T Nation

Presumed Consent to Organ Donation

So I was discussing this with my friend last night.

In Belgium they presume consent to use your organs for donation unless you say otherwise.

What are your thoughts on this? Would you want this?

Would you say the natural default position is not being an organ donor?

I think it’s a tad greedy to hog your organs after you’re dead.

I’ve been a registered organ donor since I was 17…so I am probably biased, but…

I think, providing the Belgian Government/health service is good at making everyone aware of this basic fact, I don’t have a problem with it. Statistically speaking, few people are registered donors, the more the merrier!

The only issue I can see with this is kids, ie, kid is adamant he/she doesn’t want their organs donated post-death & they aren’t yet aware of the ‘presumed consent’.

If you’re not willing to donate your organs, then you shouldn’t be allowed on an organ waiting list if you need one, especially when they’re in such short supply imo.

I watched a friend die for want of a kidney transplant, so perhaps I’m little biased here.

You guys ever seen this?

This doctor at Wake Forest University, IIRC, has started 3D printing of organs. He has a kid who he did a bladder for. I think more complex organs that secrete hormones, and aren’t simply “vessels”, so-to-speak, are proving to be more difficult to create, but that’s just something I extrapolated from the video. Really cool stuff though.

I myself am a registered organ donor. I have no problem with helping others to live after I leave this world. I would have a problem if my body was used to study something in a medical university, or anything of that nature. Therefore based on the initial presentation of this law, I have no problem.

On a tangent of the topic, how many of these diseases would be one hundred percent curable with adult stem cell therapy? The need for organ transplants would then plummet and these shortages simply wouldn’t exist.

[quote]MattyG35 wrote:
You guys ever seen this?

This doctor at Wake Forest University, IIRC, has started 3D printing of organs. He has a kid who he did a bladder for. I think more complex organs that secrete hormones, and aren’t simply “vessels”, so-to-speak, are proving to be more difficult to create, but that’s just something I extrapolated from the video. Really cool stuff though.[/quote]

Cool link.

The question I was asking here though is it right for the government to ever presume consent for anything?

[quote]therajraj wrote:
The question I was asking here though is it right for the government to ever presume consent for anything?[/quote]

No.

Wow, do we agree on something?

[quote]Cortes wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:
The question I was asking here though is it right for the government to ever presume consent for anything?[/quote]

No.

Wow, do we agree on something? [/quote]

I think it’s wrong but I can’t think of a logical reason why. Can you?

Because the government doesn’t own your body, alive or dead.

Here’s an interesting discussion of this exact subject:

I wouldn’t really mind. I mean, I’d be dead, right? So, I wouldn’t know. I would still like to help somebody after I’m gone.

CS

Human flesh is obviously a collective ressource.
I’m all for it.

Actually, i think we should go further : legalize anthropophagy and give unused organs and body parts to feed the poor children of Africa.
It’s a shame that all these proteins are wasted.

Help a dying person, help a med student, it’s all good.

If I’m dead, hack me up and do what you want.

[quote]kamui wrote:
Human flesh is obviously a collective ressource.
I’m all for it.

Actually, i think we should go further : legalize anthropophagy and give unused organs and body parts to feed the poor children of Africa.
It’s a shame that all these proteins are wasted.

[/quote]

Jonathan Swift? Is that you?