Primary or Secondary? And Does It Matter?

hCG is hard to obtain for those who would self medicate.

After taking iodine for a while, if one is feeling poorly from liberated bromides that are getting flushed out, then when that phase is over it should be smooth sailing.

1 Like

Dr wanted bloodwork after i felt so ill at same time as starting iodine and feeling generally ill possibly/likely as per KSman’s thoughts above. The blood work highlites that were out of range are as follows;

APRIL 15
WBC 11.5 (range 4.0-11) 109/L
Platelet Count 447 (150-400) 10
12/L
RBC 4.72 (4.3-5.9) 10*12/L
Hemoglobin 149 (135-180) g/L
Hematocrit 0.46 (0.41-0.52) L/L
MCV 97 (80-100)f/L
MCH 31.6 (27-34) pg
MCHC 325 (323-365) g/L

Neutrophils 5.5(2.0-8.0) 109/L
Lymphocytes 4.6 (1.0-4.0) 10
9/L
Monocytes 1.2 (<0.9) 109/L
Eosinophils 0.1 (<0.8) 10
9/L
Basophils 0.1 (<0.3) 10*9/L

RBC Morphology Poly 1+
Platelet Estimate INCREASED

Glucose Fasting 5.2 (3.6-5.5) mmol/L
hrs after meal 10
Hemoglobin A1C 5.3 (4.8-6.2) %

Sodium 141 (135-145) mmol/L
Pottassium 5.4 (3.5-5.0) mmol/L
Creatinine 76(45-110)umol/L
Estimated GFR 96 (>59) mL/min/1.73sq.

ALT 31 (<50) U/L

Dr assumed some type of infection or virus or whatever for the first 4 tests shown. No ideas on the Pottassium but to monitor it.

APRIL 29
Pottassium 5.5 (3.5-5.0) mmol/L
dropped my BP medicine (mavik) and replaced it with a water pill - hydrochlorothiazide. (mavik increases pottassium retention and hydro decreases it)

MAY 6th - (yes this is after the endo visit of MAY 2)
Pottassium at 4.7 mmol/L (3.5-5.0)
Monocytes 1.0 (<0.9) 10*9/L

Most values were back in normal ranges and I felt better, Monocytes were still slighty out of range at 1.0 . I have no idea what this means but I have noticed this on other bloodwork from time to time.

MAY 2nd I got in to see the new endo, SHE took a history, did a full physical exam, reviewed previous bloodwork and ordered some new bloodwork.
Not very hopefull about this new Endo as she was dismissive and said many silly things during this appointment, too many to list, one example is she said - well, your testosterone level was not really that low, it was barely below the low range of normal…
I have still not heard from her 2.5 weeks later but she has had communication with my family Dr.

MAY 2 (last shot 80mg Test. on April 28) I don’t have a copy of these so only what I remember -
ALT - 30? FROM MEMORY (<50) U/L
AST - 30? FROM MEMORY (<36) U/L
Prolactin 14.5ug/L (5?-15)

2 weeks past Endo visit got new bloodwork from family Dr.

MAY 14 (last shot 80mg Test on May 10th)
WBC 10.9 (range 4.0-11) 109/L
Platelet Count 374 (150-400) 10
12/L
RBC 4.50 (4.3-5.9) 10*12/L
Hemoglobin 143 (135-180) g/L
Hematocrit 0.46 (0.41-0.52) L/L
MCV 96 (80-100)f/L
MCH 31.8 (27-34) pg
MCHC 332 (323-365) g/L

Neutrophils 5.5(2.0-8.0) 109/L
Lymphocytes 4.0 (1.0-4.0) 10
9/L
Monocytes 1.1 (<0.9) 109/L
Eosinophils 0.2 (<0.8) 10
9/L
Basophils <0.1

Pottassium 5.3 mmol/L (3.5-5.0)

Estradiol 43 pg/ml (<42.5) *I converted this one, actual labwork says 159 (<156) pmol/L
Testosterone 17.6 nmol/L (8.4-28.7)
Free test calc. 628 pmol/L (200-800)
SHBG 10 nmol/L (13-71)

Do not know why the Pot. went up again, upped the hydro dosage, Dr wouldnt discuss changing much else.

