PRIME STALEY FOR 8/24/05

Questions? Comments? Rants? Philosophical Incantations? Deep Thoughts?

OR: If you’re just tired and in need of a good laugh, have a listen to the BRILLIANT Phil Hendrie show:

http://www.philhendrieshow.com/home.html

scroll down and on the left navigator click “you’ll never be the next felicity.”

(Sorry I couldn’t figure out a more direct link)

In fact, I’d love to chat about the Phil Hendrie Show all night, so let me know…

Thanks for the answers Charles.

I posted a few more questions/response on your 21 day itch article.

I appreciate all of your help and time.

1. Also, do you think dumbbell swings help w/increasing power clean numbers as kind of an assistance exercise?

2. Do you think doing (bodyweight)handstand pushups (on chairs for full rom) is the equivalent as doing overhead presses w/a barbell (bodyweight)?

Coach Staley,

If I did the Russian Peaking program from your article for deadlifts would I stick to the twice a week format or alter the program to be preformed once a week?

If I did the deads once a week, how would I make the adjustment since there are light days and heavy days?

Thanks Coach!!

[quote]BPC wrote:
Thanks for the answers Charles.

I posted a few more questions/response on your 21 day itch article.

I appreciate all of your help and time.

1. Also, do you think dumbbell swings help w/increasing power clean numbers as kind of an assistance exercise?

No? too light and not specific enough

1. Do you think doing (bodyweight)handstand pushups (on chairs for full rom) is the equivalent as doing overhead presses w/a barbell (bodyweight)?[/quote]

No, but that doesn’t make them a bad thing to do

[quote]basementD wrote:
Coach Staley,

If I did the Russian Peaking program from your article for deadlifts would I stick to the twice a week format or alter the program to be preformed once a week?

For deads these peaking programs may not be ideal. I’d only use the 3x/wk program, and I’d be conservative with the percentages.

If I did the deads once a week, how would I make the adjustment since there are light days and heavy days?

Thanks Coach!![/quote]

Charles, I called Julianne today, pressed “two” and the system hung up on me. Please have her try again tomorrow. Or, email me.

Do you think lifting weights will make you stronger?

[quote]Danny John wrote:
Charles, I called Julianne today, pressed “two” and the system hung up on me. Please have her try again tomorrow. Or, email me.

OK, will do

Do you think lifting weights will make you stronger? [/quote]

What kind of tempo are you using?

OK, we figured out the problem…you have to actually hit the humeral “2,” not “t-w-o”

[quote]Danny John wrote:

Do you think lifting weights will make you stronger? [/quote]

Charles,

Once I finish my current training program (based on CT’s Renaissance Program, also see: http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=727876), I am going to use your 21-Day Itch program. I like the idea of being able to do a little bit of everything in the same week. It’ll definitely help prevent boredom and hopefully getting burned out.

After every fourth week, should I just change the exercises and continue for another cycle?

Here’s my initial plan for the first 4-week phase:

Day 1)
Barbell Rows
Deadlifts

Day 2)
Power clean & jerk
One-arm kbell snatches

Day 3)
Barbell Hack Squats or Back Squats
Bench Presses
Lunges
Chins
*maybe some extra arm work

Day 4)
Backward sled drags
Sandbag lift and carry

Does that look good? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

[quote]Charles Staley wrote:
OK, we figured out the problem…you have to actually hit the humeral “2,” not “t-w-o”[/quote]

hey Coach,

when you respond like that and then type “humeral” instead of “numeral”, it kinda kills it … do you need to have Jules edit your T-Nation posts too?

hey, my back and shoulders are trashed

Bastard

I’d actually be more inclined to use the same exercises for 8-16 weeks, and change loading parameters instead. Or do different versions of the same lifts…power clean, hang clean, clean pull, etc. Hope that helps…

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
Charles,

Once I finish my current training program (based on CT’s Renaissance Program, also see: http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=727876), I am going to use your 21-Day Itch program. I like the idea of being able to do a little bit of everything in the same week. It’ll definitely help prevent boredom and hopefully getting burned out.

After every fourth week, should I just change the exercises and continue for another cycle?

Here’s my initial plan for the first 4-week phase:

Day 1)
Barbell Rows
Deadlifts

Day 2)
Power clean & jerk
One-arm kbell snatches

Day 3)
Barbell Hack Squats or Back Squats
Bench Presses
Lunges
Chins
*maybe some extra arm work

Day 4)
Backward sled drags
Sandbag lift and carry

Does that look good? Any suggestions?

Thanks![/quote]

I know, that really killed it huh?

Glad you’re in pain, I’ll sleep better tonight…

[quote]Bastard Guy wrote:
Charles Staley wrote:
OK, we figured out the problem…you have to actually hit the humeral “2,” not “t-w-o”

hey Coach,

when you respond like that and then type “humeral” instead of “numeral”, it kinda kills it … do you need to have Jules edit your T-Nation posts too?

hey, my back and shoulders are trashed

Bastard[/quote]

[quote]Charles Staley wrote:
I’d actually be more inclined to use the same exercises for 8-16 weeks, and change loading parameters instead. Or do different versions of the same lifts…power clean, hang clean, clean pull, etc. Hope that helps…[/quote]

Okay, cool. Sounds good. I can do that.

Does my current setup seem like a good idea? Or would you switch things around differently?