Presidential Vote: Have You Changed?

max:

It’s interesting…

I always thought that the DEMS “Super-Delegates” tended to “rig” their system from the start.

In one of those strange and bizarre “Political Ironies”…a Super Delegate System would have prevented the GOP from going through the struggles they are going through now.

Is that “good” or “bad”?

Only time will tell.

1 Like

Me too, although my dislike of Hillary is a little higher than Max13’s take, in addition to my distrust of her.

Also, I’d reiterate, as Max13 states, my respect for Kasich went up when he refused to call in line behind Trump.

4 Likes

Trump and Hilary were ALWAYS and absolute no for me.

Trump vs Hilary, and the libertarians nominate someone like Johnson. I’d be voting libertarian, if there were a libertarian candidate on the ballot. My default write in is Cthulu, because “why vote for the lesser evil”, but this year Cthulu actually is the lesser evil. There isn’t a single small government candidate, so they can all go screw themselves.

3 Likes

Which makes you wonder, how satisfied were the GOP voters with the GOP prior to Trump?

Good question, raj…

I really don’t know the answer to that.

I think a major part of that variable is the number of new voters Trump has pulled. That includes young people previously unattracted by the GOP and many first-time voters.

1 Like

Why participate in the process that has left you without an option? Again, when was the last time you heard someone talking about mandating a vote for one of the two major-party candidates? I believe I heard the current President mention mandating participation in the voting process itself.

I’m not conflicted at all: I won’t vote for either of the two worse choices. Haven’t changed: It’s Gary Johnson for me. He’s not perfect by any means but he’s a far cry from how terrible the others are.

5 Likes

Agree with this. I would have happily voted for Paul Ryan as well during primaries, or even Rubio.

2 Likes

Couldn’t have said it better. Ryan was really making headway in his rebranding effort too, and one I agreed with because it showed foresight into the marketing the dems always through at GoP members: “they hate poor people”. Ryan was well spoken enough he could have succeeded in changing the discussion points and taking that talking point away from the dems if his rebranding had succeeded.

I called this back in the very beginning of primary season as soon as Trump was officially in the race: “The longer he stays in the more he demolishes the party”.

I haven’t needed to remind people because it’s self-evident and happened right in front of our eyes. Just a travesty. I’d call it the single worst misstep in party politics (not policy) in the last 60 years.

1 Like

That is one of my favorite campaign lines ever. I have one of those shirts too…I laughed so hard when I saw it the geek in me just couldn’t resist.

Since I have been old enough to vote, there has never been a presidential candidate in the general election that I wanted to vote for. I have always voted for the lesser of 2 evils. This time is no different.

In your opinion…who would that “lesser evil” be, Ogre?

(Just Curious).

Seeing as they took both the House and the Senate prior to the Trump fiasco, I’d say pretty satisfied.

I really think many were happy with the direction Ryan was going.

1 Like

Agreed. And don’t forget the GOP gains at the state level as well. The GOP was ascendant.

2 Likes

I am a practicing Catholic and I can tell you that in my parish leftism is taking over. The left does a better job portraying that they are benevolent and compassionate, though it is far from the truth. I have had a discussion with my priest on the difference between coercion and compassion, force and charity, and how we as faithful should never pretend that the government can be virtuous.

As far as abortion and other social issues, the Catholic church is quickly becoming what Judaism is for the most part in the United States. Less about religion, more about culture and habitual tradition with little or no reflection on their purpose.

This actually started quite a long time ago, but I do agree.

I have changed. I used to be a NeverTrumper, and now will vote for the Cheeto Jesus.

Cheeto Jesus will only probably be terrible. She-Devil WOULD be terrible. No doubt.

Ergo, we have a remote chance with Trump.

2 Likes

This is where I have been so far. I have a faint hope that “President Trump” would appoint a worthy cabinet and surround himself with able advisors, then give them room to actually do their job. However, I still consider truly voting my conscience with a write-in.