Pride: Hunt vs Silva - Stomping?

[quote]Sonny S wrote:
A hint on downloading pride fights

Go to Google

type in the name of a fighter + “rapidshare” or “megaupload”

if you have a hard time finding a fight, go to megadownload.net which is a site that seraches rapidshare and MU for you

Props to T-Nation which taught me this method

My recommended fights, some of which have been listed:

Sapp vs Nogueira - Nogueira is the toughest man alive as Sapp does things to him that should be i

Frye vs Takayama - insane brawl

[/quote]

Much appreciated Sonny.

Am i the only one who thinks the old Cro Cop vs Sapp fight was a tad bit comical?

[quote]Shire wrote:
Sonny S wrote:

Go to Google

if you have a hard time finding a fight, go to megadownload.net which is a site that seraches rapidshare and MU for you

Sapp vs Nogueira - Nogueira is the toughest man alive as Sapp does things to him that should be i

Much appreciated Sonny.

Am i the only one who thinks the old Cro Cop vs Sapp fight was a tad bit comical?

[/quote]

Yes, if a fractured eye socket is comical.

What I was going to say about Sapp-Nog is that Sapp performs actual pro wrestling moves on him, stuff that should be illegal - but its fun as hell to watch!

[quote]Sonny S wrote:

Shire wrote:
Sonny S wrote:

Go to Google

Much appreciated Sonny.

Yes, if a fractured eye socket is comical.

[/quote]

Don’t over react.

Come on this huge hulk of a guy chasing after Cro Cop-making CC look tiny in comparison to him is funny to me.

Ah, Pride!

So many great fights, mostly the heavies, however.

Donut has it right: [quote]
I liked knees to a downed opponent, but the stomps and soccer kicks got a little scary. If Hunt would have landed that things would have been bad.

My ideal rule set would be in the cage with elbows and knees to a downed opponent. No soccer kicks or stomps. The only time people really got soccer kicked or stomped was when they were in a lot of trouble to begin with and finishing with a weapon like that was unnecessarily dangerous to the fighters.[/quote]

Soccer kicks should be illegal. There were probably only a handful of bouts where a well placed SK made the difference between two equally good fighters.
Other then that, they usually don’t improve position or control in fresh fighters but have a tremendous risk for injuring seriously.
Also, and that might be an unvalid argument for some fans here, they shine a bad light on MMA. Every idiot can kick a downed opponent and now they can feel like “UFC Fighers” while doing it. You might know nothing of boxing, kicking, takedowns, subs, even knees are vastly more technical. But everybody can kick the shit out of an already fatigued and downed opponent.(Sidenote: in the German Hooligan scene, kicking a guy who’s down was a honourable and fair move, as opposed to using weapons or jumping)

I’m OK with banning headbutts & SK. Ellbows and knees to the body exclusively if on the ground.

On more classic Pride fight:
Does anyone remember Saku vs Vernon White -Submission fest! The moment where a puzzled Vernon was atop the back of Sakuraba, was drumming absentmindedly, thinking how to get the bastich to tap! And when the japanese decided to pop his head out of the turtle, Vernon whacked him lazily, like “hey, we’re not through here, yet!”.

[quote]
Like when Cro Cop kept punching Aleksander in the neck after his LHK? I kept thinking “damn ref, you can step in anytime now.”[/quote]

Or have you seen Punk Minowa vs Baroni? It gets toa point when your like, is the ref sleeping?

Since this has turned into a “Favorite Pride Fights” thread I thought I’d throw out a few:

Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Carlos Newton:

This is Gappling 101. One of the best ground fights ever, in my (and many others) opinion.

“Shogun” Rua vs. Rogério Nogueira:

An all out war in the Middleweight GP. While I actually give it to Nogueira, it could go either way. Non-stop action, great standup, brutal ground and pound, submission attempts: this is what MMA is all about! Easily one of the top ten MMA fights ever.

Fedor Emelianenko vs. Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipović:

Not the most exciting fight ever, but the sheer drama and intruige of the personalities/skillsets makes this Pride’s biggest fight ever. It’s also a complete physical and mental war. One of the most important fights ever.

Fedor Emelianenko vs. Rodrigo Nogueira I:

Ground and pound 101. Pencils and notebooks out.

As to the main topic, Soccer kicks and the like SHOULD be legal.

I think that, besides attacks to the groin, fishooks, biting, ect. that EVERYTHING should be legal.

“But…but…anyone can soccer kick!”

True.

Anyone can soccer kick. However not everyone can soccer kick skillfully. Anyone can throw a punch too…doesn’t mean we should ban them.

Then, why no fishhooks or biting?
After all, not everyone can do them skillfully.

Start biting, thats how you loose body parts like ears and noses… Or if you bite someone, fish hooking you… Permanent damage isnt that fun to watch…

Which can be also said of soccer kicks.

Every single punch could kill you. Small joint manipulation can break your digits, just like a kneebar can cripple you.

The reasoning for banning certain techniques is therfore largely arbitrary.
But why are soccer kicks different now?

If my friend gets into a fistfight I might help him nor not, depending on the circumstances. But even if he started the tussle, if the other one starts to soccer kick him, as he crawls on the floor, I’m gonna try to break his leg.

Most human beings finds kicking a prone individual disgusting. It’s the modus operandi of low lifes we sometimes see in the news these days, a la “two youngsters beat up an 70year old retiree in the subway”.

Beating someone’s face with your fist can mean “fuck you”.
Kicking someone’s face in who’s on the pavement means “I’ll kill you”.
A declaration of war that has zero to do in the ring.

That’s why I find your avatar extremely irritating.
We get it. You’re badass.
You can change your avatar back to something with tits now.

actually i intend on bringing back the “Check your oil” move.

I’m makin everyone tap with my “THREE in the stink” strategy

Damn, good Pride FC fights? Where to start? Some recommendations that haven’t already been made:

Fedor vs Fujita
Fedor vs Coleman
Fedor vs Randleman
Fedor vs Herring
Fedor vs anybody but Sem Schilt, basically

Wanderlei vs Henderson I
Wanderlei vs Mezger

Crocop vs Vovchanchyn
Crocop vs Wanderlei II (Crocop at his absolute best… Sob… What’s happened to him!!!)
Crocop vs Barnett III

Nogueira vs Barnett I/II
Nogueira vs Crocop
Nogueira vs Inoue

Vovchanchyn vs Inoue (For those with solid stomachs)

Arona vs Ninja (You’d get a cardio workout just watching the fight)
Arona vs Henderson

And many many more!

Some good competitive fights, some one-sided beatdowns in the mix. If you want a classic example of Pride referee negligence, watch Thompson vs Yoshida. Referee actually dragged an almost senseless Yoshida to the centre of the ring for a restart.

What do you guys thinks of this? Its pretty much brawling but they’ve kind of sold it as the UK version of EliteXC.

Personally if i met Grove in a dark alley (bigger of the two) i would probably run. That mofo just swings blindly and the only way i can see taking someone of that size out without a weapon is to be spot on with striking.

Which i’m FAR away from right now.

EDIT: But on the other hand look at this -

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:
Then, why no fishhooks or biting?
After all, not everyone can do them skillfully.[/quote]

Once someone takes a one or two soccer kicks to the face, the referee will stop the fight. The canvas they fight on is not concrete.

Fishooks will disfigure and fuck you up for life.

I always liked Matsui’s “smash Pele’s head into the mat” move. I’m not sure how effective it was, but I about pissed myself laughing when he did that.