Preparing for Strongman Comps

These are the events for my country’s main strongman event.

tire flip - 250kg for 20m
logwalk 100kg for 40m(farmer’s walk)
5ton truck pull for 20m
75kg barrel walk(bear hug)

I am kinda interested in participating and I have 9 months to prepare for it.

Is a 3 day full body 5x5ish program minus the benching enough?(this is what I am on now)

And do I have to bulk up? I am kinda lightweight for strongman events at just under 200lb at 5’10.

IF you want to move the truck you’ll probably need a bit of extra bodyweight…

Train the events!

I don’t see any overhead lift, deadlift, etc so yes being stronger overall will help you but not near as much as training the events.

Also yes you can weigh 200 and pull a 5ton truck, but if there is no weightclasses you might as well add some bodyweight.

[quote]KO421 wrote:
Train the events!

I don’t see any overhead lift, deadlift, etc so yes being stronger overall will help you but not near as much as training the events.

Also yes you can weigh 200 and pull a 5ton truck, but if there is no weightclasses you might as well add some bodyweight.[/quote]

I agree use the gym to get stronger but get on the events them selves as much as you can.

Phill

[quote]Hanley wrote:
IF you want to move the truck you’ll probably need a bit of extra bodyweight…[/quote]

To be honest I should probably take that back. You can move the truck if you have good technique and know what you’re doing.

But tbh I don’t know what good technique is in a truck pull.

But I DO know that I saw Irelands strongest 90kg lifer humbled by a truck on the weekend, but some 94kg polsih lad moved it without a bother (and trust me when I say he is definately not stronger, at least at the powerlifts anyway!)

How the hell do I train for the truck pull? I dont have a 5 ton truck in my backyard for me to play around with…

[quote]Doenitz79 wrote:
How the hell do I train for the truck pull? I dont have a 5 ton truck in my backyard for me to play around with…[/quote]

I push my truck up hills with my buddies sitting in it (need at least one to steer/ brake). It’s no 5ton but depending on the hill it can be great work! elitefts.com has truck push handles if you are so inclined for about 200USD as I recall.

bear crawls with sled, smaller truck up incline, ask a busdriver, find a friend whos company has big trucks, etc.