Prime Time: Barrmadillo

Well I finally left Galveston and arrived in Boston early this morning. Here’s my trip by the numbers:

30 Hours of Driving
2400 Kilometres Travelled
2 Days
1500 Calories consumed per day
8 Police Cars seen on entire trip
6 of those after I hit DC
25 Dollars spent on tolls
6 Armadillo seen in Texas alone
1 motivation for all of this

Let’s get to Prime Time!

David, I keep calling your number and someone keeps answering the phone saying “Welcome to Big Bob’s Discount Sex Toys Warehouse.” And when I ask “Is Dave There?” the guy yells “hey, another call for Dave!” and then I hear all these guys laughing their asses off. Anyway, maybe PM me your new number?

[quote]David Barr wrote:
Well I finally left Galveston and arrived in Boston early this morning. Here’s my trip by the numbers:

30 Hours of Driving
2 Days

Let’s get to Prime Time![/quote]

[quote]David Barr wrote:

30 Hours of Driving
2 Days

Let’s get to Prime Time![/quote]

Hello Dave,

I sip half a serving of surge during my wowrkout.But how long would you recomend after a workout to finish the other half serving?

Thank’s

You went through CT and didn’t stop to visit? I’m hurt, man.

Seeing your lady friend?

Last week there was an excellent question about the use of Power Drive, and I think that everyone could benefit from the answer.

My main focus is the tyrosine Power Drive contains, because this amino acid is the precursor to epinephrine and norepinephrine (the catecholamines).

Theoretically, if one were to increase levels of this precursor before a workout, you could have more of each available for the workout. DMAE, another ingredient in Power Drive, also works well when used before a workout because it may enhance acetylcholine levels and subsequently muscle contraction.

In other words, these effects can help make us stronger for the workout!

YO BARR, I was wondering what your thoughts were upon CLA use and effectiveness?

Another thing, what do you think about adding a touch of a greens+ type supp. to my pre and primarily post workout surge?

Appreciate the wisdom!

dezz

Dobermann, if you’re to reap the benefits of the insulin spike created by Surge, it’s best to consume Surge within as little time as possible (within reason).

Based on your “1/2 during” protocol, you’d be best off by drinking the rest ASAP post workout.

Cheers

[quote]Dobermann wrote:
Hello Dave,

I sip half a serving of Surge during my wowrkout.But how long would you recomend after a workout to finish the other half serving?

Thank’s [/quote]

Dear Dave

Hi from the University of Waterloo …I used to work out with you up in the ol’ Varsity gym :slight_smile:

Anyway, to the point. Two questions:

i) What do you think of glutamine in it’s roles post-workout nutrition ? Charles Poliquin and others seems to like to use it post-workout instead of carbs if your BF is greater than 10%. In your opinions, is this just a really expensive substitute for carbs or is there some method to his madness ?

ii) Again, regarding glutamine – Charles Poliquin claims that 50g of it is useful in repairing the gut…are you aware of any studies or evidence to support this ? Anecedotal or otherwise…

Best

If anyone orders from Big Bobs in the next 2 days, be sure to use the code “Barr sent me” to receive your 25% discount.

[quote]Charles Staley wrote:
David, I keep calling your number and someone keeps answering the phone saying “Welcome to Big Bob’s Discount Sex Toys Warehouse.” And when I ask “Is Dave There?” the guy yells “hey, another call for Dave!” and then I hear all these guys laughing their asses off. Anyway, maybe PM me your new number?[/quote]

Dezz, CLA is still a big question mark in terms of its effects. This stems largely from the fact that are two main types or “isomers”.

Early research used a mix of both types and the results are equivocal. The cis-9, trans-11 isomer may be beneficial, while the trans-10, cis-12 may actually have negative effects -IF fat loss is the goal.

Right now I don’t think there are enough data to warrant CLA use yet, but this is a hot research topic so keep glued to T-Nation for updates!

[quote]Dezz wrote:
YO BARR, I was wondering what your thoughts were upon CLA use and effectiveness?

Another thing, what do you think about adding a touch of a greens+ type supp. to my pre and primarily post workout surge?

Appreciate the wisdom!

dezz[/quote]

Sorry EC, I considered knocking on your door around 3AM, but then I remembered those pictures of you deadlifting and realized that you could probably kick my ass if provoked.

Seriously, I had been on the road for 18 hours by the time I passed Storrs this morning… but any other time I would have dropped by. Besides, I want more of that chicken.

[quote]Eric Cressey wrote:
You went through CT and didn’t stop to visit? I’m hurt, man.

Seeing your lady friend?[/quote]

1500 calories? And I thought you were a nutrtion guru. Just kidding. But why so low on the calories?

Dave do you believe that there is a benefit to having ALA with your PWO shake? Or, being an antioxidant, do you recommend against this? Sorry if this was asked already.

Dave

Another question. Given what we know about the circadian rhythm and how growth hormone, testosterone, etc peak at a certain time, etc, are these numbers fixed or do they adapt depending on the situtation.

For instance, normally they say that testosterone peaks early in the morning. Now, let’s suppose one is a shift worker with really screwed up hours. So, one’s morning is 7pm and one’s night is 7am…

does the body eventually resynch it’s rhythm is fit the individual or are these daily spikes in hormones somehow fixed ?

Hey Marc, great to hear from you!

Your comment about glutamine being a substitute for carbs isn’t too far off. In fact, most of the effects of glutamine can be achieved by using glucose!

There is one study showing that post cardio, glutamine stimulated glycogen resynthesis to the same extent as glucose. I don’t think this would hold if more glucose were used following resistance training, but it’s splitting hairs.

The problem is that protein synthesis won’t get the boost from glutamine like it would from carbs (and the subsequent insulin stimulation). Further, you have to wonder what the effects of having full liver glycogen has on fat loss.

