Prime Time: Barricade

Image of the Week: Fedor vs. Cro Cop

Site of the Week: http://www.pridefc.com/pride2004/index_e.htm

Kick in the Teeth of the Week: Having to pay 260$ for a business license!

Questions? Comments? Answers?

Barrbie,

Where were you at today? I tried to call…but no answer!

How’s the weather in Canada?

This week I received a question about consuming pure amino acids before training.

40g pre workout works well, as long as carbs are consumed along with it. This is because the carbs reduce the amount of amino’s that are simply burned off or “oxidized”.

Remember: Digestion and absorption are not the limiting steps for protein synthesis, it’s oxidation.

What’s up Big Barr,

Having to pay $260 for a business license sucks bull balls, that’s my only comment on that matter.

Onto something a bit less crude, I know you’re working on a creatine article (which I can’t wait for, so hurry it up already), but I have a couple queations about that topic now.

I recently bought 1000g of Creatine Ethyl Ester HCl from B.N., primarily for the sake of seeing if it works, and secondly that I find the advertised “lack of water bloating” appealing.

First of all, this stuff tastes like a mixture of snake venom and battery acid, so how is anyone supposed to ingest in when not in pill form?

Second, what is your opinion on the proposed benefits of this type of creatine over monohydrate, if any?

[quote]David Barr wrote:
Kick in the Teeth of the Week: Having to pay 260$ for a business license![/quote]

(1) what’s your bidness?

(2) is Robertson a real g? what’s up with that avatar?

BastARRd

[quote]David Barr wrote:
Remember: Digestion and absorption are not the limiting steps for protein synthesis, it’s oxidation.[/quote]

elucidate please? oxidized as in used for energy?

no matter … solutions?

Basretard

Hey Mikey, sorry aboot that. Today was a tangled mess of me trying to officially become Canadian again. In fact, at the regional police headquarters, I was described as “a walking fine”.

I think the weather’s aboot to get a whole lot worse here as the tropic storm approaches… but I can hardly complain, because of what the south is going through now. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]Mike Robertson wrote:
Barrbie,

Where were you at today? I tried to call…but no answer!

How’s the weather in Canada?[/quote]

Bauer, yeah the taste is pretty damn aweful, and largely kills the marketability of the product. You were also right in that it is very acidic.

When I used CEE, I throw it in water, chugged it, and had my Surge right after.

I enjoy the taste of Surge too much to have it ruined by CEE. LOL

CEE may cause less bloating, this side effect isn’t universally common. In fact, I think it’s largely due to people hearing about “water retention” and not fully understanding what it is.

Let us know how it goes!

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
First of all, this stuff tastes like a mixture of snake venom and battery acid, so how is anyone supposed to ingest in when not in pill form?

Second, what is your opinion on the proposed benefits of this type of creatine over monohydrate, if any?[/quote]

Bastard, what happened to your name? Are you no longer “friendly”?

I think there’s a real need for a consultation that handles cutting edge supplement issues. Supplement timing is getting pretty complicated, and people need to figure out how to optimize their intake (and make their dollar go further).

Besides, I’m a strength coach and worked in nutritional biochemistry, so I’ll have those services available as well.

Thanks for letting me plug. :wink:

[quote]Bastard Guy wrote:
David Barr wrote:
Kick in the Teeth of the Week: Having to pay 260$ for a business license!

(1) what’s your bidness?

BastARRd

[/quote]

Bastard II, thanks for forcing me to clarify. I really think I’m being clear, but still have a long way to go (obviously).

When I wrote: This is because the carbs reduce the amount of amino’s that are simply burned off or “oxidized”. I’m trying to say that oxidation and “burning off”(ie wasted) are the same thing.

You know how we get hot after a meal? That’s largely oxidation.

When sedentary people say they have a “fast metabolism” because they can eat a lot and not get fat, they generally have a high nutrient oxidation rate.

This can be good, but also bad if we’re oxidizing protein. Consuming carbs with out protein is the best way to limit this, and I’m sure fat does it as well.

Hope that helps!

[quote]Bastard Guy wrote:
elucidate please? oxidized as in used for energy?

no matter … solutions?

Basretard[/quote]

DB,

I know that there are better simple carbs than sucrose to spike insulin, but any major issue with using a sucrose-laden whole food for this purpose post-workout?

