Prime Time: Barr Room Brawl

Having just watched Fight Club for the first time in 2 years, I was reminded of how brilliant the movie was, and needed to make it my theme of the week.

Site of the Week: http://www.foxmovies.com/fightclub/
(one of the most fun movie sites ever)

Quote of the Week: This is your life and it’s ending one minute at a time.

I am Jack’s raging bile duct ready to answer questions (I’ll be on for 3 hours tomorrow-Thursday).

My gym is located across from a high school, so during my workout I got to observe a few 14 years olds learning football fundamentals.

I really forgot how awkward we are at that age… but was quickly reminded when I saw the teem practicing a mutated version of “A” walks.

Guys were bringing their right arm up with their right leg, with no sense of timing or coordination, and were nearly falling over in the process.

Of course I’m not making fun of them, we all have to start somewhere, it’s just interesting to see how poorly we begin and where we go from there.

Indeed! David Fincher could make a movie about the printing of phone books and it’d be cool. Combine that with one of the most twisted, salacious and brilliant literary figures, and you’ve got yourself a gem. It’s one of the few movies I own.

But admit it Barr, you’re mesmerized by those lower ab shots of Mrs. Jolie.

OOPS, I meant “Mr. Jolie.”

I thought the first rule of Fight Club was that you aren’t supposed to talk about it.

You must have gone to the bathroom during that part.

Ryan

[quote]Chad Waterbury wrote:
OOPS, I meant “Mr. Jolie.” [/quote]

CW, I gotta say I’d prefer to see abs on Mrs Jolie… damn, now you have me thinking about that!

[quote]Dr. Ryan wrote:
I thought the first rule of Fight Club was that you aren’t supposed to talk about it.

You must have gone to the bathroom during that part.

Ryan[/quote]

No, that’s the second rule! I think the first rule has something to do with owning a duvet.

Just thinking about the “A” skips I was referring to earlier (in the second post in this thread), and it’s funny but I couldn’t imagine doing my warm up without them.

They really have nothing to do with my training at this point, but they’ve been so integral that it’d feel strange to take them out.

Besides, we could always use more practice in relaxing half of our body, while applying maximal effort with the other (which we do while sprinting).

Get Lifted wrote: [quote] Speaking of fish barr, I am wondering if enteric coated fish oil capsules are better for you. This particular fish oil has a split of:

Natural fish oil concentrate 850mg

EPA: 240 mg
DHA: 200 mg

= 440

440/850

= .5176 or 52%

-Get Lifted [/quote]

GL, those are BY FAR the most concentrated fish oil caps I have ever seen. I wonder how they go about concentrating the EFA’s, and how much of this cost is passed on to the consumer.

I really don’t believe that enteric coated are any better, having tried them myself. I still get the burps, although the caps themselves tasted pretty funky.

Cheers

[quote]David Barr wrote:
Just thinking about the “A” skips I was referring to earlier (in the second post in this thread), and it’s funny but I couldn’t imagine doing my warm up without them.

They really have nothing to do with my training at this point, but they’ve been so integral that it’d feel strange to take them out.

Besides, we could always use more practice in relaxing half of our body, while applying maximal effort with the other (which we do while sprinting).[/quote]

Yes, in fact, one of the most important components in building high rates of speed is within the ability to relax the muscles. This is especially true in cyclic movements such as sprinting. A relaxed muscle can resynthesize ATP at a faster rate. Muscle relaxation is an often unknown and misunderstood element of speed training.

[quote]David Barr wrote:
Get Lifted wrote: Speaking of fish barr, I am wondering if enteric coated fish oil capsules are better for you. This particular fish oil has a split of:

Natural fish oil concentrate 850mg

EPA: 240 mg
DHA: 200 mg

= 440

440/850

= .5176 or 52%

-Get Lifted

GL, those are BY FAR the most concentrated fish oil caps I have ever seen. I wonder how they go about concentrating the EFA’s, and how much of this cost is passed on to the consumer.

I really don’t believe that enteric coated are any better, having tried them myself. I still get the burps, although the caps themselves tasted pretty funky.

