NO levels to a useable extent, but it's an interesting thought. LOL

To take this a step further, Neuroscientists have also demonstrated that merely imagining the word "upset" or "happy" will send action potentials to the respective facial musculature, even without movement occuring.

Barrel of monkeys,

Crazy monkeys in a barrel have crazy questions.

one monkey wants to know what barr thinks would be better to eat during a 3 day camp. Lot's of running, sore muscles etc... More protein or more carbs being emphasized or fat?

Any ideas really that would be interesting. I only get about 3 meals but I will smuggle some things into the room as well. Greens + and Low-Carb Grow!.

Any ideas barr?

-Get Lifted

Thanks for the question Chad, the answer is yes! Unfortunately this does not work for everything. For example, imagining that you can fly does not grant you the power to fly. Likewise, imagining that you will win the lottery does not mean that you'll hit the jackpot. Cheers

Hey DB glad I caught tonight. I would love you feedback on timing the supplement stack I am using right now. I am 10 weeks out and will be rotating my carbs with 1highcarb,3modcarbs and 3 lowcarbs. I am taking alpha male 3pills twice a day, methoxy 2 pills twice a day, and carbolin 1 pill twice a day. What is the most ideal time to take these. Should I take one or two of them together in am or those two at night. What do you suggest? Thanks for the kind words the other night.

Hey Dave,

I was wondering if red wine can be included in my diet if my goal is fat loss. I've heard of the heart-healthy benefits of red wine, but wasn't sure if it was worth while calorically.

Thanks!

-Tea-Vixen

Hey DB glad I caught tonight. I would love you feedback on timing the supplement stack I am using right now. I am 10 weeks out and will be rotating my carbs with 1highcarb,3modcarbs and 3 lowcarbs. I am taking Alpha Male 3pills twice a day, Methoxy-7 2 pills twice a day, and Carbolin 19 1 pill twice a day. What is the most ideal time to take these. Should I take one or two of them together in am or those two at night. What do you suggest? Thanks for the kind words the other night.

GL, you're going to want to focus on CHO's and protein for the camp. Having said that, you'll be burning calories pretty bad and fat will help with that.

The bottom line is that you need to get as many Cals as possible, but focus on protein and CHO's for recover/energy. Camp is a killer and you should be breaking down muscle pretty bad.

If you can take anticatabolic supplements, this is where they'll shine!

The answer is "yes"? Uh Barr, have you been snorting Surge? That wasn't a question, it was a statement.

Mike, your current practice looks great. Dividing the supplements into divided doses is the best way to maximize efficiency.

Is this the same carb rotation you used for your last contest?

Based on your pictures, this regime seems to be working well. LOL

I'm curious though, why no HOT-ROX if you're 10 weeks out?

I had been taking hot rox for a while so my thought was to cut it out for a couple of weeks and then reintroduce it around 7 weeks out. So should I take certain supps in the moprning rather than in the evening? This is my breakdown: Morning - 3x Alpha Male
- 2x Methoxy-7
Mid Day - 3x Alpha Male
- 1x Carbolin 19
Night - 2x Methoxy 7
- 1x Carbolin 19
When I add HOT-ROX back it will be 4xmorning.

What is you view on the supplement cordyceps?

Tea-Vixen, I'd limit the intake of red wine while on a diet. Although alcohol directly hinders muscle growth at the cellular level, having a glass won't affect you much.

The problem lies in the fact that alcohol contains 7 Calories per gram, which is almost as much as fat! There's a high concentration of carbs (CHO's) in red wine as well.

Also, the "miracle ingredient"; resveratrol seems to have estrogenic activity which won't help fat loss.

Now realistically, if you really like wine, then having a glass won't kill you, or even prevent you from losing fat. It's just better to cut it out if you can. If not, just try to minimize its intake.

Great question!

Hey Dave,

I'm thinking of starting the V-diet next week. I'm wondering how low the carb intake has to go to hit solid ketosis since I prefer to mix my low-carb protein shakes in non-hardcore carb-laden milk.

ty, Grork

p.s. I'm not sure if this is the type of question that gets answered during prime time, my apologies if it isn't