Preparing for the USNAPS

I will be attending the Naval Academy Preparatory School at the end of July. My goal is to run 3+ miles at roughly 6:30 - 7:00 per mile. My one mile time was around 8:00, but I know my time has decreased since the last I timed it. I pretty much stopped squatting and deadlifting just so I could focus on running, but is this the correct approach? My stamina is still relatively low as running 2 miles at a steady pace is still difficult. Should go back and add additional leg workouts like squats, deadlifts, and lunges? Or should I stick to running until my cardiovascular are brought up?

What can I do to increase my pullups, pushups, and situps?

My current stats are: 22 pullups, 76 pushups, and 61 situps (having 2 minutes to perform each exercise)

at those numbers… you don’t have much to increase.

Get back into lifting. A good way to go about this is to do 5/3/1 and do the main lifts, but cut out a lot of the accessory stuff, or just focus on the things you need to accomplish. If you have access to a prowler or sled, use it. Start sprinting, too.

Well I’m not too worried about the pull-ups and stuff, but I am certainly am about the running. I don’t really know much about how to train for running, so would sprints help for distance running? As of now I’m running about 2 miles on odd days and swimming or rowing on even days.

yeah start lifting. buy 5/3/1 e-book. Bench press, deadlift, squat, military press, chin/pull-ups, push-ups, core/ab work, sprints, prowler work if you have one. Done and done. There’s plenty of good sprint articles on T-Nation.

[quote]HLU64 wrote:
My stamina is still relatively low as running 2 miles at a steady pace is still difficult. Should go back and add additional leg workouts like squats, deadlifts, and lunges? Or should I stick to running until my cardiovascular are brought up?[/quote]

If you are having trouble running 2 miles at a “steady pace,” you need a running program designed to improve your time over three miles, not sprints. Sprints are great, but your goal is going to require roughly 20 minutes of pretty intense effort – you need to train for that, not for what it takes to complete a 100, 200, or 400. If you google “running program to improve 5k” you’ll come up with a number of results. At a minimum, I think you’d probably want to be doing one tempo or interval run, a speed day and a long run.

I have to agree with Burt, your running is a concern. Your situps also concern me, I’d want you closer to 100 in 2 minutes to be competitive. The Naval Academy isn’t going to care about your squat max, so as much as it pains me to say this your strength training should be tertiary to your endurance and speed work.

You’re going to be running a lot further than the distance you’re being tested on, and it reflects very poorly on you if you fall out. I’d be looking at a 10K program, and until you can do 1 mile in 6:30 and 3 in 21 Min I wouldn’t worry about strength.

^Agree with Burt and DD Jim here. Obviously stay strong, and PB Andy mentioned 5-3-1, which might work out well for you in addition to a good running program. Obviously depending on your time restrictions. What Jim said about falling out is dead on. There is no way to look worse in PT than falling out on a run.

I would also agree with Burt and DD. If 2 miles is still a stretch for 6 weeks out from your start date aerobic conditioning needs to be your focus. A stripped down 2x/wk 5/3/1 should allow you to maintain strength and stay fresh for runs. Calisthenics can be done daily, broken up through the day. I personally have done really well in the past incorporating “fartlek” style run training 2x/wk, sprint/speed work 1x/wk and a longer, easy pace run 1x/wk, but everyone’s different. Some people swear by higher volume steady state training and have done very well with that. As suggested above find a program that sounds reasonable to you and follow it.

I also would suggest you take some time over the next 6 weeks to work on your running form. Running, like lifting, is a skill. I found that my enjoyment and my performance during running both increased almost immediately with improvements to my technique. I found “Chi Running” principles to be really helpful, but “Pose” running looks good too. Not only will good technique help you run faster and easier it will reduce your risk of injury. Get into foam rolling, LAX ball self massage and mobility exercises as well. You’ll thank me later.

Below is a bare bones, steady state running program written by Stew Smith Military Workouts, Military Fitness Articles and Resources | Military.com. I would consider doing 1-2 of these runs per week as a fartlek (Google it) to build in some speed. It’s not the “magic bullet” of run programs or anything, but if you’re overwhelmed by all the choices out there, just do this and you’ll get fitter and faster in your remaining time. During the third week where he calls for no running, I suggest you row on a C2, if you have access to one, or cycle for a similar or slightly longer duration as your 2 mi runs 3x/wk. TBH, if you feel good you could probably just do a third week running 2 mi 3x/wk, but that’s not how it was written.

• Weeks #1, 2: 2 miles/day, 8:30 pace, M/W/F (6 miles/week)
  • Week #3: No running. High risk of stress fractures.
  • Week #4: 3 miles/day, M/W/F (9 miles/week)
  • Weeks #5, 6: 2/3/4/2 miles, M/Tu/Th/F (11 miles/week)
  • Weeks #7, 8: 3/4/5/2 miles, M/Tu/Th/F (16 miles/week)
  • Week #9: Same as #7, 8 (16 miles/week)

Just my $.02. All the best.

I would say sit ups definitely need to come up. I know for the Army at the younger age group, 80+ is maxing out. Do a lot of core work with stability and flexibility in focus to keep the run up as well.
cheers.

_Queen

ruck/flak/weighted vests while you run will help improve your time

[quote]…z… wrote:
ruck/flak/weighted vests while you run will help improve your time[/quote]
I disagree with this in terms of injury prevention. That shit fucks up your joints. Save it for ruck marching/the battlefield.