Pressing 3x Per Week HP MASS

Hi everyone, I have been following the hp mass training principles for around 2 months thus far and was curious as to something CT said in his post. In the original article he stated that he will often include three heavy upper body pressing days per week in his training. I personally LOVE upper body pressing and find it the most enjoyable and was wondering how one would work that into their current split vs. the usual 2 days per week outlined in his template.

Any advice/help would be appreciated!

my split is chest/bi back/tri legs shoulders

on back/tri day i do heavy close grip benching as my main tri movement

yayyyy

What HM said.

Right now I’m only doing the Upper body pressing portion of HP Mass and really enjoying it.

Day1: HP Mass Upper Body Pressing / triceps
Day2: Back / Traps
Day3: HP Mass Upper body pressing / biceps
Day4: Legs
Repeat -

Works out to 3 upper body pressing days per week - HP Mass style - no failure.

[quote]Vinnyram wrote:
Hi everyone, I have been following the hp mass training principles for around 2 months thus far and was curious as to something CT said in his post. In the original article he stated that he will often include three heavy upper body pressing days per week in his training. I personally LOVE upper body pressing and find it the most enjoyable and was wondering how one would work that into their current split vs. the usual 2 days per week outlined in his template.

Any advice/help would be appreciated! [/quote]

For the original HP Mass program, you SHOULD be pressing at least 4 times a week. Maybe you didn’t read the article correctly. On your lower body days, you should still have an upper body lift as your 3rd exercise. An example lower body day would look like this:

A) Squat
ramp up to MTW X 3, then wave like you would for that week

B) Sumo Deadlift

C) Bench Press (with face pulls as staggered sets)

If you want you can choose bench press as your 3rd lift on both lower body days. I personally like to do standing OH Press on my first lower body day, and bench press on the second.

PM me if you still have questions.

I do upper body pressing 5 days a week. lol I don’t see the issue here? Just do it, and make sure your routine doesn’t become imbalanced.

[quote]ashylarryku wrote:

For the original HP Mass program, you SHOULD be pressing at least 4 times a week. Maybe you didn’t read the article correctly. On your lower body days, you should still have an upper body lift as your 3rd exercise. An example lower body day would look like this:

A) Squat

B) Sumo Deadlift

C) Bench Press (with face pulls as staggered sets)

If you want you can choose bench press as your 3rd lift on both lower body days. I personally like to do standing OH Press on my first lower body day, and bench press on the second.

PM me if you still have questions.[/quote]

or you could listen to this monkey

High frequency pressing is great. Just do plenty of upper back, so you don’t fuck yourself up.

thanks for the replies guys! And yes I try to throw in some pullups/rows to help balance things out.

[quote]Vinnyram wrote:
thanks for the replies guys! And yes I try to throw in some pullups/rows to help balance things out. [/quote]

You should already be doing pulling exercises for you staggered sets. I’m assuming you didn’t really read the article lol.

It’s very simple - If you don’t train to failure which I think most people should do most of the time (by most I mean 95%+), then you can press many times a week… I shirt bench once, bench twice, CGBP once and OHP twice… Just train smart. And as mentioned, drill that upper back too.

[quote]arramzy wrote:
If you don’t train to failure which I think most people should do most of the time (by most I mean 95%+), [/quote]

That’s a pretty bold statement. My lifting buddies and I think the exact opposite, and we are some of the few people in our gym that are stronger and stand out.

[quote]arramzy wrote:
If you don’t train to failure which I think most people should do most of the time (by most I mean 95%+), [/quote]

That’s a pretty bold statement. My lifting buddies and I think the exact opposite, and we are some of the few people in our gym that are stronger and stand out.[/quote]

Perhaps 95% was a bit high but definitely 70%. I am talking about clean, raw or IPF style lifters. When drugs start getting involved and multiply lifting, I think things get a bit different. But if you watch MOST of the worlds strongest raw or single ply lifters, they tend to train higher frequency and avoid failure.

[quote]arramzy wrote:

[quote]arramzy wrote:

That’s a pretty bold statement. My lifting buddies and I think the exact opposite, and we are some of the few people in our gym that are stronger and stand out.[/quote]

Perhaps 95% was a bit high but definitely 70%. I am talking about clean, raw or IPF style lifters. When drugs start getting involved and multiply lifting, I think things get a bit different. But if you watch MOST of the worlds strongest raw or single ply lifters, they tend to train higher frequency and avoid failure.[/quote]

Oh, I think you worded your statement wrong because we are in agreement here lol. You’re saying most people should avoid failure? I totally agree. When you said “I think most people should do most of the time” it sounded like you meant people should train to failure most of the time. Yes, I think when drugs come into play you should really push the limits of your recovery because obviously your body will be able to handle much more stress. Ever since I have been training with CT’s methods, getting in more frequency and quality volume, I have gotten stronger at a much faster rate.

I think I worded my statement fine…

“If you DONT train to failure which I think MOST PEOPLE SHOULD DO do most of the time”

But glad we agree.

I DID read the article (all segments of it). Now that that is taken care of, what i was asking (which has been answered pretty much) is whether or not 3 pressing DAYS would be a decent idea. Meaning that I would do bench, overhead press, top half benching and accessory work Mon, Wed, and Friday instead of the usual monday tuesday. For staggered assistance work i work the pressing muscles and devote 1 day to training lats and biceps as well as traps and do pullups throughout the day at my house every day of the week (never to failure though). Regardless, thank you all for the replies