Preparing for BP Meet Question

I joined a BP competition for later this year. Do I change my power lifting routine and mainly work on the BP or just stay with the PL routine I am currently on?

No one knows what your current routine is! I can say this though, make sure you do as much pulling as you do pressing, and make sure you are doing some overhead press in addition to bench.

Like csulli said its hard to say with so little information. We don’t even know how strong you are already or if you have any weakpoints. But generally you can benefit from extra days just working on technique and speed if nothing else. It won’t take away from recovery to much and might help you by “grinding the groove”

I wouldn’t change anything til the last 4-5 weeks, then taper down squat and deadlift volume and intensity.

Thanks for responses,

I’m 45 yrs old, been lifting on and off most of adult life. I used to do bodybuilding, I have changed to PL this yr.

My routine is BP with assistance, dipps, pullups, pushups ,day 1
day 2 squats, stiff leg dead lifts, OH press,
day 3 BP variations, incline/decline. asst. Flys, floor press
day 4 DL, Shrugs, Rows, Clean & Jerk
off days vary…assistance work varies as well…

1 rm is 200 on BP and I weigh 188

[quote]steve1124 wrote:
Thanks for responses,

I’m 45 yrs old, been lifting on and off most of adult life. I used to do bodybuilding, I have changed to PL this yr.

My routine is BP with assistance, dipps, pullups, pushups ,day 1
day 2 squats, stiff leg dead lifts, OH press,
day 3 BP variations, incline/decline. asst. Flys, floor press
day 4 DL, Shrugs, Rows, Clean & Jerk
off days vary…assistance work varies as well…

1 rm is 200 on BP and I weigh 188[/quote]

Cool! I think you might like the addition of close grip bench press if you aren’t already doing them. That is my favorite bench assistance exercise. I like them even more than dips or incline. If you decide you like them, I don’t know if you would want to add them in on top of everything else or replace something with them. Flys and declines are in my opinion the two least useful lifts for powerlifting that you have in your program (they are great for bodybuilding though lol). They aren’t bad exercises, but if you were going to replace something with close grip, I would start with one of those.