Prime Time: Barricade

Thanks all! I’ll be back tomorrow; Wednesday (or “ung-kla” as we say in Canada).

Barr-

I get your Pm’s. I send you Pm’s back but you seem not to get them. I don’t know what the deal is. Something is fishy.

-Get Lifted

I’ll hit you up tomorrow with some more Q/A. Not better than T/A but still fun.

LOL

I’m back for more hot and sweaty Prime Time action.

It’s funny, I’m fine down in Texas (my room was a consistent 65 degrees), but I have to come back to Canada to die from the heat. LOL

GL, Doc Ryan complains about that too… I wonder if anyone else has this problem.

[quote]Get Lifted wrote:
Barr-

I get your Pm’s. I send you Pm’s back but you seem not to get them. I don’t know what the deal is. Something is fishy.

-Get Lifted

I’ll hit you up tomorrow with some more Q/A. Not better than T/A but still fun.

LOL[/quote]

My Picture of the Week sucked, so I thought I’d throw up another.

There is one more on the PrideFC thread: http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=739029

Damn it Barr, you keep duckin’ my questions! Nah, just kidding, but I keep missing your time spots. Here’s my Q for You:

What do you think of colostrum? Is it worth incorporating into a supplement plan? Or is there a problem with absorption in the adult gut?

Thanks Barr-B-Dude!

Waterbury, it’s cool, but you seem to be ducking my answers! LOL [I make joke]

Colostrum had one, seemingly random, study showing that it can elevate IGF-1 levels. I think this was an erroneous finding, or the results were fabricated to sell supplements. I don’t remember the lab who ran the study so I can’t say for sure.

Another study showed that peak power is enhanced with supplementation, despite no effect on IGF-1. Note that they used 60g a day! That’s just bizarre…

Either way, save your money.

[quote]Chad Waterbury wrote:
Damn it Barr, you keep duckin’ my questions! Nah, just kidding, but I keep missing your time spots. Here’s my Q for You:

What do you think of colostrum? Is it worth incorporating into a supplement plan? Or is there a problem with absorption in the adult gut?

Thanks Barr-B-Dude!

[/quote]

The more machines I use at my new gym, the more impressed I become with Hammer Strength.

I mentioned earlier that I love the low row due to the strong contraction it facilitates.

The Hammer decline is another favorite because it allows you to adduct as you extend your arms.

Most recently I tried the shoulder press… it positions your arms such that they are relatively far back, which really helps me feel a strong contraction. Then again, this could simply help take the anterior delts out of the movement, which is my big weakness.

A new record?!

Fliping through a bb mag today, I just noticed that the table of contents doesn’t even begin until after page 40!

The lead up is all ads. This has to be a record.

[Is it just me or are supplement ads getting more and more crazy]

Here’s a quick reminder about pre workout meals: if you’re eating a solid meal within ~2 hours of your workout, you don’t need a liquid pre workout meal.

At first, it’s a little easier to deal with solid meals pre workout, but once you figure out how your body responds to liquids, you’ll never turn back.

DB, what gym are you training at these days?

Bob

So are you saying that the fact that I took out a second mortgage on my house to purchase 150K worth of colostrum from New Guinea was a bad idea?

Uh, anyone need any colostrum? Anyone…anyone?

I’ve got it! I’ll mix it with Boron.

[quote]David Barr wrote:
Waterbury, it’s cool, but you seem to be ducking my answers! LOL [I make joke]

Colostrum had one, seemingly random, study showing that it can elevate IGF-1 levels. I think this was an erroneous finding, or the results were fabricated to sell supplements. I don’t remember the lab who ran the study so I can’t say for sure.

Another study showed that peak power is enhanced with supplementation, despite no effect on IGF-1. Note that they used 60g a day! That’s just bizarre…

Either way, save your money.

Chad Waterbury wrote:

Thanks Barr-B-Dude!

[/quote]

Hey Dave,

Wondering if I can get your opinion on a few supplements, so I can know whether I just wasted a shitload of money or not (a shitload for me is 60$):

1. Milk Thistle

2. CoQ10

3. Phosphatidyl Serine

Thanks.

