Prime Time: Barrney and Friends

Hi im new. I have been using Cretine from GNC. It doesnt have a expiration date so i guess im going to get off of it. I got aminos, whey, multi, glutamine w/ nac, cla, fish oil. All from GNC because it was cheap with their GoldCard. Ive been reading a lot of T-Nation in the last 4 days. GNC = Crap. Im also on a budget. I work at CompUSA so i like expressing my geekiness with my body. I have mashed lentils and co-workers look at me weird. Anyways… i have been using creatine monohydrate 5g before and 5g after. I really cant tell if it works cuz i have a lot of supplements that work together. Uni-Liver tabs 4 with each meal(8), AnimalPak, JointSupport, NO2, GABA and ZMA. Im 21. Any suggestions for long term, short term? I have been ‘Building my rep’, good form, heavy weights and compound movements. I follow Berardi Massive Eating. Eat very clean and dont cheat. Started 185lb 13%bf , NOW 195lb 10%bf. I have been training and eating right (better) for 7 weeks.

I attended a John Davies seminar this past weekend in Toronto. It was very cool (figuratively) and I learned how to not kill myself with kettlebells.

Overall it was a very cool day (literally) and the presentation was great -both practical and theoretical. What amazed me most is what he could tell about me and my lifts based on his experience.

With only a couple of KB swings, he asked if I had tight hip flexors. He could also tell about the way I squat, pull, and where my weaknesses were.

Simply amazing.
Great guy too!

Before anybody else gives a hell, the no2 is about as useful as a bowl of soy flakes after your workout, other than that keep it up man!

Hey Dave,

Just wanted to know your opinion on enova oil…couple of questions. and please throw out anything else that comes to mind

1. are any of the negatives associated with soy protein also found in soy oil, from which (along with canola) enova is made
  2. is this stuff essentially a overhyped mct?
    3)have you had any experience with it and what do you think about it in terms of improvments in body comp?

Awesome, thanks again Dave

[quote]Dezz wrote:
Yo Barr

Read your last article, great read!

My question is about ALA usage in which you briefly covered. I was under the impression that ALA post exercise, as in a Surge+creatine coctail, would do more damage than good? I have recently been supplementing 200mg ALA 20-30 min after my Surge and 5-10 min before my massive p+c solid food meal. Thoughts suggestions?
[/quote]

Yo Dezz, you’re right in that ALA could hinder muscle growth far more than it could help. I wouldn’t use it unless you’re a Type II diabetic (ironically, in which case, I couldn’t legally talk to you about it).

[quote]
Another question about adding the table salt to enhance creatine uptake. Just add this into my post workout Surge? how much? And previously with my one-scoop post workout Surge (on a budget now) I have been adding about 12oz of water. Would mixing it up in as much as a litre help with absorption?[/quote]

Surge already has a little sodium, but if you’re using one scoop and eat a very clean diet, you may want to add a pinch (scientific term). Really, one scoop and the sodium from our diet should be plenty.

[quote]
Always appreciate your knowledge!

dezz[/quote]

No worries!

[quote]simpletbrain wrote:
Hi im new. I have been using Cretine from GNC. It doesnt have a expiration date so i guess im going to get off of it. I got aminos, whey, multi, glutamine w/ nac, cla, fish oil. All from GNC because it was cheap with their GoldCard. Ive been reading a lot of T-Nation in the last 4 days. GNC = Crap. Im also on a budget. I work at CompUSA so i like expressing my geekiness with my body. I have mashed lentils and co-workers look at me weird. Anyways… i have been using creatine monohydrate 5g before and 5g after. I really cant tell if it works cuz i have a lot of supplements that work together. Uni-Liver tabs 4 with each meal(8), AnimalPak, JointSupport, NO2, GABA and ZMA. Im 21. Any suggestions for long term, short term? I have been ‘Building my rep’, good form, heavy weights and compound movements. I follow Berardi Massive Eating. Eat very clean and dont cheat. Started 185lb 13%bf , NOW 195lb 10%bf. I have been training and eating right (better) for 7 weeks. [/quote]

Well there’s a lot to work with here. This is why I set up my services so I can help show you to take it to the next level. You’ve done a great job so far (congratulations), and I just HATE seeing people get ripped off with supplements.

Here’s a thread about glutamine with links to the articles on it: http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=768812

This may be easier if I simply suggest what I like, implying that I do not believe the rest to be useful.

Do you need joint support? Otherwise I’d only creatine 3-5g post workout, along with your protein/carb drink.

Congratulations on your success!
D

[quote]pgnCF wrote:
Hey Dave,

Just wanted to know your opinion on enova oil…couple of questions. and please throw out anything else that comes to mind

1. are any of the negatives associated with soy protein also found in soy oil, from which (along with canola) enova is made
  2. is this stuff essentially a overhyped mct?
    3)have you had any experience with it and what do you think about it in terms of improvments in body comp?[/quote]

pgnCF, ENOVA is on my “one to watch” list, because it has potential as a standard supplement (like flax oil for example).

