Prime Time: Barricade

[quote]David Barr wrote:
Orbital, what was your intention when buying these supplements? [/quote]

My goal is to live forever.

Ha yes, the weather is very fortunate. Around my house they’ve mostly just been sitting around drinking coke and killing the odd elderly person/young child. Thanks for the speedy reply.

OB

Bob, UW has no track or football field -or a stadium of any kind for that matter. You can imagine what the weight room is like. :wink:

[quote]Bob A wrote:
I train at the Family Fitness in Mississauga. It’s not exactly powerlifter friendly… But the squat rack and cage are just about always free and they’ve got BBs and DBs with thick handles which I like.

Despite being at UW for almost 4 yrs I have never trained at its weight room, is it worth visiting?[/quote]

Barr,

I want to try ALA but when would be the best time and how many?

-Get Lifted

[quote]David Barr wrote:
Bob II, the timing of your pre workout liquid meal is largely dependent on what you’ve eaten before that meal, as well as when it was eaten.

The soonest (is that even a word?) I’d have my pre-drink (Surge) is 10-15 minutes pre workout. On leg days I like to have a little more time between drink and lift.

Of course if you’re consuming other proteins or carbs, it changes things…

It can get quite complicated, which is why I think I can really help people when my site opens up.

Bob A wrote:

So how soon before a workout should one consume a liquid meal? And for that mater, how soon after the workout do you suggest we have our post workout meal?[/quote]

Fair enough.

Hi DB,

Wanted asked you if you could look at my thread in the T-Vixen Sorority titled Carbs and Weightlifting. Do have anything to add on top of what LL had to say? Thank You for your time.

B-Rock, I’d seriously get some blood work done to look at your hormone levels. Be sure to get both T3 and T4, as well as cortisol and testosterone. Hell, get everything you can.

The reason I suggest this, is because you’re not really eating anything, and if you’ve stalled WRT your fat loss, you’ll likely need to take a bit of a break (of course this will have to come after the contest).

Normally I’d suggest that you increase the Calories and plan to hit the diet again in a couple of months when your body has recovered.

Since this is not an option, you may have to start dropping fat. Increasing omega-3 content can help with fat loss, as can front loading your Calories during the day.

If you’re using anabolics, you have a better chance of getting away with this.

How long have you been dieting for?

Keep us updated!

[quote]B-Rock wrote:
Hi Dave,

Hey am sitting at about 11% bodyfat and 200lb. I am finding it very hard to lean down any further. I am consuming 100 C, 290 P, 90F. I also walk every morning for 1hr (after popping thermogenics) and do 30min cardio after my workouts (5 times a week).

I tried cutting carbs further but went flat as a pancake so have avoided this. I am wanting to compete in 5 weeks and am desperate to lean right down. My calories are clean and am even isolating P+C and P+F meals. My results have been steady over time but have seem to have slowed. I must say I havnt ever been sub 10% bodyfat in my life. Is there a chance?? And any suggestions??

Thanks

Ben [/quote]

GL, ALA is best used in a minor muscle trauma situation. Once you’re adapted to hitting/tackling, ALA won’t be as useful.

Did you already buy it?

[quote]Get Lifted wrote:
Barr,

-Get Lifted[/quote]

buffy, will-do!

[quote]buffy wrote:
Hi DB,

Wanted asked you if you could look at my thread in the T-Vixen Sorority titled Carbs and Weightlifting. Do have anything to add on top of what LL had to say? Thank You for your time.[/quote]

Appreciate the questions guys. I’m officially done this week, but feel free to add to the thread for some closure to the open items.

I’ll be checking…

Cheers

[quote]Chad Waterbury wrote:

Uh, anyone need any colostrum? Anyone…anyone? [/quote]

Potential for growth benefits over whey, at least in one report from Jose Antonio

The effects of bovine colostrum supplementation on body composition and exercise performance in active men and women.

Antonio J, Sanders MS, Van Gammeren D.

