Pretty New To Working Out

I don’t exactly have a certain subject to discuss, I’m just generally curious.
I’m about 5’10, 150. I’ve been working out for about a year now, but I’m still pretty clueless. I’ve put on some muscle, but not very much, which I’m sure can be attributed to a poor routine and bad nutrition. Which is why I’m here.

I want to put on muscle. I’m not looking to be a bodybuilder or anything, I just want to have more muscle, I want to be bigger. I’ve been reading a lot, and I know that it might involve gaining some fat, which I’m ok with, I just don’t know how to train and what to eat so that I can have larger, more defined muscles.

I know I may sound like an inexperienced fool…but I am. That’s why I’m here, because I want to have a clue about what I’m doing.
Any tips/links/detailed advice would be much appreciated.

if you have been reading around the website and know that you might gain fat with bulking you should have a general idea of how to eat and train… both are usually in the same posts that talk about gaining fat

Get youself to a bookstore an buy Scrawny to Brawny.

It is full of exercise and nutrition information designed specifically for skinny guys who have worked out a bit but have had trouble adding muscle.

The “New to T-Nation” post is there for a reason. Read it. Love it. Love the great people who wrote it.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=817951

It has almost everything you need to know to start out and build a base of knowledge for future body experimentation.

To answer your questions more directly, as a newbie, to most efficiently build muscle, it is probably best to:

1. Eat. A Lot. There are no specific “miracle foods” you can eat, since it’s your diet as a whole that will make the biggest difference. Make sure to get plenty of protein (that means meat, and lots of it), and good amounts of carbs and fats to fuel yourself. And eat lots of veggies. Read the articles I linked to above for more specific nutrition information.

2. Stick with the big lifts (deadlift, squat, bench, row, etc.), especially since you’re a beginner. These will help you the most. Again, check the articles I linked to above for some good programs. Since you’re new, almost anything will work for you. Find a program that one of the authors has written that you think you’d like to do, and do it.

Good luck.