T Nation

Pride OWGP 2nd Round

Pride president Sakakibara denies Yakuza link, and states he is surprised.
2nd round of Owgp
Silva-Fujita
Werdum-Nogueira
Hunt-Barnett
Yoshida-Crocop
Basically the matches voted for by the Japanese public.
Crocop publicly supports Pride.

I’m happy with this card. I had been hoping for Fujita vs. Hunt but Fujita/Silva works just as well. Any word on what will happen with TV deals, PPVs and so forth?

Huh? Publicly supports Pride? What exactly do you mean? Isn’t fighting in their organisation publicly supporting them?

No, Crocop made a statement.
It would have been wiser of Crocop to say nothing and wait, I think.
No mention of tv deals.

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:
Huh? Publicly supports Pride? What exactly do you mean? Isn’t fighting in their organisation publicly supporting them?[/quote]

It was in relation to FujiTV dropping Pride from their programming, and hence cutting off fans from free fights on TV. Cro Cop said that FujiTV would greatly regret their decision and he fully supports Pride.

[quote]otoko wrote:

2nd round of Owgp
Silva-Fujita
Werdum-Nogueira
Hunt-Barnett
Yoshida-Crocop

[/quote]

I’ll take Silva, Nog, Barnett, and CroCop. I’m really pulling for Hunt though. Hopefully he comes in shape like he did against Mirko and shuts Barnett’s mouth with a big right hand. If Josh is dumb he’ll try to trade (like he always does), and give Hunt a chance to connect with a big one. Hunt’s sprawl looked pretty good in his last fight, but if Josh gets him down he won’t be able to power out of the subs like he did against the much smaller TK.

I’m excited to see how Silva fares. I think his defense is better than Fujita’s offense, but does Silva have the power to defeat that remarkable chin?

I see him going on by decision.

Even in his MMA fights, Hunt seems to gas and rely on his chin to get him to the end of the fight. He’s a smart fighter though and I hope he’s been training takedown defense.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
otoko wrote:

2nd round of Owgp
Silva-Fujita
Werdum-Nogueira
Hunt-Barnett
Yoshida-Crocop

I’ll take Silva, Nog, Barnett, and CroCop. I’m really pulling for Hunt though. Hopefully he comes in shape like he did against Mirko and shuts Barnett’s mouth with a big right hand. If Josh is dumb he’ll try to trade (like he always does), and give Hunt a chance to connect with a big one. Hunt’s sprawl looked pretty good in his last fight, but if Josh gets him down he won’t be able to power out of the subs like he did against the much smaller TK.[/quote]

Yeah, Hunt could be in danger of getting exposed if he does not manage to keep it standing. I do love him for his standup and ability to take a punch, but damned if he won’t be fucked if it goes to the ground.

Looking forward to this. As much as I wanted to see Fedor in it, I was excited when I heard Silva was taking his place.

My picks:

Silva in a decision.
Nog by submission
Barnett in a decision (I just think he will outlast Hunt, though I would love to see Hunt knock him out)
Cro Cop by TKO

hooray! We can watch it!!!

http://completevaletudoaccess.blogspot.com/

Whew that’s good to know! I wonder if the quality of the PPVs will go down at all since the Fuji TV move.

The whole card has been finalized. Here it is, and since I’m bored at work you also get my thought and “sure” bets :slight_smile:

3R 10M/5M/5M
Yoshihiro Nakao (Freelance) vs. Lee Eun Su (CMA Korea)

-Nakao will be forever known as “that guy” who got KTFO when he kissed Heath Herring on the NYE K-1 show. He said he wants a “pretty fighter” in the pre-fight interview. I don’t know how pretty he is, but Lee Eun Su has been out of the MMA business for 2 years and has only fought in some South Korean events where he was pretty good. Nakao takes it easily. Hopefully he does something dumb like play grabass to make it entertaining.

