T Nation

Priests Don't Get Laid?

I guess this never really hit me until today, but priests really don’t get laid, ever! It hit me as I was looking thru the pictures regarding the new pope’s election today.

Realizing that the sex abuse scandals that have being going on represent less than 1/2 of 1% of all priests, you can say that alot of these guys don’t ever get any.

what is that all about?

some of the pic’s showed young guys, priests, playing guitars and singing. Most of them didn’t look much older than me. do you think that they really give up snatch for the rest of their lives. I was looking at the pictures of the cardinals and thought, some of these guys haven’t had a woman in over 50 years, maybe even longer if ever.

Bro, the only thing I could think after I read your post is I’d NEVER be a priest!

Many of them probably never had any snatch to begin with, so they don’t know the nirvana (excuse the pun) they’re missing.

it’s still mind boggling! I could see if you are in your 70’s, and maybe the thing doesn’t really respond to well anymore. But some of these guys looked even younger than me (29 years old). I get horny at least 1 time an hour, minimum.

Ya, and they wonder why they have problems with them molesting children… can you sexual frustration???

Way back when I read a biography of John Paul II which I believe said that he had sex during the War years, but it was only once or twice.

I think there has been a recent trend in the last few years for men to enter the priesthood after spending some time in the real world. A few men go into the priesthood after their wives die. IMO, some real world experience should be a requirement.

I knew two guys in college who seriously considered entering the priesthood. Even though at the time I considered myself to be an agnostic, and still do, I never made fun of them for their choice because these were two good, decent, normal guys who would have really made a contribution. Both of them “lost the calling” when they graduated. The celibacy thing was the kicker.

I think there are a handful of priests who are truly committed to the calling. I think the majority of them enter the priesthood to escape the real world because they can’t deal with having a relationship either because they’re gay and don’t want to admit it or some other reason.

Back in 6th grade I had three friends who left to a priest seminar in the East Coast to become priests. I didn’t see them again until one year ago when I accidentally bumped into two of them in my calculus class in college.

They had left around the same time (senior year of high school) and said it was not really for them. The third one had actually left 2 weeks after he joined the seminar just saying that it “wasn’t for him.”

I asked my friends what led them to leave and gave me this really long answer specifying different reasons, but the main reasons were being surrounded in the company of guys yearround made them crazy, and the idea of celibacy was too much. And actually people from the seminar left practically every year by the handfuls.

-ton

1/2 - 1% ??? are you crazy or just innocent? thats only the ones who are reported here in the USA, worldwide its MUCH more, catholic priests world wide are known for being gay child molesters. sorry if i came out kinda harsh but i went to catholic high school in South America and down there thats a everydyay thing, priests getting kicked out, killed, some go crazy, just imagine ur self with no poontang EVER, plus they give them extra ( i forgot the ingredient) in the food and helps reduce the hornyness ( is that a word?), i know as a fact that they do that in the Colombian Army for the troops when they are out in the field.

Columbian: The word you’re thinking of is: saltpeter. I wonder why it’s supposed to work, because it’s an ingredient of both black gunpowder and TNT. :slight_smile:

so they don’t get laid. As hard as it may be for some guys to understand, some people are just not that drawn to sex, for some it’s really not important and they can live without it. Seeing threads like this confirms most guys being just mindless in their quest for sex, like little monkeys, lol. Or maybe i need a test shot.

Gregus, to further what you just said, there are also men who have the natural desire for sex, but suppress it. I know such a thing is difficult for people on this board to understand, but it is in fact possible for the mind to control the penis instead of the other way around.

Now of course, there are men also who are extremely sexual in nature - such is an indication these men are likely NOT called to the priesthood. For most other men though it is a decision - not one taken lightly - but nonetheless a decision to forego marriage and therefore sex to enter the priesthood.

Also note that ALL men, priests or not are called to forego sex until they are married - another thing people on this board are generally unable to understand.

Now, I am not a Catholic (I am Protestant), and I think there are good reasons to allow pastors to marry - for one it greatly increases the number of men willing to enter the field. That said, I also think for certain men there are great virtues to celibacy and don’t presume to tell the Catholic church how to choose their priests!

My mind has always been in control. And I have NEVER molested a child and never will – this puts me one up on most priests.

If you look at my post, I spoke in terms of a “relationship,” not just wild monkey sex.

I do agree that there are a handful of priests truly committed to their calling. The majority, IMO, suffer psychological and emotional problems.

[quote]Colombian wrote:
1/2 - 1% ??? are you crazy or just innocent? thats only the ones who are reported here in the USA, worldwide its MUCH more, catholic priests world wide are known for being gay child molesters. sorry if i came out kinda harsh but i went to catholic high school in South America and down there thats a everydyay thing, priests getting kicked out, killed, some go crazy, just imagine ur self with no poontang EVER, plus they give them extra ( i forgot the ingredient) in the food and helps reduce the hornyness ( is that a word?), i know as a fact that they do that in the Colombian Army for the troops when they are out in the field.[/quote]

This is pure junk. I love how people want to pin the notion of every Catholic priest being a gay child molester which is utter nonsense. There is CLEARLY a problem in the Catholic Church with addressing this critical issue and the hope of most Catholics (like myself) is that this will get the full attention it deserves immediately. For far too long, a blind eye was turned or it was assumed that somehow the priest could be cured of the issue (a belief that subsequent research has shown to be a fallacy). I am going to find the statistics on this, but the rate of molestation by Catholic priests is identical to that of clergy in other faiths. Trying to pin it all on celibacy or claiming that all Catholic priests are abusers just does not fly.