PS What part of Ontario did you build your igloo in and how many times have you been attacked by polar bears since you got back?

[quote]David Barr wrote:
Here’s a quick reminder about pre workout meals: if you’re eating a solid meal within ~2 hours of your workout, you don’t need a liquid pre workout meal.

At first, it’s a little easier to deal with solid meals pre workout, but once you figure out how your body responds to liquids, you’ll never turn back.[/quote]

So how soon before a workout should one consume a liquid meal? And for that mater, how soon after the workout do you suggest we have our post workout meal?

Bob, I’m at Popeye’s in downtown Kitchener. They’re the most powerlifter friendly place in the area.

Now if only I could find a gym with bumper plates and a reverse hyper…

How aboot you?

[quote]Bob A wrote:
DB, what gym are you training at these days?

Bob[/quote]

Waterbury, after seeing the ads in this bb mag, you should have no problem getting rid of the colostrum.

Just have a picture of your huge self, and a caption that reads: “me get big from colostrum.” Then throw in a couple of random Barr graphs to make it seem scienticious, and you’ll make a mint!

BTW-Stack colostrum with boron and arginine for an uber effect.

[quote]Chad Waterbury wrote:
So are you saying that the fact that I took out a second mortgage on my house to purchase 150K worth of colostrum from New Guinea was a bad idea?

Uh, anyone need any colostrum? Anyone…anyone?

I’ve got it! I’ll mix it with Boron.[/quote]

[quote]David Barr wrote:
Bob, I’m at Popeye’s in downtown Kitchener. They’re the most powerlifter friendly place in the area.

Now if only I could find a gym with bumper plates and a reverse hyper…

How aboot you?

[/quote]

I train at the Family Fitness in Mississauga. It’s not exactly powerlifter friendly… But the squat rack and cage are just about always free and they’ve got BBs and DBs with thick handles which I like.

Despite being at UW for almost 4 yrs I have never trained at its weight room, is it worth visiting?

Hi Dave,

Hey am sitting at about 11% bodyfat and 200lb. I am finding it very hard to lean down any further. I am consuming 100 C, 290 P, 90F. I also walk every morning for 1hr (after popping thermogenics) and do 30min cardio after my workouts (5 times a week).

I tried cutting carbs further but went flat as a pancake so have avoided this. I am wanting to compete in 5 weeks and am desperate to lean right down. My calories are clean and am even isolating P+C and P+F meals. My results have been steady over time but have seem to have slowed. I must say I havnt ever been sub 10% bodyfat in my life. Is there a chance?? And any suggestions??

Thanks

Ben

Orbital, what was your intention when buying these supplements? Milk thistle and CoQ have antioxidant effects, but it’s not something that will help you with muscle growth or fat loss. As far as overall health, they have potential.

Phosphatidylserine also has potential, but is cost prohibitive at 800mg/day. Also, all of the data I have seen on its cortisol lowering effect, involved emotional stress (not physical).

It’s something to keep an eye on, but not buy as of yet.

As for your other questions; I have only been attacked by p.bears twice so far… I think it’s just too hot for them to move. I’m in KW (which seems to have grown by about 20 000 since I’ve left!).

BTW-Your SeaLab avatar kills me!

[quote]Orbitalboner wrote:
Hey Dave,

Wondering if I can get your opinion on a few supplements, so I can know whether I just wasted a shitload of money or not (a shitload for me is 60$):

1. Milk Thistle

2. CoQ10

3. Phosphatidyl Serine

Thanks.

PS What part of Ontario did you build your igloo in and how many times have you been attacked by polar bears since you got back?[/quote]

Bob II, the timing of your pre workout liquid meal is largely dependent on what you’ve eaten before that meal, as well as when it was eaten.

The soonest (is that even a word?) I’d have my pre-drink (Surge) is 10-15 minutes pre workout. On leg days I like to have a little more time between drink and lift.

Of course if you’re consuming other proteins or carbs, it changes things…

It can get quite complicated, which is why I think I can really help people when my site opens up.

[quote]Bob A wrote:

So how soon before a workout should one consume a liquid meal? And for that mater, how soon after the workout do you suggest we have our post workout meal?[/quote]