3R 10M/5M/5M
Pawel Nastula (Takada Dojo) vs. Edson Drago (Team Minotauro)

-I like Nasty, he’s a great judoka and has a supreme chance to win if it goes to the ground. After losing to Nog and Alex E this is his best shot at a W. But Drago is a fucking animal in vale tudo, trains with BTT, and has almost killed his last few opponents. I’m pumped for his debut, one of two great Brazilian debuts on the card. Drago by KTFO.

3R 10M/5M/5M
Vitor Belfort (Freelance) vs. Yoshiki Takahashi (PANCRASEism)

-Vitor had one fight left on his Pride contract, so they’re giving him his best chance for a win in years. I lost interest in Vitor a long time ago, so this fight doesn’t do anything for me. The old Vitor is never coming back folks. Vitor by boring decision.

3R 10M/5M/5M
Kazuhiro Nakamura (Yoshida Dojo) vs. Evangelista “Cyborg” Santos (Chute Boxe)

-The third Brazil vs Japan on the card. Awesome match up, Cyborg makes his big time debut. If you haven’t seen him fight, he makes Silva look relaxed and tame. Nakamura has experience on his side and is always getting better, so I have to take Nakamura by sub after Cyborg gasses.

3R 10M/5M/5M
Alistair Overeem (Golden Glory) vs. Antonio Rogero Nogueira (Brazilian Top Team)

-Obviously Pride wants a title fight between lil’ Nog and Silva. This match to set it up, however, doesn’t really excite me. Nog should win easily like he did last February. Keep in mind Overeem fought just two weeks ago and came back down to 205 from HW. Lil’ Nog vs Vitor would be cooler, but what the fuck has Vitor done to deserve a title opportunity? Lil’ Nog by decision.

The tournament fights make this card amazing, given the mediocre undercard:

2006 PRIDE Openweight Grand Prix Quarterfinal Match
Open, 3R 10M/5M/5M
Fabricio Werdum (Cro Cop Squad Gym) vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (Brazilian Top Team)

-I’m predicting this will be a stand up war. I think both will be too leary of being bested by the other’s BJJ skills and will have a boxing war with Werdum throwing some crazy kicks and knees and Nog using his boxing. Could be a snooze fest with lots of mat work and weak GnP though. Nog wins a decision by virtue of top notch boxing.

2006 PRIDE Openweight Grand Prix Quarterfinal Match
Open, 3R 10M/5M/5M
Mark Hunt (Oceania Super Fighters’ Club) vs. Josh Barnett (AMC Pankration)

-Will Hunt show up in shape? The most recent pictures of Barnett show him looking jacked, juicing, and strong. He’s training with Tito so his cardio should be good. If he tries to trade with Hunt, and if Hunt comes in at 260 like he did against Mirko, Barnett might get knocked out or too dazed to stick to his gameplan. Knees and kicks to the head will work for Mark too, maybe we’ll get to see another aerial display like his double knee drop or atomic ass bomb:) I’m going to have to put money on Barnett by sub in the second, however. It will probably pan out much like Josh B vs Alex E. But my heart is cheering for Hunt, he’s entertaing as hell and his mannerisms in the ring are hilarious.

2006 PRIDE Openweight Grand Prix Quarterfinal Match
Open, 3R 10M/5M/5M
Wanderlei Silva (Chute Boxe) vs. Kazuyuki Fujita (Freelance)

-Props to Silva for being a warrior and even entering the tournament. He says he’s weighing about 216-217 right now and will probably fight at that weight. Fujita is a tank, but he looked pretty rusty against James Thompson. Silva uses his speed and smarts and stays outside to win a decision, assuming there are no Fujita-induced heart attacks. Here’s a good question: Will Silva permit knees and kicks to the head?

2006 PRIDE Openweight Grand Prix Quarterfinal Match
Open, 3R 10M/5M/5M
Mirko Filipovic (Cro Cop Squad Gym) vs. Hidehiko Yoshida (Yoshida Dojo)

-Mirko looks to be getting the easiest road to the finals. Yoshida has a hard ass melon and is wicked dangerous on the ground. As we saw in Fedor vs Cro Cop, Mirko doesn’t dig the judo throws. But I honestly don’t see Cro Cop losing, bar doing something stupid or getting careless like he did against Randleman and Nog in the past. Cro Cop by LHK (T)KO.

