T Nation

Preparing for 5/3/1 Post Powerlifting Meet

Hello Coach Wendler,

I come asking for advice regarding training following a meet. I am competing in my first powerlifting meet in November and am trying to plan my training for the following year. My plan is to perform 5/3/1 following this meet, but am here to ask as to how you'd recommend proceeding to continue with powerlifting training following a meet.

I understand this is perhaps a circumstance unique to every individual and have read several insights from other professionals and am looking to hear yours. I've read Dave Tate recommends "not even touching a barbell for 4-6 weeks following a meet". However, be it my first and that I am competing raw and relatively new to the sport,I am wondering if it's beneficial for someone like me, whose max attempts are extremely modest compared to Tate or other elites, to abstain from lifting for so long following a meet and if i should take a week off, even if I feel like lifting, or if I can jump into 5/3/1, using my maxes from the meet x .9 the week after.

For some info on me, I am a healthy 150 lb,5 ft 10, 26 year old male with a 40 hr/week physical job and a sprinter/long jumper/hurdler background who's not new to the weight room but is new to powerlifting. Your advice is always appreciated! Thank you

[quote]flippyg wrote:
Hello Coach Wendler,

I come asking for advice regarding training following a meet. I am competing in my first powerlifting meet in November and am trying to plan my training for the following year. My plan is to perform 5/3/1 following this meet, but am here to ask as to how you’d recommend proceeding to continue with powerlifting training following a meet.

I understand this is perhaps a circumstance unique to every individual and have read several insights from other professionals and am looking to hear yours. I’ve read Dave Tate recommends “not even touching a barbell for 4-6 weeks following a meet”. However, be it my first and that I am competing raw and relatively new to the sport,I am wondering if it’s beneficial for someone like me, whose max attempts are extremely modest compared to Tate or other elites, to abstain from lifting for so long following a meet and if i should take a week off, even if I feel like lifting, or if I can jump into 5/3/1, using my maxes from the meet x .9 the week after.

For some info on me, I am a healthy 150 lb,5 ft 10, 26 year old male with a 40 hr/week physical job and a sprinter/long jumper/hurdler background who’s not new to the weight room but is new to powerlifting. Your advice is always appreciated! Thank you[/quote]

DO NOT EVER USE YOUR MAXES FROM A MEET FOR TRAINING. THIS HAS BEEN DISCUSSED SEVERAL MILLION TIMES - DO NOT DO THAT. YOU HAVE A TRAINING MAX FOR A REASON.

Just do 5’s PRo, FSL work: I have a whole prep thing on the forum where we talk about what to do to prepare the body and heart rate for 10 week cycle. It’ll be in the new book at some point.

Point is, your training has to evolve over time but it cannot do that if your body is not healthy and ready.

Training MUST start with low/medium volume, not the other way around. Those that start with high volume training are fucking idiots. I would rather molest a wolverine than listen to them.

Hahaha… that last sentence got me. I see I have some homework to do and will sift through those articles you’ve mentioned to gain proper insight. Your wisdom and humor are much appreciated!