Prime Time: Barrested Development

Image of the Week: The Arrested Development cast.

Question of the Week: Why does the most brilliant show on Network TV have horrible ratings?

Site of the Week: FOX | Watch Live Shows and Stream Full Episodes Online

Let’s get to Prime Time!

Last week, Get Lifted was asking about stretches during football camp.

I’m a huge proponent of dynamic stretching (is there any other kind these days?) for warming up.

It’ll help with hip and shoulder mobility, as well as hit the muscles of the limbs and warm up the trunk.

Static stretching is done after a workout, and can be used to increase flexibility.

Wow, there seems to be record interest in this thread so I’ll keep it going.

Dynamic stretching should be done before any physical activity, including strength training. The beauty is that it’s specific to the movements of the sport/exercise, but also general in that ti will hit your core.

You can even use it to practice your dynamic balance while you’re swinging your legs.

[quote]David Barr wrote:
Wow, there seems to be record interest in this thread so I’ll keep it going.

Dynamic stretching should be done before any physical activity, including strength training. The beauty is that it’s specific to the movements of the sport/exercise, but also general in that ti will hit your core.

You can even use it to practice your dynamic balance while you’re swinging your legs.[/quote]

Ehh I guess I must be an idiot but I’m not really all that familiar with dynamic stretching…could ya give me an example?

DB,

Do you incorporate a lot of static stretching into your program?

Stay strong
MR

Big Barr,

Hey, now that I’m done consuming Lonnie’s free candy, I’m all about discussing stretching.

On the topic of post-weight training stretching of the muscles that were worked, what’s the best method/duration of stretches with the hope of priming that muscle for the greatest muscle growth in the future?

[quote]David Barr wrote:
Image of the Week: The Arrested Development cast.

Question of the Week: Why does the most brilliant show on Network TV have horrible ratings?

[/quote]

Dude…its on Fox…honestly I don’t think most people will watch a sitcom on Fox(unless its animated) on principle.I mean look at all the crappy sitcoms they have had(all you have to do is watch that first episode of season 4 of Family Guy to hear Peter list them all)Also they never advertise for it.I’ve seen like 10x the number of commercials for that lameass reality show starring the producer and his pussy ass sons than for Arrested.I agree its an awesome show.Funny as hell.Best cast on a sitcom since Seinfeld.

HMB Works?!

There was an email question this week about HMB. The reason it was asked is because along with creatine and Pre/PWO nutrition, HMB is the only supplement to have scientific support!

This is VERY scary to me and only widens the gap between researchers and practical application.

What’s worse, is that one of the researchers who was throwing out scientific research reviews (which are read by researchers) holds the patent to HMB! Bit of a conflict of interest wouldn’t you say?

Dave,

Another question: Is it possible to take you seriously with your avatar?

I know it’s a heavy dumbbell and all, but the look on your face is priceless!

K-Narf, it’s cool, dynamic stretching isn’t universally common yet.

A good example of dynamic stretching is arm circles. We’ve all done these before to warm up our shoulders (or to get a strange feeling in our hands when we do them too quickly as kids).

Otherwise, swinging a leg directly in front of us such that we get a posterior chain stretch, and then back behind us such that we get a hip flexor/quad stretch, is another example.

It’s all about taking a movement through a large range of motion (generally swinging the limb).

Does that help, or is it more confusing now?

[quote]K-Narf wrote:
Ehh I guess I must be an idiot but I’m not really all that familiar with dynamic stretching…could ya give me an example?[/quote]

Dave,

You may have answered this one before, but I probably missed it, so my apologies. I read where you wrote one of the things you felt was a big boost to putting on mass was sucrose. Could you please elaborate a little on this? I mean, isn’t that basically just table sugar?

Thanks!

Kuz

Would it makes sense to have a small amount of fruit shortly before a protein meal for the purpose of helping to minimize gluconeogenesis – by preferentially restoring liver glycogen stores?

Related to this, if there is such an effect, what would happen to the following amino acids, will they just circulate in the bloodstream a bit longer?

Mike, honestly no. I don’t have any real limitations in flexibility, and to be honest, I’m not too worried about improving this aspect of fitness (yeah yeah, I know, I don’t do cardio either).

The one area is routinely static stretch is my hip flexors. Those buggers get so tight on me that they can make walking difficult.

