T Nation

Prime Time: Barrested Development

Vroom, adding carbs to protein meals is generally a good idea because it will reduce the amount of protein that is wasted/burned off by our bodies (Good call!). This is why fruit is a good choice.

As far as preferential liver glycogen restoration, this generally isn’t too much of a concern. If we have enough carbs after a workout, our liver will be full -Don’t forget that our liver gets first crack at ingested carbs!

If the amino acids aren’t burned off, they are far more likely to be stored as muscle.

Great questions!

[quote]vroom wrote:
Would it makes sense to have a small amount of fruit shortly before a protein meal for the purpose of helping to minimize gluconeogenesis – by preferentially restoring liver glycogen stores?

Related to this, if there is such an effect, what would happen to the following amino acids, will they just circulate in the bloodstream a bit longer?[/quote]

Mike Robertson wrote:
Dave,

Another question: Is it possible to take you seriously with your avatar?

I know it’s a heavy dumbbell and all, but the look on your face is priceless!

Mike, the look on my face is from having to hold the dumbbell like that while the picture was taken. You can see in the larger version of the pic that I’m red as hell too.

BTW-You’re mean.[/quote]

How heavy is painted balsa wood? For the love of god.

Actually your red because that was the only good snatch you had in awhile :slight_smile:

You really need to stop making this so easy for me. I almost feel guilty…almost

I guess I’m just sad. You don’t call, you don’t write…

Take care,

Ryan

Zen, it’s not a stupid question at all! HMB is a supplement that showed a lot of promise in the mid 90’s. It was first hyped by Billips and EAS because it had scientific support WRT muscle size and strength.

Sadly, those studies didn’t hold up in the real world, and those that were performed in the last several years showed no effect.

Even the early studies on HMB were equivocal, but we only heard about those that were positive.

Now you can forget about HMB. LOL

[quote]Zen warrior wrote:
Here’s my own stupid question: what’s hmb, and what does it do?

Also, just to illustrate what you say, do you know of any good ressource for dynamic stretch? (articles, website, Jane Fonda’s latest video?) I own Superjoint, from Pavel ‘Pantysniffer’ Tatsouline, and think it’s a good book, but like everything he writes, it’s a bit dogmatic and narrow-minded. I could use some variety to want he offers in his book
[/quote]

Zen II, wow web resources for dynamic stretching suck. This means that I need to do an article on it with RoBarrtson.

Here’s a little from a site I used to frequent in my Freerunning days: http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/frontthigh/groin_strain/stretching.php

I like Pavel’s work too, and people often confuse dogma with confidence (which makes it a powerful writing tool).

[quote]Zen warrior wrote:
Also, just to illustrate what you say, do you know of any good ressource for dynamic stretch? (articles, website, Jane Fonda’s latest video?) I own Superjoint, from Pavel ‘Pantysniffer’ Tatsouline, and think it’s a good book, but like everything he writes, it’s a bit dogmatic and narrow-minded. I could use some variety to want he offers in his book
[/quote]

Marc, mixed reviews? Really? Any topicals I’ve seen are a joke (like most supplements in general)… the very theory offers so many problems it’s scary.

I’ll look around for the latest topical fad and write it up if Prime Time gets slow on Thursday.

Thanks for the question!

[quote]marcus_aurelius wrote:
Dave

Is there any real evidence to support use of topical fat loss creams ?

There seems to be mixed reviews on this and I wouldn’t mind hearing your opinion.[/quote]

[quote]Dr. Ryan wrote:
You don’t call, you don’t write…
[/quote]

Doc, please see the rest of your post for an explanation. LOL

[quote]Dr. Ryan also wrote:
How heavy is painted balsa wood? For the love of god.

Actually your red because that was the only good snatch you had in awhile :slight_smile:

You really need to stop making this so easy for me. I almost feel guilty…almost

Take care,

Ryan

[/quote]

B-Mac, congratulations on your weight gain!

This is a great question and I’ll hit it up first thing on Thursday (don’t you just hate teaser-trailers?).

See you all Thursday, LIVE from Canada!

Cheers

[quote]B-Mac13 wrote:
Ok, here goes. I’ve put on about 15 pounds in the past three months eating big and now consume 4000 calories/day. I currently weigh 190, and the weight gain has ceased. I know that in order to continue growth to slowly increase my cals weekly, however the problem is this. I’m going back to school soon where it’s a whole lot tougher to eat clean. I’m not sure on my bodyfat, but I would say it’s between 15-17%. I’m thinking it might make sense to go on a cut as it’s gonna be harder (due to money) to maintain my current bulking regiment. My goals would be to weigh 210-220 with about 10-12% bodyfat. I guess the question is should i continue the bulk even though i probably won’t eat as clean and struggle to reach my daily caloric intake? Or…does it make more sense to eat completely clean with less cals on a cut? [/quote]

Thursday it is then. Cliffhangers are always fun. Thanks a lot.

So, my mom’s seeing a nutritionist right now which is good because, even though I disagree with some of the things the woman says, it’s been a big help to her. But she told her to not eat protein alone because it affects calcium absorbtion and can lead to gout. Sounds pretty fishy to me. Can I tell her that it’s wrong?

Wow, after driving 1000km today, I forgot that I’d my polar bear survival skills.