Your analysis is good. I basically agree. I would like to see Nastula win a fight. They keep giving him tough opponents. Give Nastula, Nakamura(not that he isn’t tough, I think Nastula could beat him though). Give Cyborg, Drago.
I can’t decide on the Barnett-Hunt fight. My mind says Barnett should win. I just like Hunt though. There will be alot of jiggling in that fight. Hunt weighed 130 kg his last fight. Even though he gets tired, as long as he is on his feet he keeps coming. If Barnett gets him down Hunt will be in serious trouble. Hunt does surprise me with his natural ability to grapple.

[quote]otoko wrote:
Your analysis is good. I basically agree. I would like to see Nastula win a fight. They keep giving him tough opponents. Give Nastula, Nakamura(not that he isn’t tough, I think Nastula could beat him though). Give Cyborg, Drago.
I can’t decide on the Barnett-Hunt fight. My mind says Barnett should win. I just like Hunt though. There will be alot of jiggling in that fight. Hunt weighed 130 kg his last fight. Even though he gets tired, as long as he is on his feet he keeps coming. If Barnett gets him down Hunt will be in serious trouble. Hunt does surprise me with his natural ability to grapple.[/quote]

Yea, Hunt never seems to totally gas out. His hands get lower as he tires and he starts blocking more punches with his face, but with his chin it works out for him. I really want to see the rubber match between Mirko and Hunt, too. Mirko vs Barnett again isn’t that desirable to me.

I think if Cro Cop can keep it standing, or at least not get on his back, he will win easily. Similar to his fight against Nog, I think he can dominate this fight on his feet and is in big trouble if it goes to the ground.

As for Hunt, I am rooting for him also but agree his conditioning will be the big question mark. Barnett looked good against Alex and if he has improved on that Hunt will have to be in better shape then he was.

I am really excited that Silva is in the tournament, though it sucks that it is at the expense of Fedor. (On a side note, I read that the winner of this tournament will fight Fedor, is that true?) In any case, I think Silva wins this fight.

As for the Nog fight, I am pretty sure this will be my nap time. :slight_smile:

Yeah Cropcop should avoid going to the ground with Yoshida. Yoshida really uses his dogi to his advantage. Too much friction.
Nog-Werdum could look like a adcc match. Nog’s stand-up has gotten much better. More fluid. Werdum isn’t as polished standing yet.
I hope Silva doesn’t break his hand on Fujita’s head. He will really have some chances to land some huge shots on Fujita I think.

WARNING: SPOILERS BELOW THIS POINT!!!

Watched it last night, it was pretty entertaining. My predictions played out except I called Drago over Nastula. Luckily, when I bet I saw Nasty was +275 so I jumped all over that, and made myself a good chunk of change. Hunt-Barnett was the only real disappointment of the night. I felt that Barnett would win on the ground, but anticipated a prolonged stand up battle like Barnett against Aleksander.

Hunt looked like he didn’t give a shit. It was obvious that he was there for a payday. If he got a chance to brawl he’d take it, if not he was taking his paycheck to the bar. I don’t think we’ll ever see Mark considered as a title contender again. Barnett, however, is easily the number 4 HW in the world in my book right now. He looks in the shape of his life, and so far he’s been able to execute his gameplan to perfection. I’d have to put him with Fedor and Big Nog as the most well rounded HW’s.

Cro Cop looked lazy and sluggish, but I think it was because he knew he had Yoshida’s number. You’d think Yosh would know how to check a leg kick after 40 minutes of fight time with Silva. But damn, that was devastating. It made my knee hurt real bad just watching it. Also, I know Yosh is a heavy crowd favorite, but I counted 20 seconds that the ref had Mirko stand back and allow Yosh to get up after that uppercut. That was a little much. Even at the end Mirko was looking at the ref like “what the fuck do you want me to stomp his face?” while he gave Yosh 15 seconds on the ground to recover before calling it.

