Prime Time: 3 Hour Barrathon

In light of our discussion about my avatar last week, I need to thank Rory for his great work on the snatch picture… Thanks very much!

What’s new in your world of supplements and nutrition??

Hello,

2 Questions…very different…

1.)For people like me who are having digestion/allergy issues with the milk based proteins (whey/casein) would an egg based protein powder be the next best bet?

2.)I have been using a quercetin/bromelain blend to help manage my allergies (living in Houston can suck sometimes). I recently read, however, that quercetin can has estrogenic effects. Are you familiar with this? Any thoughts.

Thanks

We’ve also been discussing pre-competition work with Mike Hanley. Well he finally competed and did quite well!

Be sure to check out his pics here: http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=648416

Great job Mike!

Hi Dave

Thanks for being here tonight!

There was a thread posted a while back called “Abdominal Bulge” which I will attempt to summarise.

Various body types such as mine have a big ballooning belly, in contrast to the rest of our physiques. However, when we suck our guts in or flex our abs, the belly sorts of disappears and one can see the ab muscles in their raw form.

Recently, I have gone through the VDiet, and currently hold about 6% BF. I can almost say that I am shredded except in the gut area… which again sorts of balloons out (though of course not as much as before). However, if I were to suck my gut in, I am confident I can hold my ground in a show.

Thus, a few questions:

Is this an accumulation of bodyfat exclusively around the gut area, and hence gentically determined? Or is this not fat… something else (loose skin?)

If indeed it was fat, from your experience, on what sorts of diets (macro-nutrient breakdowns, calorie intake) do you think will tend to work best for us types, during bulking and during cutting.

Well thanks again!

Dave, I know you talk bad about glutamine but I believe you did mention that for short periods away from the gym it may be benefical, care to expand on that, this is an off-week from the gym so

That is the coolest avatar of all time David. However I’m cooking up something that will top it, just just prepare yourself…

[quote]David Barr wrote:
In light of our discussion about my avatar last week, I need to thank Rory for his great work on the snatch picture… Thanks very much!

What’s new in your world of supplements and nutrition??[/quote]

What was the best advice you recieved, and the advice you would give to a nutrition student in regards to becoming successful in the nutrition field?

Thanks in advance.

D-Bizzle,

What’s your take on the liquid multi-vitimins? Better? Worse? The problem I have with them is most only contain like 100% of the RDA, is that enough?

Maxwell, where you been? Good to have you back.

Your question…

1. Yes, egg is the next best for general supplementation. Also, I’d definitely consider free amino acids for early mornings and peri-workout.

2. It seems like the compounds you mentioned have more of an anti-estrogenic effect than anything. No worries so far!

3. Yes, living in Houston can suck, my allergies are crazy this season too! LOL

Cheers

[quote]JSMaxwell wrote:
Hello,

2 Questions…very different…

1)For people like me who are having digestion/allergy issues with the milk based proteins (whey/casein) would an egg based protein powder be the next best bet?

2.)I have been using a quercetin/bromelain blend to help manage my allergies (living in Houston can suck sometimes). I recently read, however, that quercetin can has estrogenic effects. Are you familiar with this? Any thoughts.

Thanks
[/quote]

“The bulge” can be the scourge of even the most rigorous diet.

I find that people (in general, not you)are far too quick to jump on the idea that it’s all intra abdominal fat.

To me it’s more just a result of our natural laziness (I’m guilty of this too) because it’s all too easy to just relax and let those abs (ie gut) just hang out.

I also recall someone writing that bodybuilders often tend to train abs in such a way that they cause abdominal bulging. Our large meals compound the problem by stretching the stomach.

Throw in the potential that we have intra abdominal fat, and the situation gets messy.

Here’s what you do:

1. Make a conscious effort to maintain natural ab contractility, as often as you can. After a while, this becomes second nature.

2. Don’t eat LARGE meals before bed. If you must, use a shirt or something soft to reduce the relaxed stretching of our abs -stick it under your stomach if laying on your side, or just sleep on your back.

3. Check your family history for heart conditions. This can tell you a lot about your intra abdominal fat. Sadly, this is largely genetic.

4. Train abs in a lengthened position, rather than just with crunches, roman chair, etc.

Hope this helps!

[quote]fragfeaster777 wrote:
Hi Dave

Thanks for being here tonight!

There was a thread posted a while back called “Abdominal Bulge” which I will attempt to summarise.

Various body types such as mine have a big ballooning belly, in contrast to the rest of our physiques. However, when we suck our guts in or flex our abs, the belly sorts of disappears and one can see the ab muscles in their raw form.

Recently, I have gone through the VDiet, and currently hold about 6% BF. I can almost say that I am shredded except in the gut area… which again sorts of balloons out (though of course not as much as before). However, if I were to suck my gut in, I am confident I can hold my ground in a show.

Thus, a few questions:

Is this an accumulation of bodyfat exclusively around the gut area, and hence gentically determined? Or is this not fat… something else (loose skin?)

If indeed it was fat, from your experience, on what sorts of diets (macro-nutrient breakdowns, calorie intake) do you think will tend to work best for us types, during bulking and during cutting.