Fontunately, I made it through the Canadian wilderness back to my igloo.

Good to be home, eh!

Did you stop at Tim Horton’s? That’s really all that matters…

B-Mac, do you find that both bulking and cutting require effort? What I’m trying to say is that cutting is likely just as difficult as bulking.

What I’d suggest (from experience) is to just stick to a maintenance diet while going through major changes (like school starting up).

Once you get settled into a new pattern, then you can start messing with your diet and training again.

BOTTOM LINE: it’s best to only go through a few changes at a time.

[quote]David Barr wrote:
Wow, after driving 1000km today, I forgot that I’d my polar bear survival skills.

Fontunately, I made it through the Canadian wilderness back to my igloo.

Good to be home, eh![/quote]

Hey Dave I PMed you on this the other day and never got around to posting in the PT on Tuesday…in your opinion what is the optimal amount of Amino acids to take PWO and which ones to take if someone was on something like the anabolic diet and couldn’t take Surge?

Wow, here’s a quick tip I just learned.

Don’t drive all day, then try to run upstairs, THEN stare at a computer monitor.

Trippy.

LOL No time Mikey, I literally jumped out of the car (well, “crawl” or “hobbble” are better adjectives) and ran/crawled/hobbled upstairs to an awaiting computer. I only stopped driving 5 min ago. :stuck_out_tongue:

Speaking of which, my car is still illegally parked…

[quote]Mike Robertson wrote:
Did you stop at Tim Horton’s? That’s really all that matters…[/quote]

DB-Any new research about how liquor or beer negatively effects the body? Aside from lowering the test/raising the estrogen any new thoughts? I like to have some deep reasons when I’m out with my friends and i’m drinking water.

K-Narf, don’t worry bro, I didn’t forget about you (but reminders never hurt ;)!

So far, I’ve only seen a single study showing that BCAA’s have an anabolic effect in humans, and that study was performed using leucine with a PWO drink.

The necessity of the other BCAA’s is really up in the air, but it’s certinaly won’t hurt to have them. 3g of leacine alone is a good place to start.

As far as other amino acids, 20g of essentials or 40g of mixed proteins works well -as long as you consume carbohydrates to minimize oxidation.

Hope this helps!

[quote]K-Narf wrote:
Hey Dave I PMed you on this the other day and never got around to posting in the PT on Tuesday…in your opinion what is the optimal amount of Amino acids to take PWO and which ones to take if someone was on something like the anabolic diet and couldn’t take Surge?[/quote]

[quote]David Barr wrote:
K-Narf, don’t worry bro, I didn’t forget about you (but reminders never hurt ;)!

So far, I’ve only seen a single study showing that BCAA’s have an anabolic effect in humans, and that study was performed using leucine with a PWO drink.

The necessity of the other BCAA’s is really up in the air, but it’s certinaly won’t hurt to have them. 3g of leacine alone is a good place to start.

As far as other amino acids, 20g of essentials or 40g of mixed proteins works well -as long as you consume carbohydrates to minimize oxidation.

Hope this helps!

K-Narf wrote:
Hey Dave I PMed you on this the other day and never got around to posting in the PT on Tuesday…in your opinion what is the optimal amount of Amino acids to take PWO and which ones to take if someone was on something like the anabolic diet and couldn’t take Surge?

[/quote]

Exactly the info I was looking for,thanks!

jsb, does you mom have preexisting kidney dysfunction? If so then consuming meat/protein can worsen the symptoms of gout.

It’s not the protein itself, but substances called purines, which often acompany high protein foods.

If you don’t have kidney problems or gout then it’s not something to worry about.

As for calcium absorption, again this won’t be a problem unless there is a preexisting problem.

NOTE: I am not trying to override the nutritionist, just give an informed option.

Good luck!

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
So, my mom’s seeing a nutritionist right now which is good because, even though I disagree with some of the things the woman says, it’s been a big help to her. But she told her to not eat protein alone because it affects calcium absorbtion and can lead to gout. Sounds pretty fishy to me. Can I tell her that it’s wrong?[/quote]

[quote]David Barr wrote:
B-Mac, do you find that both bulking and cutting require effort? What I’m trying to say is that cutting is likely just as difficult as bulking.

What I’d suggest (from experience) is to just stick to a maintenance diet while going through major changes (like school starting up).

Once you get settled into a new pattern, then you can start messing with your diet and training again.

BOTTOM LINE: it’s best to only go through a few changes at a time.

Ok, here goes. I’ve put on about 15 pounds in the past three months eating big and now consume 4000 calories/day. I currently weigh 190, and the weight gain has ceased. I know that in order to continue growth to slowly increase my cals weekly, however the problem is this. I’m going back to school soon where it’s a whole lot tougher to eat clean. I’m not sure on my bodyfat, but I would say it’s between 15-17%. I’m thinking it might make sense to go on a cut as it’s gonna be harder (due to money) to maintain my current bulking regiment. My goals would be to weigh 210-220 with about 10-12% bodyfat. I guess the question is should i continue the bulk even though i probably won’t eat as clean and struggle to reach my daily caloric intake? Or…does it make more sense to eat completely clean with less cals on a cut?[/quote]

What you said definitely makes sense. I’ll settle in once i get back to school and then take it from there. Thanks a lot for the advice, I appreciate it.