Silva looked awesome. Without the pressure to win he showed the fire of his old self, and also showed some great ground game with two very close attempts at the arm bar.

Werdum put up a great fight. He has a big future in Pride, and gave Nog a hell of a fight. Kudos to Nog on holding up Werdums t-shirt at the end, very classy.

Next round I want to see, and expect to see (Mirko said on his website this was what he was told was most probable):

Mirko-Silva
Barnett-Nog

Mirko and Silva is too close to call in my book, but I expect Nog to beat Barnett to a decision. Nog does everything Barnett does, but does it a little better, and is a lot quicker.

You can vote for the Pride match-ups at this website:

http://www.prideofficial.com/free/special/gp2006/finalround.html

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
WARNING: SPOILERS BELOW THIS POINT!!!

Watched it last night, it was pretty entertaining. My predictions played out except I called Drago over Nastula. Luckily, when I bet I saw Nasty was +275 so I jumped all over that, and made myself a good chunk of change. Hunt-Barnett was the only real disappointment of the night. I felt that Barnett would win on the ground, but anticipated a prolonged stand up battle like Barnett against Aleksander.

Hunt looked like he didn’t give a shit. It was obvious that he was there for a payday. If he got a chance to brawl he’d take it, if not he was taking his paycheck to the bar. I don’t think we’ll ever see Mark considered as a title contender again. Barnett, however, is easily the number 4 HW in the world in my book right now. He looks in the shape of his life, and so far he’s been able to execute his gameplan to perfection. I’d have to put him with Fedor and Big Nog as the most well rounded HW’s.

Cro Cop looked lazy and sluggish, but I think it was because he knew he had Yoshida’s number. You’d think Yosh would know how to check a leg kick after 40 minutes of fight time with Silva. But damn, that was devastating. It made my knee hurt real bad just watching it. Also, I know Yosh is a heavy crowd favorite, but I counted 20 seconds that the ref had Mirko stand back and allow Yosh to get up after that uppercut. That was a little much. Even at the end Mirko was looking at the ref like “what the fuck do you want me to stomp his face?” while he gave Yosh 15 seconds on the ground to recover before calling it.

Silva looked awesome. Without the pressure to win he showed the fire of his old self, and also showed some great ground game with two very close attempts at the arm bar.

Werdum put up a great fight. He has a big future in Pride, and gave Nog a hell of a fight. Kudos to Nog on holding up Werdums t-shirt at the end, very classy.

Next round I want to see, and expect to see (Mirko said on his website this was what he was told was most probable):

Mirko-Silva
Barnett-Nog

Mirko and Silva is too close to call in my book, but I expect Nog to beat Barnett to a decision. Nog does everything Barnett does, but does it a little better, and is a lot quicker.

You can vote for the Pride match-ups at this website:

http://www.prideofficial.com/free/special/gp2006/finalround.html [/quote]

I agree with your analysis on everything. I would rather see Silva and Mirko fight in the finals, but I don’t think Mirko could beat any of the remaining 3 if he fights like he did last night. He looked tired after about 3 minutes. And Silva looked awesome, I could easily see him winning this whole thing.

[quote]SprinterOne wrote:

I agree with your analysis on everything. I would rather see Silva and Mirko fight in the finals, but I don’t think Mirko could beat any of the remaining 3 if he fights like he did last night. He looked tired after about 3 minutes. And Silva looked awesome, I could easily see him winning this whole thing.[/quote]

If Silva won this whole thing, he would instantly go from legend to God of All Fighters. Barnett is the only one I wouldn’t give Silva a good shot against, just because Barnett is so much bigger. If Mirko comes in with shit cardio next time and Silva fights him, and would honestly lean towards the Axe Murderer. Silva vs Nog? That would be insane.

I’ve been pulling for Silva since it was announced that Fedor would not be competeing.