Cheers[/quote]

Actually, I take Twinlab’s Mega Twin EPA pills. Each pill contains:

EPA 600mg
DHA 240mg

Are they expensive? Yep, but it beats taking 12 fish oil pills/day.

One of the more common “hardcore” supplements has always been phosphatidylserine (PS) for its ability to lower cortisol.

The reason it is considered “hardcore” by some, is because it costs so damn much to use.

Those that used it, were hoping that the studies demonstrating that PS decreased cortisol during emotional stress, carried over to physical stress (like exercise).

Sadly, brand new research has arrived showing that PS had no effect on cortisol following intense exercise.

To date, the only thing it seems PS is good for is maintaining muscle during exams. Having said that, PS is not something I’d completely write off just yet, but wouldn’t suggest taking either (unless money is no object).

Those look like the Costco enteric caps.

I think they take into account the better bioavailability of bypassing the stomach when stating the potency. (Or I could just be blowing smoke out my ass… Wanna take a look and decide?)

That’s the only reason I can think that the enteric versions state higher densities than the non-enteric versions.

[quote]Chad Waterbury wrote:
David Barr wrote:

Besides, we could always use more practice in relaxing half of our body, while applying maximal effort with the other (which we do while sprinting).

Yes, in fact, one of the most important components in building high rates of speed is within the ability to relax the muscles. This is especially true in cyclic movements such as sprinting. A relaxed muscle can resynthesize ATP at a faster rate. Muscle relaxation is an often unknown and misunderstood element of speed training. [/quote]

OK, guys, explain these mythical “A” skips for those of us who didn’t grow up with an athletic background.

N4S, I’ll dig up some pics for tomorrow.

[quote]Need4Speed wrote:
OK, guys, explain these mythical “A” skips for those of us who didn’t grow up with an athletic background.[/quote]

I’m back tomorrow for 3 hours.

See you then!

Yeah, The Enteric coated ones are from Sams club. I take 9-10 fish oil caps daily and I figured a little more fish oil potency would be good so I upgraded to the pink bottle. LOL

-Get Lifted

P.S Are concentrated or more omega 3’s better for you?

Well here is what the label says.

"Extra Strength Enteric coated fish oil provides 46% more omega-3s, 440 mg per dose versus regular strength fish oil which contains 300 mg per dose.

Laboratory tested to ensure absorption in the small intestines.

The Enteric coating reduces the fishy odor and aftertaste by protecting the softgel until it reaches the lower intestine. This results in more EFAs available for absorption."

Natural Fish oil concentrate 850mg

EPA + 240mg
DHA + 200mg

• As Ethyl Ester

Ingredients: Marine Lipid Concentrate, Gelatin, Glycerin, Methacrylic Acid Copolymer, Caramel, Triacetin, Hypromellose, Glyceryl Monostearate, Triethyl Citrate, Polyethylene Glycol, Povidone, Vanillin, Polysorbate 80.

States No preservatives No Lactose No Gluten

1-888-667-8678 for product information

Well I hope that is enough information to find out if these things are good fish oil.

I just heard that a higher concentrate from 30% above is what you want…

Any thoughts?

-Get Lifted

all this fish oil talk of late has got me wondering. …

I remember JB mentioning that in some study they used groups of varying amounts of efa’s and devided them into 3, 6 and 9 gram groups… . I forget the precise results but it seemed there was some dose dependant benefits in certain individuals. …

Im currently taking 3gs of omega 3s a day and it seems to do wonders for my joints and tendons as far as inflammation goes… . would upping the dosage to say 6gs (20 caps) a day be worth the extra money?

Yikes, I don’t know about the company assuming that you have better absorption based on their caps. They really don’t have to do any tests to support that.

Seems sketchy to me…

[quote]Get Lifted wrote:
Yeah, The Enteric coated ones are from Sams club. I take 9-10 fish oil caps daily and I figured a little more fish oil potency would be good so I upgraded to the pink bottle. LOL

-Get Lifted

P.S Are concentrated or more omega 3’s better for you?
[/quote]