The glory of eating pop tarts or rice krispie treats is enough on its own to get me to workout, so I’m hoping your answer to this is a resounding “yes, those are fantastic for your muscle building purposes”, but I’ll settle for the truth if it’s the contrary as well…

Barr, you never answered the man’s question…Am I real G or what?

[quote]David Barr wrote:

BastARRd

[/quote]

[quote]David Barr wrote:
Bastard, what happened to your name? Are you no longer “friendly”?[/quote]

oh, have no fear, i am as ‘friendly’ as ever. but i was told that using my full name would give me more credibility.

I can see it now:

T-Nation
PRIME TIME

Chad Waterbury
Charles Staley
David Barr (David?)
Eric Cressey
Bastard Guy

Ahh … well, one can dream, yes?

Bastard

BauerII LMAO. Pop tarts are great anytime not just pwo. In fact, I just told someone at the gym about this a few days ago, and he looked at me like I was crazy!

I explained that far too many people try to put on weight, and eat nothing but egg whites and oatmeal. Big mistake.

Ultra clean eating works for some, but not many.

I have a Top 10 Bulking Tips article coming out, and it’s sure to create a lot of controversy (which is rare for my articles).

[I suddenly want Pop Tarts]

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
DB,

I know that there are better simple carbs than sucrose to spike insulin, but any major issue with using a sucrose-laden whole food for this purpose post-workout?

The glory of eating pop tarts or rice krispie treats is enough on its own to get me to workout, so I’m hoping your answer to this is a resounding “yes, those are fantastic for your muscle building purposes”, but I’ll settle for the truth if it’s the contrary as well…[/quote]

Sorry guys! Yes, Mike is forsure a “G”! In fact the picture in his avatar was taken the day after his surgery. I have entitled it: “Now THAT man has had a hard day!”

[quote]Mike Robertson wrote:
Barr, you never answered the man’s question…Am I real G or what?

[/quote]

A fondness for pop-tarts? You just became that-much-cooler in my book, DB.

Okay, one more picking of your brain question: I remember reading in one of your articles, I believe the one about nocturnal feedings, about some of your athletes who train late in the evening, and then have only a post workout meal and one more meal before they go to sleep, and how this is quite sub-optimal for muscle growth.

I fit into this category, as by the time I close up my gym and get to working out, it’s already 8:30 or so, (tonight for example). What is your post-workout nutrition and following meal(s) recommendation for my situation? I’m usually done training at 10, and get to bed around 1.

Bauer, it’s funny but this is where Pop Tarts really come in handy. I have my Post workout Surge and then 45 minutes later Pop Tarts and Low-Carb Grow!.

With this protocol, you should be able to squeeze in another meal before bed.

BTW-I’m training late myself (leaving for the gym right after Prime Time), and as a result I find that I’m up until 4AM trying to get Calories. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
A fondness for pop-tarts? You just became that-much-cooler in my book, DB.

Okay, one more picking of your brain question: I remember reading in one of your articles, I believe the one about nocturnal feedings, about some of your athletes who train late in the evening, and then have only a post workout meal and one more meal before they go to sleep, and how this is quite sub-optimal for muscle growth.

I fit into this category, as by the time I close up my gym and get to working out, it’s already 8:30 or so, (tonight for example). What is your post-workout nutrition and following meal(s) recommendation for my situation? I’m usually done training at 10, and get to bed around 1.[/quote]

Haha, staying up late for the purpose of consuming more calories, how ironic that this applies to both the incredibly physically fit and morbidly obese alike.

Well I’m off to hit the weights so I can put all this post-workout nutrition advice to good use, I can hear those pop tarts calling me all the way from home already.

Thanks for everything DB, talk to you next time…

Last week I suggested that a member take Lipoic Acid to help his insulin sensitivity. I need to clarify that this is as “as-needed” situation, because lipoic acid can likely decrease protein synthesis.

The reason I suggested its use, is because Muscle damage will limit nutrient uptake, which is critical at that time.

Hope that helps!

Tonight I get to perform my favorite exercise: Hammer Strength low row. This machine forces you into a very strong contraction, by forcing your arm into a perfect position.

It’s pretty much what people try to do with bent over rows, but usually fail miserably.

Then only problem is that the handles are too far out of reach, which means quite a bit of shoulder stretch to grab them… this is how I blew both rotators in one night (on another row machine).

To overcome this, I retract my scapula on one side (to keep the shoulder tight) and twist my body to reach. Same on the other side.

Good times are a comin’!