T Nation

Pride

Other than the last three fights, this PPV was pretty tame. Silva and Cro-Cop were good but Bennet tapping out Hunt was outstanding! My prediction is Silva and Cro-Cop final with Silva being victorious.

Silva knocking out Fujita was awesome, best moment of the night to me.

Nog/Verdum boring as I thought, but Nog looked good on his feet despite the fact that he didn’t really press the action.

I was shocked at how fast Barnett submitted Hunt. I thought it might end up that way, but didn’t expect it to come that quick.

Cro Cop looked very, very tired to me. I think if he comes in that out of shape for his next fight, no matter who it is, he will lose.

My pick is Silva to win it all. He is a beast.

[quote]SprinterOne wrote:
Silva knocking out Fujita was awesome, best moment of the night to me.

Nog/Verdum boring as I thought, but Nog looked good on his feet despite the fact that he didn’t really press the action.

I was shocked at how fast Barnett submitted Hunt. I thought it might end up that way, but didn’t expect it to come that quick.

Cro Cop looked very, very tired to me. I think if he comes in that out of shape for his next fight, no matter who it is, he will lose.

My pick is Silva to win it all. He is a beast.[/quote]

I agree, Cro-Cop looked way too tired. As an elected official he must not have much time for cardio.

[quote]SprinterOne wrote:

My pick is Silva to win it all. He is a beast.[/quote]

You’d pick Silva over Nogueira?

Silva-Fujita was definetely the fight of the night. I’m really hoping for Silva-CroCop II, that would be amazing. I’m pulling for Silva to win the whole thing, just because Fedor-Silva would be the most hyped fight ever. Cro Cop looked in bad shape, but even in bad shape he ruined a tough Yoshia who went the distance against Silva twice. Those low kicks were sick, perfect strategy on Mirko’s part. Shame on the ref for stalling on Yoshida’s behalf, if it was anyone else the fight would have been over after that uppercut.

As much as I’d like to see a Silva/Fedor match, I don’t think Silva will win the OWGP. Also, I don’t recall thinking Mirko was out of shape, I’ll have to check that out again. Maybe I was too impressed by his take-down defense which seems much improved and those devastating low-licks. Another Mirko/Fedor would be great, and a real possibility in my mind.

That referee was no good. Mirko had the right strategy. A judoka will not take a Mirko’s leg kicks.
Yoshida is old and too fat now. He should go back to 93kg.
I am happy for Nastula.
Everything else went as most people expected.
I rather see Silva-Barnett, Mirko-Nog, then a Silva-Mirko final.

i think barnett is a bad match up for silva if they meet in the final

[quote]elliot007 wrote:
i think barnett is a bad match up for silva if they meet in the final[/quote]

Unless Barnett is a fool and tried to stand with Silva, then it would be baaaaad for Barnett.

[quote]Bob A wrote:
As much as I’d like to see a Silva/Fedor match, I don’t think Silva will win the OWGP. Also, I don’t recall thinking Mirko was out of shape, I’ll have to check that out again. Maybe I was too impressed by his take-down defense which seems much improved and those devastating low-licks. Another Mirko/Fedor would be great, and a real possibility in my mind.[/quote]

You know, I watched it again and I don’t think Mirko was in as bad of shape as I thought. He always seems to breath out of his mouth a little, and I think his face was red because of the Gi rubbing against it. He also backed off at the end because he knew the fight was over, I think he didn’t want to risk anything. The only thing that looked odd was when he got down into Yoshida’s gaurd and chilled there staring at Yosh, minus one or two punches. I’m not really sure what that was about.

Usually Mirko won’t fall into someone’s gaurd like that I was wondering, he usually lets them get back up.

Silva/Fedor would be so insane I don’t think I could handle it. I’m also looking forward to the Mirko/Silva fight if it happens.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
Bob A wrote:
As much as I’d like to see a Silva/Fedor match, I don’t think Silva will win the OWGP. Also, I don’t recall thinking Mirko was out of shape, I’ll have to check that out again. Maybe I was too impressed by his take-down defense which seems much improved and those devastating low-licks. Another Mirko/Fedor would be great, and a real possibility in my mind.

You know, I watched it again and I don’t think Mirko was in as bad of shape as I thought. He always seems to breath out of his mouth a little, and I think his face was red because of the Gi rubbing against it. He also backed off at the end because he knew the fight was over, I think he didn’t want to risk anything. The only thing that looked odd was when he got down into Yoshida’s gaurd and chilled there staring at Yosh, minus one or two punches. I’m not really sure what that was about.[/quote]

In a post-event interview Mirko stated that he went to the ground because some people have been saying that he is afraid to go there (or something to that effect). So I guess he wanted to show that he could go to the ground, not get submitted, get back up and kick ass!

[quote]slimjim wrote:
elliot007 wrote:
i think barnett is a bad match up for silva if they meet in the final

Unless Barnett is a fool and tried to stand with Silva, then it would be baaaaad for Barnett.[/quote]

I don’t think he is a fool. Take his fight with Hunt. He thought he could win the stand-up but was smart enough to take a fight to where he has the advantage. I think Barnett will fight smart with Silvia too and will likely simply overpower him. But Silvia IS bad ass, so who knows.