PrideFC

Pride FC was the first PPV Pride event I’ve ordered and will probably be my last. I am no expert in MMA, but I know what entertains me and what doesn’t. I found most of the fights boring. Three of them ended in decision, which to me is the ultimate in uninteresting. What the hell happened to Siliva, I thought he was supposed to be a big stud, he fought scared. For now on its UFC and only UFC.

That’s what I’m talking about. I didn’t even watch the PPV but when I saw that Fedor and CroCop went to decision all I thought was “BORING”. On the other hand, the last UFC ppv had some brutal KO’s and all of the fights were fun to watch.

I haven’t seen much mma untill recently and I know what you mean. It can be very interesting or completely boring. I think that’s why Chuck Liddel is so popular right now. He fights on his feet and likes to punch it out with some kicks mixed in. When guys are slowly wrestling to a guard or stalemate, or endlessly dancing around like a boxer from the 20’s feeling each other out it’s boring. It’s even kind of anticlimactic when a guy takes two minutes to slowly wrestle a guy into a choke or bending his arm till he taps out. Guys wearing tiny gloves knocking each other out hardcore and then punching a few more times when the guy is down for good measure howerver, is cool.

I have to disagree. I’ve watch the entire Pride Tournament this year (as well as a number of UFC events) and I would say that Pride has the best fighters. Probably the reason they go to Pride FC is because Pride FC pays more.

I admit that the Silva fight was not action backed, but I’d say that was because Arona couldn’t stand up with Silva and although Silva is not a ground fighter he has an excellent ground defense. I thought the referee should have stood them up.

As for the Fedor fight, it did go the distance but it was anything but boring. Fedor was just to much for Cro Cop to handle.

Also how could you think a card is boring with Shogun fighting two matches. That guy has to be the most entertaining fighter out there. Unlike Arona, Shogun never stops attacking while on the ground and if he can’t get a shot in, he stands up and tries a soccer kick to the head or he jumps on the competitor delivering a stomp/knee/or punch (you won’t see the soccer kicks in UFC because UFC won’t allow them).

Finally as for Silva losing, give the guy a break, it was the first loss in five years. Although I admit he hasn’t had an impressive run in the tournament. Maybe his reign is coming to an end. This may be a good time for the UFC to take Pride FC up on it’s offer of a Champion home-and-home series.

Sorry for the long post, but I just think if you only want knock-outs stick to thugs in Tough Guy contests or the Professionals in K1. If you want to watch MMA try to develop an appreciation for the styles of fighting.

i saw a pfc couple nights ago and chuck
liddel fought rampage, and he lost…
a lot of dancing in all the fights i watch and quite a few ecellent moves that resulted in knock outs and subs…

other than that it was verrry borring,
partly beacasue of time pfc 9 min and
ufc 5 min for the rounds. the pfc if i’m correct is asian based and much larger crowd and came about in 97 and ucf is american based and came a few yrs earlier than pfc and if it’s about
choices then i will choose ufc.just my
thooughts…

I did not see it, but this is what I notice (in general) from people who watch these things (Pride, UFC) who say it’s boring.

Can you see the battle for leverege that’s happening when on the ground? When in a tight grapple, can you see the momentum shifting attempts and the attempts to penetrate guard?

When I see a “boring” match, it is usually not boring because I see the above.

Not calling anyone wrong (as I said, I didn’t see it), but just sharing a general observation.

i appreciate a good choke hold or sumbmission (spelling) and can spot it
ok but if its complicated the i’ll wait
for the replay, and they’re interesting
take matt hugh welter weight fight i caught couple weeks ago againts a younger fella running his mouth quite
abit.

he caught matt in a choke hold
and was about to win and got out
of it put the other fella in a choke
hold and won. that was one of the amazing things i saw and he’s coaching
UF and became a fan last yr when the show started, so i still have a few
fights to watch on dvd and learn., well
i got to get ready for work talk latter. Barton

I would have to say that if you want to see knockouts watch boxing. The thing that seperates mma from other combat sports is the style of the combatants. Some have ground tactics, others don’t. But bottom line is you want to win. If it isn’t exciting enough…don’t watch because nothing anyone says trying to educate you regarding the sport is going to change your mind. Try checking out friday night fights on ESPN. They alway show some fancy karate kata action afterwords. You may find that entertaining.

This sounds like the original comments from early UFC fans. It’s totally cool to have your opinion, but I think at this point, most people know what they’re getting into when they watch.

Cro Cop/Fedor ROCKED.

How does Mirko even move with those tree trunks he calls “legs”?

