Prime Time: 2 For 1 Barrgain

Tonight for the first time ever we have two contribs on one thread. Dr. Lonman (pictured above) will be on this thread, so feel free to ask us both questions (or just expect two answers).

Site of The Week: http://www.nhl.com

Let’s get to it!

Ouch, Dr. Lonman, I guess that injury really has affected your physique… don’t worry, I’m sure you’ll bounce back!

Also, this 2 for 1 set-up is sweet, I always want to ask both of you the same stuff anyway, so this rules. Anyway, I’m inquiring about how the body handles sugar alcohols. Can I continue to use my sugar free syrup guilt free or am I being ignorant in this practice?

Oh, sorry, the above pic is actually Dr. Ryan, not Dr. Lonman.

I’m looking GOOOD in that pic, my friend!

Who’s that the love of your life?LOL

Handsome devil… and so inviting!

Let’s see if I have a pic of Mr. David somewhere on my hard drive…

But first maybe there are some questions.

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
Anyway, I’m inquiring about how the body handles sugar alcohols. Can I continue to use my sugar free syrup guilt free or am I being ignorant in this practice?[/quote]

It’s not too bad as long as you don’t use too much. In other words, don’t go to the Olympia with Dr. Ryan after he’s been eating free samples of protein Barrs all day. :stuck_out_tongue:

BTW-Why go sugar free?

Hey Guys,

Forgive the basic question, I did a search and found too much info that I had trouble sifting through.

How would you both use creatine? I know that we don’t need as much as labels will say. I figure right after a workout with the pwo shake, but what about off days and initial loading?

I confess, I have trained for years and have never taken supplements other than whey, oils and vits/mins. Just goes to show an old dog can learn new tricks!

Rolo

Sugar alcohols (mannitol, sorbitol, xylitol) don’t promote cavities nor do they induce blood sugar swings like “the real stuff”. (Hence the listing of “net carbs” on a label.)

In amounts over a few grams per serving, though, their side effects can be explosive. I saw a low-carb “protein bar” a few weeks ago with 23g of sorbitol. Wow. I might as well take a chocolate Exlax.

Dave,

Since you’re also a strength and conditioning coach, my question is : Is there any difference in fat loss with different forms of cardio ?

I seem to recall reading that somewhere on this site, ie. bike vs treadmill for instance.

Thanks

Do either of you guys have on your HD’s or available references to studies that a) show that protein damages the liver/kidneys and b) used participants with pre-existing conditions
?
Thanks

Mastermind,
When I use creatine, I just mix a tablespoon with my post workout carbs (dilute sugary drink). Rarely I’ll include some in pre- or mid- workout drinks but I’m not out to “load” or blow-up with water weight per se… just to maximize cell energy for all important protein synthesis (and maybe push up some heavier weights).

DB, why go sugar free with my syrup? Because I’m already overdosing on sugar from all the Pop-Tarts you pimp out to me.

Another question: I take your advice on the nighttime eating, waking myself up to drink some whey mixed in water (I’m just too dogmatic to eat carbs in the middle of the night). Anyway, some nights I’m so knocked out I sleep right throught the cell phone alarm, so the protein is sitting there, already mixed, for like 10 hours before I would ever drink it in the morning. So I’m wondering about protein degredation. Is it an issue regarding the proteins quality and structure for having it mixed in a liquid for an extended period of time before ingesting it?

[quote]David Barr wrote:
Bauer97 wrote:
Anyway, I’m inquiring about how the body handles sugar alcohols. Can I continue to use my sugar free syrup guilt free or am I being ignorant in this practice?

It’s not too bad as long as you don’t use too much. In other words, don’t go to the Olympia with Dr. Ryan after he’s been eating free samples of protein Barrs all day. :stuck_out_tongue:

BTW-Why go sugar free?
[/quote]

[quote]Mastermind wrote:
Hey Guys,How would you both use creatine? I know that we don’t need as much as labels will say. I figure right after a workout with the pwo shake, but what about off days and initial loading?
Rolo[/quote]

Mastermind, great question -your timing couldn’t be better. I outlined some options in the following article:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459369

I also went into the whole pre vs. post workout debate in my upcoming article, which should be out any day now. Also, I go into this even further in my very first newsletter available from my web site (which will be available at the end of my Creatine article).

To summarize, I don’t think it needs to be loaded or used on non-workout days.

Cheers

[quote]Lonnie Lowery wrote:
Sugar alcohols (mannitol, sorbitol, xylitol) don’t promote cavities nor do they induce blood sugar swings like “the real stuff”. (Hence the listing of “net carbs” on a label.)

In amounts over a few grams per serving, though, their side effects can be explosive. I saw a low-carb “protein bar” a few weeks ago with 23g of sorbitol. Wow. I might as well take a chocolate Exlax.

[/quote]

Eeesh, okay, so in moderation… gotcha.

But what exactly is your body doing with these things once they’re ingested then? They do still contain calories, yes?

Just my .02… Treadmill is better (and outdoor walking/ jogging better still) but bodybuilders traditionally live on bikes. Why? It risks local quad fatigue and depletion and just isn’t general/ whole body enough (even I fear loss of leg size). Walking is a more “natural” whole body activity, so although I think it’s good to mix it up, I personally focus on the treadmill.

This is a good question, though, marcus! Time to bust a tradition/ myth.

(I know the question was for Big Dave but my Ph.D. is actually in exercise physiology so I can’t resist.)

[quote]marcus_aurelius wrote:
Dave,

Since you’re also a strength and conditioning coach, my question is : Is there any difference in fat loss with different forms of cardio ?

I seem to recall reading that somewhere on this site, ie. bike vs treadmill for instance.

Thanks[/quote]

Marc, I’ve heard of cardio numerous times, and Caloric expenditure should follow this pattern:
Land Running>Treadmill>Bike>Video Games

Bauer97,
Sorry bro… didn’t mean to be hyper-critical. I used to have a roommate who ate a half gallon of sugar free icecream and punished us all for 2 hours. Call it post-traumatic stress!

Yes, sugar alcohols do have some kcal (about 1.5-3 kcal/ gram)… about half of what carbohydrates do. Their partially absorbed.

[quote]boonville410 wrote:
Do either of you guys have on your HD’s or available references to studies that a) show that protein damages the liver/kidneys and b) used participants with pre-existing conditions
?
Thanks[/quote]

Mmm… I have one for creatine at my finger tips but not protein. The best protein/kidney dysfunction study is done on rats. They removed one whole kidney and 2/3 of the other. Then they fed rats the equivalent of 20000g of protein per day, and it barely had any effect.

Must find that reference…

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/./1/.1127347080112.lat_spread_baby.jpg

Aha!

Here’s the pic I have of David, tearing up the competition with a lat spread that blots out the sun!