Prime Rib Suggestions

Hey guys,

Prime rib was on sale so I bought one yesterday. It’s 3.3 pounds and it’s off the bone. I’ve been marinating it in fresh pesto sauce (basil and olive oil) since yesterday afternoon.

Now the question- how would you guys cook this?

I like my meat really rare. I was going to pan sear it in a cast iron for a minute or so on each side, and then throw it in the oven for a half hour or so.

How would you cook this thing?

Keep in mind, it is rare.

I cook everything on the grill.

Man + Fire + Meat = Food

:smiley:

I’d look up recipes on the interwebs, and then I’d roast it in the oven at low temp for a long time, the way god intended for prime rib.

Go check out FoodNetwork, get the recipe from Tyler’s Ultimate, Good Eats, or Bobby Flay…you could probably forgo the searing by cooking it at first at 500F for 20 min, and then dropping the heat to 225-250 to finish it up.

Stick an ovensafe thermometer and go off what that says, and don’t forget to take it out 5-10 degrees earlier than what you’re going for, the meat will continue to cook a bit as it rests.

Other than that, good luck and take some photos to post.

Good Eats ftmfw!

I cook prime rib every christmas. It comes out perfect every time.

What I do is take the prime rib out early in the morning to allow it to come up to room temp. This lets it cook through easier and quicker. I cake the whole thing in coarse kosher salt (or sea salt) and some rosemary (preferably fresh, but dried is fine)

It is easy to overcook a small prime rib. If I’m making a good sized prime rib I’ll cook it at a high temp (475 degrees) for 45 mins, then I’ll lower the temp to 225 and cook it as long as needed to bring the internal temp up high enough for medium rare. a meat thermometer is a MUST. If it’s a tiny prime rib for two people I wouldn’t bother with the high temp portion because I did it once back in the day and ruined it.

many people say to take it out maybe 5 degrees below the internal temp you want because it will continue to cook when you take it out. Let the rib sit for ten minutes before slicing as the juices will redistribute themselves throughout the meat.

it’s important enough to say again…a meat thermometer is a MUST!!

good luck!

This is how I cook prime rib roast. I make it at least a couple of times a month and I like it really rare.

Let the roast sit on the counter for a few hours, to come up to room temp. Preheat the oven to 450 F. Rub the roast all over with a light coating of olive oil. Since you’ve already marinated it in pesto, skip this step. Sprinkle coarse sea salt over the top. Insert a meat thermometer in the centre of the roast.

Roast for 15-20 minutes at 450 F. Reduce heat to 325 F. Cook to desired internal temp. I usually cook it to about 122-125 F for very rare. For a 3 pound roast, this will take a total of about 45 minutes, but always go by the internal temperature. Actual oven temps can vary wildly.

Remove from oven and let rest for 10-15 minutes, loosely tented with foil. Don’t cover it tightly or it will continue to cook in it’s own steam. Carve and enjoy!

Ive done Thomas Keller’s Blowtorch Prime Rib recipe 3 times so far and its quite good. What I do is take a 4-5 pound 2 rib rib roast, let it reach room temperature, make the outside golden brown with a blow torch(easier to do if your prime rib has been dry aged or if it has been dried a bit in your refrigerator), season it with sea salt and pepper and put it into a oven which has been preheated to 275 degrees for an hour and a half to two hours with a thermometer and wait until it reaches a temperature of 118-121 degrees in the oven and reach your preferred temperature somewhere in the range of 122-128 degrees after it has rested outside of the oven.

In your case I would just sear it, season it and put it in the oven at 275 and pull it out at 118 and hope it reaches a temp of 122 after resting which would be the low end of rare.