Moderator: Tom Brokaw of NBC News
Format: Town Hall style

Third Presidential debate:
Date: Wednesday, October 15, 2008
Hofstra University, Hempstead, New York

Debate focus: Domestic and Economic Policies
Moderator: Bob Schieffer of CBS News
Format: Sitting at a table

The two backup sites are Centre College in Danville, Kentucky and Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.

I’d like to thank LowFattMatt for making it a sticky.

Mufasa

Bump

Thanks Mufasa

You’re welcome, RJ.

About television.

The television viewing of BOTH conventions broke all kinds of records, so I think that it is safe to say that all the major networks will carry the debates (as well as CNN, MSMBC, etc.)

Mufasa

Based on the viewership, I have to think that this election will have a higher turnout than we’ve seen in some time.

The choices over the last several elections have been like choosing between cherry red and fire engine red.

This time around, if one can’t tell the difference in the candidates, they really don’t need to be voting.

For the first time since Ronald Reagan, we actually have someone on the republican ticket who is charismatic, and appeals to the conservative base. Too bad it’s not McCain.

And the dems, for only the second time since JFK, have a charismatic candidate.

But this is the first time in my lifetime that both parties have tickets that people actually want to get behind and get excited about.

If Obama and Palin do noting else for this country, I hope they have awakened the apathetic dipshits from their slumber and entices them to the polls.

Is this the Obama we will see?

If he stays on talking points, he will speak better, but the content will be canned and come off fake.

If he tries to rebut directly, he’s going to sound like a clown.

Expect him to stick to talking points.

As far as McCain goes, he is who he is.

He’ll have talking points, but will also rebut directly. Either way, he’s a mediocre orator. He’ll be able to respond “on-the-fly” because he sets his own agenda (mostly) and knows why he voted the way he did and what he wants to change or sustain as POTUS.

He’ll come out sounding genuine, but not stellar, and won’t lose any ground in the debate.

From the AP:

“Three times in two weeks, political speeches (Those of Obama, Palin and McCain) were watched by more people than the “American Idol” finale, the Academy Awards and the opening ceremony of the Beijing Olympics this year”.

“The Republican convention was the most-watched convention on television ever, beating a standard set by the Democrats a week earlier”.

(This was due to the number of viewers that watched Sarah Palins acceptance speech. Obama and McCain were a virtual tie in their viewership).

Mufasa

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Based on the viewership, I have to think that this election will have a higher turnout than we’ve seen in some time.

The choices over the last several elections have been like choosing between cherry red and fire engine red.

This time around, if one can’t tell the difference in the candidates, they really don’t need to be voting.

For the first time since Ronald Reagan, we actually have someone on the republican ticket who is charismatic, and appeals to the conservative base. Too bad it’s not McCain.

But this is the first time in my lifetime that both parties have tickets that people actually want to get behind and get excited about.

If Obama and Palin do noting else for this country, I hope they have awakened the apathetic dipshits from their slumber and entices them to the polls. [/quote]

More people paying attention is a very good thing indeed. However, more people voting is not automatically a good thing if they don’t have enough sense to educate themselves on the issues.

It may not be the best idea for the “drunk on video games” crowd to show up.

During a debate Obama should ask McCain to join him in pledging to pass an illegal immigration amnesty bill. You’d hear a pin drop in the resulting silence.

[quote]bald eagle wrote:
rainjack wrote:

If Obama and Palin do noting else for this country, I hope they have awakened the apathetic dipshits from their slumber and entices them to the polls.

More people paying attention is a very good thing indeed. However, more people voting is not automatically a good thing if they don’t have enough sense to educate themselves on the issues.

It may not be the best idea for the “drunk on video games” crowd to show up.

[/quote]

Considering the fact that so little people show up that the Christian Right is a major voting bloc (because they actually vote), more people voting is a very, very good thing.

The more people that vote, the less power the special interests like the Christian Right, PETA, etc have, and the less they need to be pandered to.

Palin, her daughter, and Joe “Bullwinkle” Biden

The VP Debate:

We’ve discussed it a lot here; but it bears repeating and discussing.

The one that needs to do the most “study” for this debate is Biden; and not of foreign policy, but on debate tactics.

Palin is riding a wave of popular support right now. She is “us” and Biden represents “them”.

He didn’t gain the moniker “Stick-my-foot-my-mouth” Biden for no reason. He is known for gaffs and slip-ups. And someone as smart and sauuvy (YES; Palin is a VERY smart POLITICIAN), can have him looking like a condescending, sexist, out-of-touch Washington Insider with just one, slick one-liner or zinger.

My feeling is that if he sticks to what he knows; counters his Life story with that of Palins; and stays cool (that’s pretty tough for Biden!)…he’ll come out okay.

But if he goes on the personal attack, Palin will literally AND metaphorically gut him like an Alaskan Moose.

Mufasa

LOL!

(You know; red face…choking…gasping for breath…!)

You remember that clip of Noriega a few years back hitting that podium with a Sabre?

I could see Palin doing that!

Mufasa

Palin, her daughter and Joe “Bullwinkle” Biden

This is the pic that didn’t post!

Mufasa

On a serious note;

Biden has a LOT of work to do between now and the debate.

Mufasa

You crack me up, Push!

I have NO idea the difference between a Moose or a Caribou!

(or a Deer and an Elk?)

Whatever it was; it came across Palin and lost BIG time!

Mufasa