T Nation

Preparing for Next Year

ok thought i would post on here to get some advice from people to make sure i dont waste my time or go down the wrong path and get bad results.

I am back in the gym after some time off due to injurys and personal things. My goal is to bulk up all this year and some of 2013 to be ready for a bodybuilding comp by August/September of next year.

I am currently at 198 pounds and im gaining roughly 2 pounds a week. my current split is

day 1 Legs and calves
Day 2 shoulders and traps and some forearms
Day 3 Rest
Day 4 back and Lats and some Abs
day 5 bi’s and tri’s and calves
Day 6 chest and some abs

im doing 6 to 7 excercises each session 4 sets and a rep range of 12-15. and the excercices i use differ from week to week but will include the big 3 every week IE squats, Deadlift and Bench. i add more sets in for the big 3 so might do 5 to 6 sets.

My diet is pretty much the same every day here is a basic example.

7.30 am 400ml milk 2 scoops of ON whey and some porridge OATS 1 scopp of BCAA
10.00am 1 grilled chicken breast and a handfull of tomatoes
12.30am Tuna Pasta with some onions or sweetcorn (sometime forget the veggies but try not to)
3.00pm 3 boilded eggs and some sort of cracker or brown bread.
5.00pm 3 handfulls of mixed nuts
train for an hour to an hour and a half straight after completing training i will have another 2 scoops of ON whey and 1 scoop of BCAA
8.00 Steak and VEG, Chicken breast and VEG, chcicken and Rice, Minced Beef and pasta or rice with VEG IE usualy meat pasts/rice and some veg
10.30 400ml of milk semi skinned 2 scoops of ceasin

I will have a cheat meal on a saturday which will usualy mean a huge pizza to myself with chicken wings or some sort of Kebab with Veg. and i might chuck in a desert on top of that ie a big chocy bar.

I also take 45mg of Zinc, 2 multivitimians and an omega 3 tablet. and 4 ON creatine tablets, soon to swap for 2 scoops in my shakes as cheaper and more creatine.

So one is my goal realistic? two am i eating and training enough? three is there any tips or things you reckon i should change? I will post pics up when at home to show what i am at now after 2 months. thanks for the advice guys and this is my first attempt at bodybuilding so i know im definatly not going to be 100% correct at what i am doing.I did strongman before this and just concentrated on getting fat and big and lifting big. so a big change in direction.

height? any idea what your bf% is? how many years have you been lifting? I ask because 2 lb/week is high. I made the mistake of gaining 1 lb per week for a long time and ended up with way too much fat.

If you are a beginner tho this wouldn’t be as much of an issue.

[quote]MeinHerzBrennt wrote:
I ask because 2 lb/week is high. I made the mistake of gaining 1 lb per week for a long time and ended up with way too much fat.
[/quote]

^Agreed. No one can put on 2 lbs of muscle in a week. Hell, 2 lbs a MONTH is an amazing rate of progress.

Step back, ask yourself how much of your weekly gain is muscle, and as to what isn’t, ask if you’re just setting yourself up for more work later on when you have to drop a whole ton of fat.

S

Im 6ft 2. body fat im not sure of going to pop down to a local shop and get that measured soon to update you with.

i guess im eating to much then and need to cut it down a little.

I was training for 2 years as a strongman doing mainly the big 3 week in week out with some isolation work and before that was a gym noob trying to get the brad pitt body in all the wrong ways for 2 years. I had a lay of period of a year and i am now having another go at the weight game by going down the body building route. started off by helping my brother get his beach body ready for the gym but caught the wieghts bug again.

what do you reckon i might be doing wrong?

First, how are you getting your bf % measured at this shop? If it’s one of those hand-held electronic gadgets, forget it because they aren’t accurate at all.
Second, it would help if you posted your approximate cals and macro breakdown. Posting a pic would also help gauge progress.

Your 10am and 3pm meals could use more protein (unless that 1 chicken breast is 10 or so ounces)
I’d also add either some carbs or some fat with that chicken meal. You can do better than just chicken and tomatoes.

Add a protein source to your 5pm meal. Shoot for 1.5g of protein per pound of bodyweight (roughly) and get this in daily. Carbs and fats will vary depending on how well you handle carbs.

Why not just snap a couple pics?

Yeah was going to use one of those machine things. Never needed to know my bf% so don’t realy know the best method. What would be the best way to measure it accurately. I have posted a pic of my 10am with just the chicken to gauge how much I have thought I would also add a zatzumer so you can somewhat compare the size. Thanks for the help this is my first attempt at this sport so I knew a few things I was doing would be wrong. I will add up my total breakdown of carbs and calories today and willl get a few snaps up to show progress.

[quote]slaz wrote:
Im 6ft 2. body fat im not sure of going to pop down to a local shop and get that measured soon to update you with.

