Preventing Scrapes with Atlas Stones

Lifting gloves and straps are pretty commonplace, does anyone know of equipment that can be used to protect the forearms (besides the obvious like a long sleeve shirt) from excessive scraping? I’ve got some pretty bad cuts on my arms from doing medley this weekend and get funny looks from people when they see my arms.

Stone Sleeves (google it). I’ve never used them, but there are some here who have.

I took a quick look. It seems like there is a lot of variability on the market. I saw a pair for as cheap as $30 and as expensive as $150.

Stones sleeves are popular, as is just using some duct tape/athletic tape/wrap/whatahaveyou.

As a cautionary tale, if you go with sleeves, make sure they are on TIGHT. I got some, only used them once in a contest, and didn’t have them on tight enough. The stone grabbed the sleeves and ripped them right off my forearms, which meant that now I had ZERO tacky to play with. Made things suck. Some folks use zip ties to combat this, and some of the higher brand sleeves use Velcro as well.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
Stones sleeves are popular, as is just using some duct tape/athletic tape/wrap/whatahaveyou.

As a cautionary tale, if you go with sleeves, make sure they are on TIGHT. I got some, only used them once in a contest, and didn’t have them on tight enough. The stone grabbed the sleeves and ripped them right off my forearms, which meant that now I had ZERO tacky to play with. Made things suck. Some folks use zip ties to combat this, and some of the higher brand sleeves use Velcro as well.[/quote]

Yeah, I’ve seen it happen first hand, it’s nasty.

As for OP, either shave your arms and use duct/gorilla tape, or put a layer of medical tape followed by heavier tape. I personally choose to go bare skin because I cba to tape knowing it will fall off due to sweat in the humid climate I live in.

[quote]strongmanvinny wrote:

Yeah, I’ve seen it happen first hand, it’s nasty.

As for OP, either shave your arms and use duct/gorilla tape, or put a layer of medical tape followed by heavier tape. I personally choose to go bare skin because I cba to tape knowing it will fall off due to sweat in the humid climate I live in. [/quote]

Yeah, after getting burned by the sleeves once, I’m really hesitant to put anything between me and the stone aside from tacky. I have the same concern you do about tape.

Don’t be afraid to wipe the stone(s) off before your turn. Grit and gravel gets stuck in the tacky on the stone, and it’s the little rocks that get caught between your forearms and the stone, then slide around and cut you up.

If you go last, which is awesome, there is usually all kinds of junk stuck to the stones, which is not awesome.

For stone sleeves I would check out Spartan Sleeves, they have been around for a while and I have heard only good things about them. They also have both velcro (easy on-off, good for lighter stones) and lace-up options.

If you do not do enough stone training to justify the investment then you could just use duct tape or athletic tape to protect your forearms.