That being said, I think the celibacy part is a tough thing to bear for any priest. The Catholic Church has not always required celibacy of priests and it truly kicked in probably 700-800 years ago when there was a corruption issue and bishops were giving their heirs church lands when they died. Today it is viewed mostly as a means by which to provide full attention and devotion to the Church, but it certainly is not doing much to help out with the fact that the number of priests is rapidly declining.

Kuz

• Return with honor.

What really bothered me about the child molesting was the fact that it was covered up by other priests. Instead of sending the offenders to counseling or whatever, they were simply transferred to other parishes where they could molest again. In criminal law, this is called aiding and abetting. Priests are supposed to be pillars of morality – they are certainly quick to make moral judgments about everybody else. For them to cover up these incidents is unconscionable.

[quote]MikeShank wrote:
I guess this never really hit me until today, but priests really don’t get laid, ever! It hit me as I was looking thru the pictures regarding the new pope’s election today.

Realizing that the sex abuse scandals that have being going on represent less than 1/2 of 1% of all priests, you can say that alot of these guys don’t ever get any.

what is that all about?

some of the pic’s showed young guys, priests, playing guitars and singing. Most of them didn’t look much older than me. do you think that they really give up snatch for the rest of their lives. I was looking at the pictures of the cardinals and thought, some of these guys haven’t had a woman in over 50 years, maybe even longer if ever.
[/quote]

The goal of any true Christian is to be able to leave all earthly passions behind, and this includes passions of the flesh. Priests are allowed to have sex if they are married. this means that they will not be allowed to become bishops or to move on up the ladder of command. laters pk

[quote]MikeTheBear wrote:
What really bothered me about the child molesting was the fact that it was covered up by other priests. Instead of sending the offenders to counseling or whatever, they were simply transferred to other parishes where they could molest again. In criminal law, this is called aiding and abetting. Priests are supposed to be pillars of morality – they are certainly quick to make moral judgments about everybody else. For them to cover up these incidents is unconscionable.[/quote]

they will be judged justly by God. laters pk

[quote]pkradgreek wrote:
MikeShank wrote:

what is that all about?

The goal of any true Christian is to be able to leave all earthly passions behind, and this includes passions of the flesh. Priests are allowed to have sex if they are married. this means that they will not be allowed to become bishops or to move on up the ladder of command. laters pk[/quote]

Just a quick point of clarification. I think pk is referring to Eastern Rite Catholics/ Orthodox priests who can marry whereas Roman Catholic priests cannot.

What really bothered me about the child molesting was the fact that it was covered up by other priests. Instead of sending the offenders to counseling or whatever, they were simply transferred to other parishes where they could molest again. In criminal law, this is called aiding and abetting. Priests are supposed to be pillars of morality – they are certainly quick to make moral judgments about everybody else. For them to cover up these incidents is unconscionable.[/quote]

Agreed 100%. The only thing I can think of is when a lot of this was first coming to light in the 60’s, they believed that it was a condition that could be cured or avoided (not that it made shifting them around acceptable by any means). The other reason the Catholic Church has a problem in addressing this issue is the fact that everyone is capable of being forgiven and everyone has a shot at redemption. I think this works fine in the sense of the salvation of your soul, but it does not mean that certain actions/conditions (such as pedophilia) can be “cured”. That’s a fact that needs to be addressed and fast.

I still believe in Santa Claus!!!

Gregus, to further what you just said, there are also men who have the natural desire for sex, but suppress it. I know such a thing is difficult for people on this board to understand, but it is in fact possible for the mind to control the penis instead of the other way around.

My mind has always been in control. And I have NEVER molested a child and never will – this puts me one up on most priests.

If you look at my post, I spoke in terms of a “relationship,” not just wild monkey sex.

I do agree that there are a handful of priests truly committed to their calling. The majority, IMO, suffer psychological and emotional problems.[/quote]

Mike, I’m not saying no priests are guilty of this awful crime, quite the contrary, there are quite a few. That said, as Kez and others have said, the number is VERY low. You seem to make it sound like most priests are child molesters, when in reality very very very few are. I agree the Church handled the issue poorly though. My guess is the bishops and whatnot figured that if they privately rebuked a priest, and the priest confessed and asked forgiveness, that he could indeed be cured, and so could be moved to another parish. Of course, we now know this isn’t the case. Its been a bitter pill for the Church to swallow, and I hope they deal with the problem in an open and forthright manner in the future.

That said I don’t think celibacy has any particular relation to the molestation. I personally feel that in ANY profession where there is close contact with and a trust relationship with children and their parents, certain sickos are attracted to it because there is potential for these kinds of activities.