Curious if anyone has any insight into the pottassium going up, never have had this issue before.
I have just heard of a new DR that may be more capable and will try to see him first but
it seems like i may need to self start AI and HCG as it doesnt look like I will be supported on this front. Thinking of keeping the Test E at 80mg 2x a week and adding 250iu HCG EOD and 1mg Arimidex per week (divided doses) or 6.75-12.5mg Aromasine EOD depending on what i can get my hands on.

Appreciate any help!

Edit to add more lab results May 22

have you ever tested your Aldosterone levels? if not, you may want to research that topic.

have you had any additional tests of your thyroid functions like free T3, or Cortisol tests?

there is also a blood test that can confirm your iodine level.

Thanks Pure,
I will check into all that you mentioned, never tested or heard mention of any of those except the cortisol once - *Cortisol = 197 nmol/L (171-536) [7.14 ug/dL (6.2-19.43)]

It sure would be great to be tested for all or most of the things I have requested at the same time by someone who knew there way around, i would be 6 mths ahead of where I am now I’m sure, I will keep working on it.

Best advice I would give to anyone with any kind of complication in there case, which is a high percentage I’m sure, would be to put a pile of effort into getting with the right caretaker asap.
Don’t quit looking for and interviewing and booking appointments with people until you are sure they will provide needed services.
You don’t want to wait a week or 2 mths to get in to see someone or get some test done and it turns out to be a step in the wrong direction and have to start all over with nothing lined up.

if you check out my thread MY HRT JOURNEY (SO FAR) with the link to my blood tests, you will see 3-4 years of random docs performing random tests which makes diagnosing and discovering the actual underlying issue almost impossible.

Listing only labs that out of range is very wrong. We can see things that doctors should be concerned with, but they are slaves to the normal range.

“Estradiol 43 pg/ml (<42.5)”

This is a huge problem. You should be taking anastrozole, 1mg/week for every 100mg T injected. Read the stickies for more details.

High estradiol can create water retention. Get E2 near 22pg/ml and then see what the problems are after that.

You are of course correct about incomplete labs, I have updated the post with all I could.

I’ve been waiting to finally get to the point where I could show that E2 was high so I could get on with correcting it, finally have some documentation.

Started new setup on the 20th with the initial idea of keeping the Test E at 80mg 2x a week and adding 250iu HCG EOD and 1mg Arimidex per week. Opened the anastrozole I picked up and found that it is 1mg powder filled capsules. I am concerned about accurate dosing as I do not have a scale and I cannot be too positive of exacting potency anyways.

I took one cap and tried to dissolve the contents into vodka. I stopped adding vodka at 9cc’s but it did not dissolve well. I wonder if the undisolved sediment would be filler only?

Day 1 -80mg Test E (Tuesdays and Fridays for a total of 160mg/week)
-Approx .33mg Anastrozole
-250 iu HCG SQ
Day 2 -Approx .33mg Anastrozole
-500 iu HCG SQ
Day 3 -Today - no meds
Day 4 -Tommorrow - then EOD for now(?) of -
-Approx 0.5mg Anastrozole
-250 iu HCG SQ

This would put me at 1.75mg Anastrozole per week on 160mg Test, close to 1.1mg Anastrozole per 100mg Test. Thinking this should be ok to start.

Could I also go to protocol of same amounts of Anastrozole and HCG on Tuesday, Friday and Sunday if i need a small downward adjustment? Then would be at 1.5mg A per 160mg Test or .9375mg/100mg Test.

Went to the Dr today and was happy to see that he had received a two page report from my Endo visit at the beginning of the month. I was very excited as 22 days is a long time to wait for an EXPERT opinion, finally some answers! Well she could have saved a lot of paper…

Her brilliant insight?
“I would not treat with testosterone. Advise him to lose some weight, being overweight can cause symptoms of low testosterone”

Thanks for the education doc, well worth the wait, I don’t know whether to laugh or cry.

Although I guess I better not cry as that may increase my estrogen level or something (yes-I’m joking)

sorry excel. Sounds like a typical endo.

what did your doctor say?

He did not say much, did not blunty criticize her but we will be carrying on with the treatment.

The search continues…

So I had started self treatment on the 20th of May with
-160mg/week in 2 shots
-0.5 mg Anastrozole EOD with
-250 iu HCG SQ EOD
By the start of June I felt the best I have felt symptom wise in a very long time. But despite most symptoms being better I also started to get a new one namely soreness in and around my joints. This is not completely new to me, I have some nagging injuries but it felt different than ever before. For example my knees were not just sore right in the joint but for 4 inches on either side as well. Same idea for elbows, I have had some tendinitis issues for years but never any real tricep trouble. Now my lower triceps were sore and felt puffy and tender from the elbow insertion and up about 2-3 inches, I have never had that before. Had no other contributing changes in the gym or diet or anything else I could think of.