For most athletes, however, static stretching is a must, and I’m sure to incorporate it into their programs.

[quote]Mike Robertson wrote:
DB,

Do you incorporate a lot of static stretching into your program?

Stay strong
MR[/quote]

[quote]David Barr wrote:
K-Narf, it’s cool, dynamic stretching isn’t universally common yet.

A good example of dynamic stretching is arm circles. We’ve all done these before to warm up our shoulders (or to get a strange feeling in our hands when we do them too quickly as kids).

Otherwise, swinging a leg directly in front of us such that we get a posterior chain stretch, and then back behind us such that we get a hip flexor/quad stretch, is another example.

It’s all about taking a movement through a large range of motion (generally swinging the limb).

Does that help, or is it more confusing now?

[/quote]

Yup I got it was just a little confused for a sec.

[quote]David Barr wrote:
[/quote]

'Cause people are stupid and the last thing they want is tv making it more obvious to them…or are they too dumb to realize?

Here’s my own stupid question: what’s hmb, and what does it do?

Also, just to illustrate what you say, do you know of any good ressource for dynamic stretch? (articles, website, Jane Fonda’s latest video?) I own Superjoint, from Pavel ‘Pantysniffer’ Tatsouline, and think it’s a good book, but like everything he writes, it’s a bit dogmatic and narrow-minded. I could use some variety to want he offers in his book

Dave

Is there any real evidence to support use of topical fat loss creams ?

There seems to be mixed reviews on this and I wouldn’t mind hearing your opinion.

Bauer, my main interest in getting people more flexible is so they can properly perform a movement. Athletes are a whole different story, because they need to be able to “bend” a lot more on the field.

As for strength, the idea behind strengthening through lengthening, is that we basically add more muscle at the ends of our muscle. That way we have more muscle to produce force.

I’m not sure I buy into this, but 3 sets of 60 seconds per stretch seems to be the best way of improving flexibility (through lengthening the muscle).

As far as direct (ie that not produced through increased strength) stretching-induced growth. I don’t believe this happens. A colleague of mine actually studies this and found no changes in protein synthesis following extreme stretching/lengthening in humans.

Hope this answers your question!

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
Big Barr,

Hey, now that I’m done consuming Lonnie’s free candy, I’m all about discussing stretching.

On the topic of post-weight training stretching of the muscles that were worked, what’s the best method/duration of stretches with the hope of priming that muscle for the greatest muscle growth in the future?[/quote]

Ok, here goes. I’ve put on about 15 pounds in the past three months eating big and now consume 4000 calories/day. I currently weigh 190, and the weight gain has ceased. I know that in order to continue growth to slowly increase my cals weekly, however the problem is this. I’m going back to school soon where it’s a whole lot tougher to eat clean. I’m not sure on my bodyfat, but I would say it’s between 15-17%. I’m thinking it might make sense to go on a cut as it’s gonna be harder (due to money) to maintain my current bulking regiment. My goals would be to weigh 210-220 with about 10-12% bodyfat. I guess the question is should i continue the bulk even though i probably won’t eat as clean and struggle to reach my daily caloric intake? Or…does it make more sense to eat completely clean with less cals on a cut?

I was only supposed to do Prime Time for an hour tonight, but considering the number of questions recently submitted (like that quoted below), I’m going to stay on for an extra hour.

[quote]Mike Robertson wrote:
Dave,

Another question: Is it possible to take you seriously with your avatar?

I know it’s a heavy dumbbell and all, but the look on your face is priceless![/quote]

Mike, the look on my face is from having to hold the dumbbell like that while the picture was taken. You can see in the larger version of the pic that I’m red as hell too.

BTW-You’re mean.

Kuz, absolutely! When in pure anabolic mode, sucrose/table sugar is your friend. It’s as nutrient dense as you can get, which means that it provides a lot of Calories but doesn’t fill you up.

It’s also good for glycogen storage and protein synthesis after exercise, and limits the amount of protein that is naturally burned off when we eat.

In addition to tasting great, it’s very cheap and readily available.

Of course, for cutting, sucrose is as bad as it gets.

[quote]Kuz wrote:
Dave,

You may have answered this one before, but I probably missed it, so my apologies. I read where you wrote one of the things you felt was a big boost to putting on mass was sucrose. Could you please elaborate a little on this? I mean, isn’t that basically just table sugar?

Thanks!

Kuz[/quote]