University of Delaware, Sports Science Laboratory, Newark, Delaware 19176, USA. exphys@aol.com

The purpose of this study was to determine the effect of 8 wk of bovine colostrum supplementation on body composition and exercise performance in active men and women. Subjects were randomly assigned to a placebo (whey protein) and colostrum group (20 g/d in powder form). Each subject participated in aerobic and heavy-resistance training at least three times per wk. Body composition was assessed via dual x-ray absorptiometry analysis. Treadmill time to exhaustion, one repetition maximum strength (bench press), and the total number of repetitions performed during one set to exhaustion at a submaximal load for the bench press (50% and 100% of body weight for women and men, respectively) were ascertained. The whey protein group experienced a significant increase (P < 0.05) in body weight (mean increase of 2.11 kg), whereas the colostrum group experienced a significant (P < 0.05) increase in bone-free lean body mass (mean increase of 1.49 kg). There were no changes in any of the other parameters measured. Thus, supplementation with bovine colostrum (20 g/d) in combination with exercise training for 8 wk may increase bone-free lean body mass in active men and women.

would also depend on where you got the colostrum and or how its processed.

there is also potential postive effects on URTIs because of the immunoglobulins within the colostrum

Concentrated bovine colostrum protein supplementation reduces the incidence of self-reported symptoms of upper respiratory tract infection in adult males.

Brinkworth GD, Buckley JD.

Centre for Research in Education and Sports Science Division of Health Sciences, University of South Australia, Holbrooks Road, Underdale, South Australia 5032, Australia.

BACKGROUND: Anecdotal reports suggest that bovine colostrum may prevent upper respiratory tract infection (URTI). There is scant evidence to support such claims, although salivary IgA protects against URTI, and it was recently shown that bovine colostrum increases salivary IgA. AIM OF THE STUDY: The present invesigation examined whether concentrated bovine colostrum protein (CBC) affected the incidence or duration of self-reported symptoms of URTI in adult males. METHODS: We examined logbooks containing self-reported symptoms of illness from previous studies which examined physiological effects of CBC. In these double-blind, placebo controlled studies, subjects had been randomly allocated to consume 60g. day(-1) of CBC (n = 93) or whey protein (WP) (n = 81) for eight weeks. Symptoms were coded using established criteria to identify those related to URTI. Since the incubation period for an URTI is up to five days, symptoms reported during the first week of supplementation (PRE-EXP) were analysed separately to preclude those arising from infection prior to study commencement. RESULTS: During PRE-EXP, there was no difference in the proportion of subjects taking the different supplements who reported symptoms of URTI (CBC, 11%,WP, 5%; 95% Confidence Interval (95% CI) -14% to 2%; P = 0.16). During the subsequent seven weeks (i. e. the experimental period), a significantly lesser proportion of subjects taking CBC reported symptoms of URTI compared with those taking WP (CBC, 32%,WP, 48%, P = 0.03; 95 % CI -30 % to -2 %), but symptom duration did not differ (CBC, 6.8 +/- 4.2 days,WP, 6.0 +/- 4.4 days; P = 0.27). CONCLUSION: This study provides preliminary evidence that CBC may enhance resistance to the development of symptoms of URTI.

but that would also depend on the processing etc.

[quote]David Barr wrote:
GL, ALA is best used in a minor muscle trauma situation. Once you’re adapted to hitting/tackling, ALA won’t be as useful.

Did you already buy it?

Get Lifted wrote:
Barr,

-Get Lifted

[/quote]

No… I will get it next year though since it helps.

I’m trying to figure out lifting. They get us up at 5:30am before classes and my body does not feel right lifting heavy that early. My joints hurt and my muscles and mind are not warmed up. I do the best that I can while being safe but I know I could go heavy and more aggressive later… I’m sticking with EC advice on doing near maximal weight to keep my strength for big lifts(power clean, squat, deadlift, Bench) and assistance or accessoryto keep my posture and strength I guess(nothing specific mentioned yet though). It is difficult when you go from waking up, to classes and then to practice and then to bed and taking airplane rides on weekends to get good lifts in. I’m figuring it out this week though because I’m not going to let my strength go much this time.

I’ll figure something out but this early morning thing is no, no.

Oh yeah… Remember those Monkey Barrs? They sure were fun back in the day. Don’t land in the lava!

-Get Lifted

Dave,
For someone that tends to get queasy if working out on a full stomach, would having a serving of Surge roughly 1 hour before lifting be good? I would immediately follow this with 1 serving PWO, as I tend to stick with water only during the workouts (again, the whole deal where I feel like I’ll puke if i have a shake, I’ve tried it before. Didn’t work out). Thanks for your help Dave, and sorry for the awful run on sentences.
-Greg