Preparing Egg Whites?

For those of you that use egg whites can you help me out?

Can you drink egg whites? I assume that you shouldn’t, but if I am wrong let me know.

What are some ways that egg whites can be prepared?

Is it the same as regular eggs- scrambled, etc. or can egg whites be added to drinks and other foods, etc…

Thanks for any replies

I’m don’t drink raw egg (unless its eggnog, and even that’s rare) and always eat the yoke, but…

Yes, you can drink egg whites raw, just make sure they’re as fresh as possible.
Get some extra virgin olive oil and you can make some good mayo too(I would eat it all that very day though).

You can prepare them any way you would a regular egg. If there isn’t enough flavor in the cooked egg whites for you, put a little tabasco on it. Seriously, its really good.

[quote]edgecrusher wrote:
I’m don’t drink raw egg (unless its eggnog, and even that’s rare) and always eat the yoke, but…

Yes, you can drink egg whites raw, just make sure they’re as fresh as possible.
Get some extra virgin olive oil and you can make some good mayo too(I would eat it all that very day though).

You can prepare them any way you would a regular egg. If there isn’t enough flavor in the cooked egg whites for you, put a little tabasco on it. Seriously, its really good.[/quote]

Is the salmonella risk less with egg whites? Do egg whites cause gas?

Hard boil those bad boys. Then shell them and cut them in half to remove the yolk. then pop them in your mouth and slam em down with a gulp of water. You can devour 10 whites in no time like this.

You can get the egg whites in containers at most supermarkets these days - they are perfectly safe to drink - stick 'em in a smoothie or shake. Way easier than separating eggs.

As far as cooking them - they can get pretty dry or bland, so you’ll want to undercook them and leave them kinda soft and put some flavoring on them. Mixing in one regular egg helps.

You can add egg whites in place of other liquids (water, milk, etc) in recipes for high protein low fat/carbs.

I have heard repeatedly that raw egg whites will destroy a certain digestive enzyme in your stomach. I don’t know for certain if it’s true. I can’t think of anything more disgusting than drinking egg whites regardless.

I always eat mine scrambled with salsa (it’s easy to find salsa without any bad ingredients) and chopped veggies like red and green peppers, onions and broccoli.

Or if you don’t like salsa try mixing some mustard in with the egg whites before you cook them. It makes them look more like whole eggs instead of that ghastly white color. I think it fools your mind more than anything, but I swear they are better that way.

[quote]basementD wrote:
Is the salmonella risk less with egg whites?Do egg whites cause gas? [/quote]

I’m gonna say no and maybe, but that’s because I don’t know.

If you’re really concerned and want them in liquid form, do what goldin suggested and buy a carton of liquid eggwhites. It should be homogenized and pastuerized. Basically it’s egg-milk.

[quote]edgecrusher wrote:
You can prepare them any way you would a regular egg.[/quote]

Sweet, I’m gonna make mine over easy

Love Egg Whites. Buy the way Costco has 36 large eggs for $1.85. That’s not a mis-print. 2X18 packs of eggs for $1.85.

I boil them about a dozen at a time. Sometimes eat them w/o the yolks straight. Other times I take the yolks out and mix in some hot sauce, or relish or both. Also my new favorite is the egg whites, a dash of soy sauce and a spice called smoked paprika that my wife found at our local gucci market. Good stuff.

If you drink egg whites there are some things to consider.

There is a risk of salmonella with raw eggs. One can get pasturized liquid egg whites at the store and that mostly eliminates that problem. I did start drinking one container that had gone bad. Smell the eggs to double check that they are ok.

Raw egg whites have a protein called avidin. Avidin binds with biotin and if you drink raw egg whites you can get “egg white injury”. It is a problem of not enough biotin. There is a lot of biotin in the egg yolk. I suplement with a 1,000 mcg biotin pill if I drink any pasturized liquid egg white.

Pasturized eggs still have all the avidin in them. Cooking the egg whites denatures most but not all of the avidin.

Depending on what you consume, 35% of the liquid egg white is not digested for healthy people. If you add fat it slows the digestion process so more is digested.

One will have foul gas with drinking straight liquid egg whites. This is because it is not all digested. I do not have any problem when I drank straight liquid whole eggs.

One of the proteins in the egg white makes the “foam” when beaten. So do not pour liquid egg whites into a blender unless you really want foam. I found it best to: 1) mix my protein drink in the blender, 2) turn the blender off, 3) pour liquid egg whites into the blender and then 4) stir gently with a spoon.