Well thanks again!

[/quote]

bp, you know, I went back to look at what you are referring to, but couldn’t find it.

Since the original articles were written, more science has come out showing the lack of effect of glutamine in all kinds of situations.

Based on the extent to which it has gone, I do not think that glutamine would be of any use for short (or long) layoffs. Actually, based on what we have today, I don’t think that glutamine is good for anything anymore.

BTW-Where’d you find that?

Cheers

[quote]bigpump23 wrote:
Dave, I know you talk bad about glutamine but I believe you did mention that for short periods away from the gym it may be benefical, care to expand on that, this is an off-week from the gym so[/quote]

Barr Tab,

Like all good T-Nation acolytes, I religiously take my fish oil for good fats and to reduce inflammation. This is the bit that I’ve missed - what causes the inflammation in the first place?

Cheers.

Aw come on Coach, I can’t compete with someone of your caliber. Go easy on me. :slight_smile:

Looking forward to seeing it!

BTW-Thanks for the compliment.

[quote]CharlesStaley wrote:
That is the coolest avatar of all time David. However I’m cooking up something that will top it, just just prepare yourself…[/quote]

Dave,

Regarding your avatar:

I think it is only fair to let the members know that your girlfriend lives in Boston and you are in Houston.

Therefore, I guess the picture in your avatar is the only snatch you’ve had in while.

Of course I’m married, so I guess I should go find a DB and get my camera as well.

Ryan

[quote]David Barr wrote:
bp, you know, I went back to look at what you are referring to, but couldn’t find it.

Since the original articles were written, more science has come out showing the lack of effect of glutamine in all kinds of situations.

Based on the extent to which it has gone, I do not think that glutamine would be of any use for short (or long) layoffs. Actually, based on what we have today, I don’t think that glutamine is good for anything anymore.

BTW-Where’d you find that?

Cheers

bigpump23 wrote:
Dave, I know you talk bad about glutamine but I believe you did mention that for short periods away from the gym it may be benefical, care to expand on that, this is an off-week from the gym so[/quote]

Could of sworn you said it in your D-Tap, i listened to it alot, I’m listening to it right now

aaronm, I think the most common, albeit most useful advice is to find your passion and go with it.

When you’re passionate about your work, you can work long and hard, without ever having felt like you’re working.

Also, be sure to stand out in some way. Getting noticed is a big deal, but make sure it’s in the right way. :slight_smile:

Can you give me some info on your interests/goals?

[quote]aaronm wrote:
What was the best advice you recieved, and the advice you would give to a nutrition student in regards to becoming successful in the nutrition field?

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

DB did you check out the post contest feast? Hey man thanks for the feedback and positive encouragement. I appreciate all your help preparing and learning. My next show will be at the end of September so I have a few months to train like a beast and get some food in me. I stocked up on the new Carbolin 19 which I am excited to take. Any suggestions. I love the Methoxy-7 and the Alpha Male as well. Any suggestions on stacking them or timing them off each other? Let me know what you think. I gotta stay pretty lean cause I was asked to do a photo shoot for the INBF magazine. Anyway thanks again.

analog, liquid vitamins have potential to be great because they seem more absorbable. Also, it’d be easier to meter out your dose and consume multiple times a day for optimum effect.

BUT there’s just something about them that makes me uneasy… I’m not sure that manufacturers can really provide what they say. I have no evidence that they don’t, but I have yet to use these products.

Bottom Line: They are potentially better, but they haven’t been around long enough for us to tell.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
D-Bizzle,

What’s your take on the liquid multi-vitimins? Better? Worse? The problem I have with them is most only contain like 100% of the RDA, is that enough?[/quote]

Massif, excellent question!

Inflammation basically happens from muscle damage caused by our workouts. This is what I call Phase I or good muscle damage. Proteins end up in places where they shouldn’t, or parts or proteins get exposed to areas they shouldn’t, and our body basically freaks out.

With these signs of muscle damage, our body seeks out the afflicted areas to clean them up and lay down new proteins. This is Phase II damage, because it’s caused by our own bodies after the initial mechanical (ie Phase I) damage.

Unfortunately, we end up killing healthy tissue too! That’s the bad part, and why we ice things to minimize the Phase II damage.

Muscle soreness and stiffness? Yeah, that’s all Phase II damage. We also use fish oil to minimize this.

Let me know if I can clarify any of this.

[quote]Massif wrote:
Barr Tab,

Like all good T-Nation acolytes, I religiously take my fish oil for good fats and to reduce inflammation. This is the bit that I’ve missed - what causes the inflammation in the first place?

Cheers.[/quote]

Doc, regarding the avatar, just don’t ask why my face is red or what I’m doing with my left hand.

[quote]Dr. Ryan wrote:
Dave,

Regarding your avatar:

I think it is only fair to let the members know that your girlfriend lives in Boston and you are in Houston.

Therefore, I guess the picture in your avatar is the only snatch you’ve had in while.

Of course I’m married, so I guess I should go find a DB and get my camera as well.

Ryan[/quote]