This was all around May 28 to June 3rd.

I was eager to get some bloodwork to assess the effect of the new protocol but my Dr was to be away for a while. I came to the conclusion that it was possible my E was being driven too low and causing the joint issues so I decide to drop the Ana dose down and see what changed. June 4th to 9th Ana dosed at 0.25 mg then June 11th to 15th at 0.33 mg. No positive changes on the joint issue but during this time libido was at its best in years and my boys had normalized noticeably.

June 15th I take a family member to the Dr and my Dr is back early! He mentions to me that we should follow up on my potassium issue and hey lets get your hormones checked as well!
I had really wanted to be solid on the new protocol before getting bloods done again but agreed to do blood work the next morning so we could review before my next shot on Friday. Obvious and clear illustration of the complications that can happen when semi self treating!

June 13
-80mg T shot
-0.33 mg Anastrozole
-250 iu HCG
June 15
-0.33 mg Anastrozole
-250 iu HCG

JUNE 16 BLOOD WORK
WBC 9.9 (range 4.0-11) 109/L
Platelet Count 359 (150-400) 10
12/L
RBC 4.88 (4.3-5.9) 10*12/L
Hemoglobin 154 (135-180) g/L
Hematocrit 0.47 (0.41-0.52) L/L
MCV 96 (80-100)f/L
MCH 31.6 (27-34) pg
MCHC 328 (323-365) g/L

Neutrophils 3.7 (2.0-8.0) 109/L
Lymphocytes 5.3 (1.0-4.0) 10
9/L
Monocytes 0.6 (<0.9) 109/L
Eosinophils 0.3 (<0.8) 10
9/L

Platelet Estimate NORMAL

Glucose Fasting 5.2 (3.6-5.5) mmol/L
hrs after meal 10
Hemoglobin A1C 5.3 (4.8-6.2) %

Pottassium 4.5 (3.5-5.0) mmol/L

Estradiol 30 pg/ml (<42.5) *I converted this one, actual labwork says 110 (<156) pmol/L
Testosterone 41.0 nmol/L (8.4-28.7)
Free test calc. 1466 pmol/L (200-800)
SHBG 6 nmol/L (13-71)

My observations are that the Ana dose of 0.5 should work well, Test levels are now too high (but I feel best yet so are they really?) and HCG appears to be working.
Should SHBG continuing to go lower be a concern at this point?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I have the green light to stop the Lipitor, at least for a few months and see what effect that has on my overall situation. Any advice on stopping this product appreciated as I am seeing some indications that there are issues getting off but have trouble seperating the BS from fact, THANKS

Bump for my SHBG question, I have looked around and not come up with an answer.
How low is too low for SHBG?

Should SHBG continuing to go lower be a concern at this point?

Anybuddy?

IMO, theres not really a lot to be gained by worrying about SHBG because there is little you can do to directly influence it…

Dont worry about lab numbers, concentrate on how you FEEL and use the labs as a guide…

Thanks VTB,

Maybe I am over thinking it and reading/researching too much.

I guess alot of my concern comes from when I read about low SHBG being associated with certain other conditions like hypothyroidism, elevated prolactin and cortisol, insulin resistance, LDL cell size etc. I wish I understood what associated means in these cases more clearly, kind of a chicken or the egg thing. For example I had a prolactin level of 14.5ug/L (5?-15) on one bloodtest. Is that elevated to the point of concern? I have seen lots of studies and papers about elevated prolactin but not seen a number that is defined as what should be alarming. Chicken or the egg? Should i be concerned about the prolactin as supported by the SHBG numbers or the other way around or neither?

Thanks for bringing up the fact that how you FEEL is most important, I lose site of that sometimes for sure.

IMO your prolactin levels are a bit elevated, but get back to your symptoms and how you feel…do you have symptoms of high prolactin (erection issues, low T, etc.)? If not, then don’t worry about it…

Also have to make sure you got a true blood test–did you abstain from sex, masturbation, and playing with babies/puppies around the test?

Lots of stuff interwoven, like you mention, but sometimes it helps to take a step back…