From what little research I have found on soy-based oils, it doesn’t seem like they possess the phytoestrogens that we need to be worried about.

Practical, real-world experience is lacking right now, but it seems like a good source of healthy fats at the very least.

This stuff has potential…

Okay guys I’ll be back tomorrow (Thursday). Thanks for all of the feedback!

D

I just noticed that Hilary Duff is 18 today. NOW I have a shot!

I’m back for PT tonight (Thursday). Questions? Answers? Comments?

hi david thanks for taking questions. i hope people realize just how great of a service this is.

I have two questions for tonight. Do you feel that morning carbs and post workout carbs are essentials even if someone is cutting. Also about the post workout carb intake, if someone is trying to cut would it be best to have half a serving of Surge 10 min before then the other half 30 mins or so later like you discussed in your workout nutrition article.

A second question I had, since the above all fell into one are I counted them as one even though they are probably at least three, was in reference to carb cycling. Is it a process that you have any personal experience with or even sucess with. Do you think it would be a better idea then near ketonic like diets, which I have tried but with no success all i achieved was knowing what it would be like stranded the space station( i was permanently out in space i felt like george clooney in solaris seeing things that werent there or where they?)

Would some kind of moderate to low carb approach be better then for losing a fair amount of fat then almost none at all.

thanks alot

Hi David,

My mom read the in the newspaper that no independant tests are performed by the government on protein shakes to verify if they contain the amount of ingredients companies claim they have. Is this correct?

Thanks!

David

[quote]brotzfrog10 wrote:
hi david thanks for taking questions. i hope people realize just how great of a service this is.

I have two questions for tonight. Do you feel that morning carbs and post workout carbs are essentials even if someone is cutting.
[/quote]

No to both.

[quote]
Also about the post workout carb intake, if someone is trying to cut would it be best to have half a serving of Surge 10 min before then the other half 30 mins or so later like you discussed in your workout nutrition article. [/quote]

I don’t think there has ever been more confusion or speculation WRT one of my articles than this. I’m curious, how did you come to the timing protocol above? That sounds like JB, not me. Some habbits never die I guess. :wink:

[quote]
Would some kind of moderate to low carb approach be better then for losing a fair amount of fat then almost none at all.

thanks alot[/quote]

I start people off with very low carbs and only when they can’t handle it do I increase. While I believe that ultra low is metabolically conducive to fat loss, there are just too many problems for most people with that protocol.
Hope that helps!

[quote]JDavid wrote:
Hi David,

My mom read the in the newspaper that no independant tests are performed by the government on protein shakes to verify if they contain the amount of ingredients companies claim they have. Is this correct?

Thanks!

David[/quote]

David, while that is true, the supplement industry has bigger problems than that. The common practice of using harmful ingredients, and making outrageous unsubstantiated claims, are really going to cause us problems.

The industry is doing a great job of digging its own grave.

Yesterday I mentioned that Davies seminar and his rapid assessment of my KB swing position.

It seems that I apply a huge torso lean to any hip extension movement I do. On top of that, my stance is always wider than shoulder width -perhaps wider than it needs to be.

I wonder if this is carryover from years of hockey and power skating, but it just feels “locked in” when I get my torso down to my quads with a nice wide stance.

Hey David, I’d like to first thank you for answering my two e-mails this past week. It was very helpful and I’ve used what you’ve given me since.

Now I’ve noticed T-Nation Prime Time so though I’d take advantage of the opportunity to pick your brain even more!

I just got one question for the moment:

I’m taking ALA for it’s anti-oxidative properties. I was wondering what would be the best times of day to use it? What time of day should I avoid using it?

[quote]Jujimufu wrote:
Hey David, I’d like to first thank you for answering my two e-mails this past week. It was very helpful and I’ve used what you’ve given me since.
[/quote]

No problem. Glad to help!

[quote]
Now I’ve noticed T-Nation Prime Time so though I’d take advantage of the opportunity to pick your brain even more!

I just got one question for the moment:

I’m taking ALA for it’s anti-oxidative properties. I was wondering what would be the best times of day to use it? What time of day should I avoid using it?[/quote]

I’d use it 12 hours apart, in the morning and at night -but not right before bed.

NAC has a similar antioxidant activity but does not inhibit protein synthesis the way ALA does.

Hey DB,

Fairly un-challenging question for you this evening (as if my other questions are such brain-stumpers)…

How many grams of protein and simple carbs post-workout do you recommend for a fairly lean 265 pound male looking to gain lean mass?

Big Barr,

One other inquiry: Regarding Beta Alanine supplementation, is there a period of time between the start of consumption and the effects beginning, or is it pretty immediate, like a typical food product?

Also, any benefit/negative effect to taking one of the doses peri-workout in a drink?