As for repairing the GI tract, glutamine seems to be of benefit here. In fact, if you ever see studies in animals/humans showing that glutamine enhanced “protein synthesis”, it’s all because of the gut.

While this is normally a problem, because most glutamine is used by the gut before it ever gets to muscle, it can be a good thing when it comes to GI repair. Then again, glutamine doesn’t seem to do much once it hits the muscle anyway, so maybe gut use isn’t a bad thing for muscle after all.

Great questions!

[quote]marcus_aurelius wrote:
Dear Dave

Hi from the University of Waterloo …I used to work out with you up in the ol’ Varsity gym :slight_smile:

Anyway, to the point. Two questions:

i) What do you think of glutamine in it’s roles post-workout nutrition ? Charles Poliquin and others seems to like to use it post-workout instead of carbs if your BF is greater than 10%. In your opinions, is this just a really expensive substitute for carbs or is there some method to his madness ?

ii) Again, regarding glutamine – Charles Poliquin claims that 50g of it is useful in repairing the gut…are you aware of any studies or evidence to support this ? Anecedotal or otherwise…

Best[/quote]

Dave

One more quick question. I’m a natural athlete. I have nothing against juiced lifters, but I do have a nagging question in my head. It is this :

If one uses “juice”, does one somehow raise the “ceiling” of what one’s frame type can accomodate ?

Also, i’ve noticed many of my friends who HAVE juice often actually stagnate year, after year, one they are natural again…so, does using juice in some sense give you a CNS boost that maybe one cannot get through natural means ? (It seems actually many juiced athletes actually can’t seem to “train” as hard as people who’ve never touched it…)

Best

jsb, you were supposed to be banned for laughing at Dr. Ryan’s “Caribou Barrbie” comment last week. BUT since you’re here, I might as well get to your question about why I ate so little.

Basically, I hate eating. I have no appetite and forcing myself to feed every few hours is painful. Normally I get around this by eating more calorically dense foods, but could not make this a priority on the road.

I drove for 21 hours yesterday/this morning, which made my concern for food even less. There’s also a money issue… and the fact that I haven’t trained in 2 weeks (I was banned from my Uni gym for not being a student), took away the nagging voice that normally tells me that I’ll waste away from not eating.

I actually did this caloric intake/no training/sleep deprivation schedule during my last semester of school… it may surprise you to learn that it is NOT conducive to muscle growth.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
1500 calories? And I thought you were a nutrtion guru. Just kidding. But why so low on the calories?[/quote]

[quote]David Barr wrote:
Last week there was an excellent question about the use of Power Drive, and I think that everyone could benefit from the answer.

My main focus is the tyrosine Power Drive contains, because this amino acid is the precursor to epinephrine and norepinephrine (the catecholamines).

Theoretically, if one were to increase levels of this precursor before a workout, you could have more of each available for the workout. DMAE, another ingredient in Power Drive, also works well when used before a workout because it may enhance acetylcholine levels and subsequently muscle contraction.

In other words, these effects can help make us stronger for the workout![/quote]

Hi David,

First off thanks for your advice last time round on my question about protein timing.

I have heard of two different ways of taking Power Drive:

1. Before workout, as seen on the product description and as you said above, and;

2. After workout, as mentioned by CT in his latest article.

Are both ways valid? If yes, then what exactly is Power Drive doing to the body if you take it after W/O?

I am taking Surge immediately after W/O and eat solid food (Full meal: meat, carbs and veggies) 1hr after taking Surge. In my case when should I consume my after W/O Power Drive?

Thanks for answering in advance.

Geek boy

jsb II, ALA can help with creatine storage PWO which makes it interesting. The big issue is that it exerts its antioxidant effect through a similar mechanism as NAC.

This is significant because of the study showing that high (read: typical) antioxidant use post workout leads to greater oxidative damage.

If this excess damage is caused by a specific mechanism, rather than a total high dose, ALA could exacerbate the problem.

I think that dosage is the problem, but have no real evidence to back this up. This makes ALA a potential candidate for PWO, but at a low enough dosage to prevent any glycogen/creatine storage benefits.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
Dave do you believe that there is a benefit to having ALA with your PWO shake? Or, being an antioxidant, do you recommend against this? Sorry if this was asked already.[/quote]

geekboy, the above Power Drive post was originally for your benefit, but I should have specified so… I’m glad you saw it though. Part II was coming if Marc and jsb would stop trolling me. LOL

The theory behind post workout Power Drive is that you’ll assist in recovery by replenishing the neurotransmitters “depleted” during exercise. Again, this is done by supplying the precursor tyrosine.

Although the novel use of Power Drive Post workout is certainly valid, it raises a couple of questions.

Strictly speaking about tyrosine (the amino acid precursor to epinephrine and norepinephrine): do we deplete catecholamine (epi/norepi) levels enough to warrant a double dose? Is a tyrosine spike better than a prolonged “infusion-like” dosing protocol?

I’m a big fan of Pre workout Power Drive (double dose), but if you want to try post workout, I’d dump it in with my Surge. If I recall, Mike Robertson does this and really enjoys the flavor.

[quote]geekboy wrote:
Hi David,

First off thanks for your advice last time round on my question about protein timing.

I have heard of two different ways of taking Power Drive:

1. Before workout, as seen on the product description and as you said above, and;

2. After workout, as mentioned by CT in his latest article.

Are both ways valid? If yes, then what exactly is Power Drive doing to the body if you take it after W/O?

I am taking Surge immediately after W/O and eat solid food (Full meal: meat, carbs and veggies) 1hr after taking Surge. In my case when should I consume my after W/O Power Drive?

Thanks for answering in advance.

Geek boy[/quote]