T Nation

Preparing for the Arnold - Videos

Hey all-

Here are some ME squat sets:

I am competing in the Raw Challenge at the Arnold next month. The first set is 500x3, followed by doubles with 545, 555, and 565. Compare these with some videos taken in April:

I think my depth looks much better and I am doing a better job staying upright. What do you guys think? Comments and critiques are appreciated.

Also, my training partner Tom built the racks we are using. They are identical to the IPF competition racks.

~Thad

Your doing a good job staying more upright than in your last video.

One thing I would reccomend is keeping arch all the way threw the lift.

You have a good one starting off, but you lose it when you get around parallel.

You are squatting 2-4" below parallel on all sets (or at least the ones I can see from the side). There’s no reason to go that deep.

Otherwise it looks good. What #s are you trying to hit at the Arnold?

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
You are squatting 2-4" below parallel on all sets (or at least the ones I can see from the side). There’s no reason to go that deep.

Otherwise it looks good. What #s are you trying to hit at the Arnold?[/quote]

The USAPL is notorious for requiring squats go deeper than stated in the rule book just as some of the multi-ply feds are notorious for allowing high squats. He could be goign to depth for all we know

At the 2008 USAPL Raw Nationals, they were insanely strict with depth.

You can see in this video, she is super deep and still got one red light (yes, for depth).

I think your depth looks good, and I would not cut them any higher - at least not for your first attempt.

My coach will be there was well, as a 181, and I believe the girl in the video I posted will be competing too. I’m jealous!

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
At the 2008 USAPL Raw Nationals, they were insanely strict with depth.

You can see in this video, she is super deep and still got one red light (yes, for depth).

I think your depth looks good, and I would not cut them any higher - at least not for your first attempt.

My coach will be there was well, as a 181, and I believe the girl in the video I posted will be competing too. I’m jealous![/quote]

Really? That got a red for depth? That’s almost as bad as a white for 5" high multiply squats. Just wow.

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
Steel Nation wrote:

The USAPL is notorious for requiring squats go deeper than stated in the rule book just as some of the multi-ply feds are notorious for allowing high squats. He could be goign to depth for all we know[/quote]

If the depth on his 3rd set is required for white lights then that is some terrible fucking judging. He was easily 4+" below parallel. Failing a good squat is much worse than passing a high one.

KBCThird wrote:
Steel Nation wrote:

The USAPL is notorious for requiring squats go deeper than stated in the rule book just as some of the multi-ply feds are notorious for allowing high squats. He could be goign to depth for all we know

If the depth on his 3rd set is required for white lights then that is some terrible fucking judging. He was easily 4+" below parallel. Failing a good squat is much worse than passing a high one.[/quote]

You dont have much experience with the USAPL/IPF, do you?

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
Steel Nation wrote:
KBCThird wrote:
Steel Nation wrote:

If the depth on his 3rd set is required for white lights then that is some terrible fucking judging. He was easily 4+" below parallel. Failing a good squat is much worse than passing a high one.

You dont have much experience with the USAPL/IPF, do you?[/quote]

Nope.

Otherwise it looks good. What #s are you trying to hit at the Arnold?[/quote]

The depth issue is something I had problems with in the past. Previously, I held the bar all the way out to the plates and my squats looked more like good mornings. With this style, I could use more weight, but my squats weren’t passing with the USAPL judging. Of course, any competitive powerlifter will tell you that a squat is useless unless it is passed by the judges. Essentially I reconstructed my form, moving my hands in and attempting to say more upright.

I believe I did 606 at Raw Nationals this summer. I am hoping to get around 625 or so.

~Thad

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
Steel Nation wrote:
KBCThird wrote:
Steel Nation wrote:

You dont have much experience with the USAPL/IPF, do you?[/quote]

I lol’d

Nice job man. What are your openers and what is your goal for the meet?