Although I haven’t seen this Pride event, I feel they usually put on a pretty good show. Some have been better than others, but I can really only think of one show that I would call disappointing.

Something I have noticed is that after you watch a couple of them, you begin to select your favourite fighters. Watching two strangers fight is never going to be as interesting as watching a fighter you actually like punch the shit out of someone.

This is my problem with the UFC at the moment. I am a heavyweight and like to watch the heavyweight fights. however the field of heavies in the UFC is so thin that you watch two new fighters go for it everytime there is a show.

PS Fedor is STILL an unstoppable cyborg who cannot be killed.

one of the best events i’ve seen. the cro cop fedor fight was one of the best fights i have EVER seen. UFC is simply outclassed by pride. better fighters, better rules, better production. ufc is thoroughly second rate compared to pride.

I don’t really understand. I like boxing and boxing can have a lot of slow action and “boring parts” but they don’t seem boring to me for some reason while the mma do. Guess it’s just personal taste. I can say the first UFC I think, was pretty crazy. Not always competitive fighting, but guys got rocked hard and often and then some small guy, Gracie put them all in submissions because they were all one dementional.

[quote]Pretzel Logic wrote:
I don’t really understand. I like boxing and boxing can have a lot of slow action and “boring parts” but they don’t seem boring to me for some reason while the mma do. Guess it’s just personal taste. I can say the first UFC I think, was pretty crazy. Not always competitive fighting, but guys got rocked hard and often and then some small guy, Gracie put them all in submissions because they were all one dementional.[/quote]

Personally I find boxing fantastically boring. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I love MMA, love kickboxing, but can’t stand boxing.

The first Shamrock/Gracie fight is a classic. It set the precedent for all to follow.

Based on your other “one-dimentional” comment (which I agree with for the most part), it’s obvious why Ken was so pissed at the end of the match.

Cheers

[quote]Pretzel Logic wrote:
I can say the first UFC I think, was pretty crazy. Not always competitive fighting, but guys got rocked hard and often and then some small guy, Gracie put them all in submissions because they were all one dementional.[/quote]

[quote]David Barr wrote:
The first Shamrock/Gracie fight is a classic. It set the precedent for all to follow.
[/quote]

Agreed, if it wasn’t for that fight, there wouldn’t have been the subsequent UFC’s…and then no Pride or anything else.

[quote]bartonmlee wrote:
i saw a pfc couple nights ago and chuck
liddel fought rampage, and he lost…
a lot of dancing in all the fights i watch and quite a few ecellent moves that resulted in knock outs and subs…

other than that it was verrry borring,
partly beacasue of time pfc 9 min and
ufc 5 min for the rounds. the pfc if i’m correct is asian based and much larger crowd and came about in 97 and ucf is american based and came a few yrs earlier than pfc and if it’s about
choices then i will choose ufc.just my
thooughts…[/quote]

Dude, were you high or drunk off your ass when you posted? Feel free to use spell check or at least read your post before you submit it.

UFC is far more boring than Pride. Chuck is a good striker and all but he is no where near the best striker in the game.

That title belongs to Mirko Crocop overall and Silva in middle weight division.

The talent pool in Pride is very deep. People like Rampage(who already made a bitch out of chuck), Silva, Shogun, Arona, etc can all dominate the UFC as well as, if not better than Chuck does.

If you think pride is boring just watch a Gomi fight, or a Crocop fight.

And to say that particular event(FC) was boring, is disrespectful to the sport of MMA. It had clearly the greatest fighter of this era (if not all time) in Fedor complete his task of beating every big name Heavyweight of his time.

Reading some of these posts have made me very thankfull that pride and ufc have become ever increasingly popular throughout the years despite what some people are saying. Also i think i read someone saying pride is boring due to the longer round all i have to say to that is King of Pancrase Tournament 30 minute rounds now thats some fun stuff

[quote]samsmarts wrote:
If you think pride is boring just watch a Gomi[/quote]

Or Rio Chonan. Prides pool is so deep right now, especialy at light and welter. WIth Jens Pulver, Gomi, The Punk, ect. I’m supprised the UFC can find tallent to fill their ligher weight classes. Hughes is awsome, but his style is taylored for the cage.

La’
Redsol1

actually, I think that lots of UFC fighters made their game plan to work with the cage instead of a ring. For me, it’s the cage style that I like watching about the UFC; but for everything else, I’d refered PRIDE FC over the UFC any day.

Over here in Hong Kong, over 95% people I’ve asked like PrideFC better, too.