I was training for 2 years as a strongman doing mainly the big 3 week in week out with some isolation work and before that was a gym noob trying to get the brad pitt body in all the wrong ways for 2 years. I had a lay of period of a year and i am now having another go at the weight game by going down the body building route. started off by helping my brother get his beach body ready for the gym but caught the wieghts bug again.

what do you reckon i might be doing wrong? [/quote]

No, you’re not eating too much. Just because a couple of guys have said that a 2 pound gain a week was not ideal for them, it doesn’t means shit for you, man (no offense Stu, MHB). Don’t adjust anything based on others results; the only way to gauge your own progress is by looking at yourself in the mirror… If you notice you’re getting fat, THEN cut the calories. Doing it now, if your making steady progress, would only be detrimental to your long-term gains, at least in my opinion.

Don’t be one of those guys that cuts calories too soon to see any real progress, but on the flip side, it is important to be honest with yourself as you’re gaining weight, so that you don’t have to be one of those guys that has to drastically cut calories and revamp everything after they’ve turned into a fat fuck. Carefully monitor you’re progress so that if the time comes where you begin to notice fat accumulation,you can do a little “maintenance,” rather than having to do a complete overhaul towards the end.

[quote]The Greek wrote:

[quote]slaz wrote:

what do you reckon i might be doing wrong? [/quote]

No, you’re not eating too much. Just because a couple of guys have said that a 2 pound gain a week was not ideal for them, it doesn’t means shit for you, man (no offense Stu, MHB). Don’t adjust anything based on others results; the only way to gauge your own progress is by looking at yourself in the mirror… If you notice you’re getting fat, THEN cut the calories. Doing it now, if your making steady progress, would only be detrimental to your long-term gains, at least in my opinion.

Don’t be one of those guys that cuts calories too soon to see any real progress, but on the flip side, it is important to be honest with yourself as you’re gaining weight, so that you don’t have to be one of those guys that has to drastically cut calories and revamp everything after they’ve turned into a fat fuck. Carefully monitor you’re progress so that if the time comes where you begin to notice fat accumulation,you can do a little “maintenance,” rather than having to do a complete overhaul towards the end. [/quote]

Read what The Mighty Stu said again. It’s sound advice and isn’t much different from yours. He’s just saying that 2lbs a week is a lot and his gains are probably accompanied by a fair bit of fat.

2 lbs a wee isn’t ideal for anyone other than an anorexic beginner, seriously lol.

I believe the only reliable ways to test bf% are with calipers and doing the water displacement test (I forget the name). Those hand-held devices are worthless.

Most people don’t actually get their bf tested, they just develop a good enough eye to gauge where they are.

If you can upload a pic of yourself you will get more feedback on what to do.

ok i tried adding some pictures over the weekend but for some reason its not seeming to work via my mobile when i get time will upload them to my home comp and post them up here. I neeed to go out the weekend and get some calipers then im guessing to keep a good eye on my body fat.

i dont think im getting fat but i have noticed a little extra weight around my mid section but thought thats kinda normal for a bulk. will add a little more cardio in and see if it balances out.

[quote]slaz wrote:
i dont think im getting fat but i have noticed a little extra weight around my mid section but thought thats kinda normal for a bulk. [/quote]

“Normal” is what you perceive it to be. That little ‘extra weight’ around your mid section ain’t muscle -lol. For me, seeing my abs blur when standing relaxed is normal (not prepping). Getting a little soft is normal, and in fact means I’m getting a surplus of cals. Getting rolls around my midsection is not “normal” as it says TO ME that I’m eating waaaay more than I honestly need to be. A surplus is necessary, a ridiculous surplus ain’t.

-and if this turns into a sh-tstorm, don’t expect more replies from me in the thread :slight_smile:

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

[quote]slaz wrote:
i dont think im getting fat but i have noticed a little extra weight around my mid section but thought thats kinda normal for a bulk. [/quote]

“Normal” is what you perceive it to be. That little ‘extra weight’ around your mid section ain’t muscle -lol. For me, seeing my abs blur when standing relaxed is normal (not prepping). Getting a little soft is normal, and in fact means I’m getting a surplus of cals. Getting rolls around my midsection is not “normal” as it says TO ME that I’m eating waaaay more than I honestly need to be. A surplus is necessary, a ridiculous surplus ain’t.

-and if this turns into a sh-tstorm, don’t expect more replies from me in the thread :slight_smile:

S[/quote

yeah i do see what your saying STU. sorry to sound look a total noob. well i am though lol. I obvously need to drop a few calories or add a bit more cardio into my routines. Its my first time at doing this and didnt realise how much you have to keep tweeking things from time to time. when doing strongman i just used to eat lift and compete didnt realise how much i have to tweak for BBing. plus im guessing old habits for strongman still are in the back of my head from time to time.

I havent been getting extra rolls just been getting a little soft not been able to see my abs when tensing as clearly as i used to. willl need to keep an eye on this and if it gets worse will need to tweek some more.