Prime Time: Barr-None

Anything new that needs to be answered?

Let me ask YOU: why don’t people understand the placebo effect? Even when it’s explained, people seem to think that they are immune to this natural phenomenon.

I’ll also answer questions while I’m here. :slight_smile:

How much time do you spend thinking up the name of your column each night? :wink:

Let me answer a question I received via PM, about using creatine pre-contest.

I’d stay on it as long as possible through the cutting period. If you can handle it through the dehydration, even better.

Although creatine generally has little direct effect on muscle growth/breakdown, it may have more of an effect during an extreme calorie restricted period like pre-comp.

You need to be very aware of how your body is handling it, particularly with the dehydrated state.

One more thing, we really don’t have any good evidence that creatine hinders fat loss.

Cheers

Are you a fan of cyclical dieting? If so, do you have any strategies to suggest in this regard?

DB,

Why is it often recommended that people should not ingest water/liquid during their meals? Does it really hinder the absorption process? Or is this merely focusing on the minutia?

Thanks!

vroom, cyclical dieting? No, I’m not a huge proponent, although it has its uses (must equivocate…).

Let me explain: some people absolutely love diet cycling, while it can drive other people crazy. Considering that adherence is the biggest hurdle to overcome in any diet regime, you really need to give people what they want (except for the “bad food”).

I think it works better with younger, more gun-ho people, because they often want to try every trick in the book. Older people (no semantics please :), tend to prefer a more simple/steady approach.

Hope this helps!

[quote]vroom wrote:
Are you a fan of cyclical dieting? If so, do you have any strategies to suggest in this regard?[/quote]

Barr,

Just got done reading your creatine article. VERY interesting… OMG when did this come out? I missed it.

1/4 of a teaspoon of salt with 3-5 grams?

Post workout I take Surge + Power Drive + 3 grams of piracetam… Would it be wise to add 1/4 teaspoon of table salt to that concoction?

Very interesting article…

I noticed in the Scrawny to Brawny book the creatine supplementation is in post workout as recommended in your article.

Anything else to add?

-Get Lifted

CW, I’m familiar with the idea that water consumption can dilute our digestive enzymes, therefore slowing digestion and subsequent absorption.

It’s a really cool theory, and makes sense… in theory. Do I think it plays a noticeable role in affecting absorption? No, not for anyone with a healthy GI tract.

Conversely, consuming food with water will slow the absorption of the water. This may seem intuitive, but it’s a little more complicated than you may thing. It has to do with where the water is absorbed in the gut, but that’s another story.

BTW-I have about 500-1000mL liquid with every meal.

[quote]Chad Waterbury wrote:
DB,

Why is it often recommended that people should not ingest water/liquid during their meals? Does it really hinder the absorption process? Or is this merely focusing on the minutia?

Thanks![/quote]

What’s your take on CEE? I have several friends taking it and they swear by it. Myself I’m sticking with mono.

High-Barr,

What’s your opinion on diets like the Anabolic Diet, where carbs are cycled over the space of a week?

As you can probably tell, I just read Shugart’s Eat Like a Man article, and, on face value, that diet looks pretty atractive for my lifestyle.

Creatine Ethyl Ester seems to be pretty sexy right now. Why is it hot? Because the ads tell people it is, of course.

I’ve been trying this stuff because it’s cheap enough for me to waste cash on, and I don’t want to completely dismiss something until I’ve tried it (unless of course I think the product is harmful, like glycocyamine or guanidinopropionic acid).

I hear that it tastes like cat urine (how people know what cat urine tastes like is beyond me), which made me want to try it even more! Unfortunately, it ruins the taste of Surge (real REAL bad), but is tolerable with plain sucrose.

I really didn’t expect to see anything special with this supplement, which is a potential reason why I’m not. Then again, you can’t have placebo effect of putting on several pounds in a week.

You’re not missing anything from not using this product.

Get Lifted, glad you liked the article.

The cool thing is that you don’t have to add sodium when you use Surge, because it’s already in there. I’m not suggesting that this is by design to specifically enahnce creatine uptake, it’s just a cool coincidence.

Also, you probably want to take the Power Drive half an hour before the Surge, so there’s no competition for amino acid transport.

Good question!

Question for David Barr:

Why?

Massif, for the record, I am stealing your “High-Barr” for a future Prime Time. :slight_smile:

To me, the Anabolic Diet is a traditional low carb diet. I think it’s because I first read about it in the early 90’s, in a book by Bill Phillips.

No one has ever heard of low carb at the time (again, except us Canadians, who live on whale meat), so enduring the criticism was more difficult than the actual diet.

Overall I’m a fan… I mean, those carb weekends, you feel like a God! If this fits your lifestyle, even better!

I just wish they had HOT-ROX when I tried it. LOL

Let us know how it goes!

Because you are a masochist. There is just no other reason why someone would put themselves through a triathalon! LOL

[quote]TriGWU wrote:
Question for David Barr:

Why?[/quote]

[quote]David Barr wrote:
Massif, for the record, I am stealing your “High-Barr” for a future Prime Time. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

It was either that or Monkey-Barr :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback.

[quote]David Barr wrote:
Get Lifted, glad you liked the article.

The cool thing is that you don’t have to add sodium when you use Surge, because it’s already in there. I’m not suggesting that this is by design to specifically enahnce creatine uptake, it’s just a cool coincidence.

Also, you probably want to take the Power Drive half an hour before the Surge, so there’s no competition for amino acid transport.

Good question![/quote]

Really…take the Power Drive before the Surge? Could you explain to me why?

Also, any interesting findings in the world of supplements to repair joints?

I have heard excellent things regarding such compounds as glucosamine, chondroitin, fish oils, etc. I would like to know your take on Wobenzyme, how it works, and the overall efficacy as well as synergistic compounds.

Thanks so much.

I don’t suppose you could PM me the answer when you get a chance, would you? I don’t want to lose this thread, and I won’t be able to check the forum again for a few days.

However it may work, thanks for your time.

Thanks Barr,

I don’t know how I missed the article but it was a gem.

“Amino Acid Transport Competition”

This is just an educated guess here…
Barr with me— :wink:

I’m guessing that because the Power Drive contains the amino acid tyrosine (3000 mg) in addition to Phosphatidylcholine and DMAE Bitartrate and the Surge contains the amino Acids L-Phenylalanine, L-Glutamine, L-Leucine, L-Valine, L-Isoleucine… (11-12grams total)

If taken at the same time as I did yesterday… The blood or body or brain… will drop off some of the amino acids if there is too many present at a single given time… or dose?

mmmm

30 minutes prior to Surge- take the Power Drive…

Using A (Pre-During-Post) 3 scoop of Surge in each bottle routine… Would the Power Drive interfere with the During workout drink??? Becuase if I’m pretty much gulping the 3 scoop Surge 10 minutes prior to the workout and then another 3 scoops during the workout and then another 3 scoops immediately after the workout would it interfere? I’m trying to take what you said and put it to use thats all…mmmm

Would I need to finish the During workout drink about 30-40 minutes prior to using the Power Drive? Then take the post 3 scoop Surge right after the Power Drive?

I was trying to use it for CNS recovery… Given what you said I’m trying to find the best way to implement your suggestion.

Maybe I’m waaaay off on the whole amino acid competition thing but I thought I would take a stab at it.

Cool tools,

-Get Lifted

I wanted to mention from last night, that I actually wrote up my CEE experience before seeing the question about it. Kinda creepy.

Looking forward to tonight’s questions!