T Nation

Pretend Bar Fight

Thought I’d share a few pics from the street clothes seminar we did last weekend at a local bar just off 6th street.

In the pic where the girl is rising off the guy on the bar floor you can see a blonde girl sneaking up behind to smack her with a pad. That was a fun drill - but the floor was FILTHY and sticky. It was the first time I’d done ground techniques on concrete & it was really painful.

The picture of the guy talking before we did chokes in the alley behind the bar is included because that’s me in the background. It’s the only one of me, except for crowd shots…you know…pics or it didn’t happen…

alley

Can’t see it but she’s wearing wobbly stiletto heels.

Very cool! And that stuff could really come in handy on 6th St.

damn that’s cool as shit.

<— mad jealous

Parker! That’s awesome!

I wish your class was in NJ.

That is a cool thing you did. Not practical though, in a bar fight stay off the ground.

[quote]Miss Parker wrote:
Thought I’d share a few pics from the street clothes seminar we did last weekend at a local bar just off 6th street.

In the pic where the girl is rising off the guy on the bar floor you can see a blonde girl sneaking up behind to smack her with a pad. That was a fun drill - but the floor was FILTHY and sticky. It was the first time I’d done ground techniques on concrete & it was really painful.

The picture of the guy talking before we did chokes in the alley behind the bar is included because that’s me in the background. It’s the only one of me, except for crowd shots…you know…pics or it didn’t happen…[/quote]

that’s awesome!

[quote]Syalowicki wrote:
That is a cool thing you did. Not practical though, in a bar fight stay off the ground. [/quote]

really? like, nobody here could figure that out! so i suppose you shouldn’t train how to fight off your back then either, huh?? 'cuz that would be completely unreasonable in a self defense setting?!!?

[quote]Syalowicki wrote:
That is a cool thing you did. Not practical though, in a bar fight stay off the ground. [/quote]

I think everyone knows that… she’s practicing for worst case scenarios.

Thanks, guys! Its true, I train at a fun school. When the video of this seminar is completed I’ll post it. We do lots of fun stuff like this. A long-gun seminar is coming up, and of course Rory Miller, the author of Meditations on Violence is coming to do a seminar with us in April. I’ll let you know before Rory comes in case anyone wants to join us. It’s happening thanks to FightingIrish. If he hadn’t pestered me to death I wouln’t have read the book in the first place. :slight_smile:

It was the first time I’d done ground techniques on concrete & it was really painful.
[/quote]

Huge difference from training on a nice matted floor isn’t it?

Every year at the iCAT conference Shihan Lysak takes us out onto the pavement to do some groundfighting skills, discusses the differences that the terrain can play, goes over adjustments that should be made for different terrains, and of course points out the obviousness that a lot of the moves found in sport JJ, wrestling, or MMA would just be plain stupid to try on pavement.

He’s been exposing people to the difference between reality ground fighting and sport grappling/ground fighting for over 20 years and has said that everyone who he’s ever taken out and had grapple on pavement (which includes everyone from Gracie black belts, state and even olympic champion wrestlers, to rank beginners) has suddenly become extremely conservative grapplers and stuck with only very simple and basic skills (he’s never, ever seen someone attempt a flying triangle, or rolling knee bar for example).

Good to hear that you guys are actually going out and exposing yourself/your students to different environments/terrains. After all, what’s the likelihood that you or one of your students is going to get attacked on a matted surface? :wink:

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

It was the first time I’d done ground techniques on concrete & it was really painful.
[/quote]

Every year at the iCAT conference Shihan Lysak takes us out onto the pavement to do some groundfighting skills, discusses the differences that the terrain can play, goes over adjustments that should be made for different terrains, and of course points out the obviousness that a lot of the moves found in sport JJ, wrestling, or MMA would just be plain stupid to try on pavement.

He’s been exposing people to the difference between reality ground fighting and sport grappling/ground fighting for over 20 years and has said that everyone who he’s ever taken out and had grapple on pavement (which includes everyone from Gracie black belts, state and even olympic champion wrestlers, to rank beginners) has suddenly become extremely conservative grapplers and stuck with only very simple and basic skills (he’s never, ever seen someone attempt a flying triangle, or rolling knee bar for example).

Good to hear that you guys are actually going out and exposing yourself/your students to different environments/terrains. After all, what’s the likelihood that you or one of your students is going to get attacked on a matted surface? :wink: [/quote]

I love that Shihan Lysak does that. I’ve never heard of him. I will google him today.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

[/quote]

Good to hear that you guys are actually going out and exposing yourself/your students to different environments/terrains. After all, what’s the likelihood that you or one of your students is going to get attacked on a matted surface? :wink: [/quote]

I love that Shihan Lysak does that. I’ve never heard of him. I will google him today.[/quote]

Google Walt Lysak Jr.

I’ll let you know before Rory comes in case anyone wants to join us. It’s happening thanks to FightingIrish. If he hadn’t pestered me to death I wouln’t have read the book in the first place. :slight_smile:

[/quote]

Damn right woman! :wink:

A long-gun seminar is coming up
[/quote]

defense against a long gun? or carrying a long gun and having no room to shoot/no time to shoot?

I haven’t talked to Heath about it yet, but I’m sure it’ll be defense against long gun. We’re always doing Defense Against Something. Though he has made me hit someone with the barrel of the gun before to create space before I trained the gun on them, so it may be other stuff, too…

Ok, I looked & Jeff wrote about it here: www.fitandfearless.com/krav_cmty/