Prepare for the Next Attack

[quote]IrishSteel wrote:

[quote]Dustin wrote:

[quote]IrishSteel wrote:

[quote]Dustin wrote:

[quote]IrishSteel wrote:
LOL - and you prove my point - - “this round” - - perennial excuses for starting yet another jihad against the West - as muslims have done for centuries now . . . .[/quote]

Excuses?

It’s like the bully that constantly picks on a kid and then one day, after all the abuse, the kid fights back and busts the bully in the nose.

Afterward, the bully cries foul and claims to be the victim.

Americans need to take off their red, white, and blue glasses and see what the government does in their name.[/quote]

Riiight, all of the hatred towards the West and the US is based solely off of the trillions of dollars we have paid into the ME, the humanitarian aid we have always provided, the weapons we have sold to ME nations that allow them to defend themselves, the goods and services we have continued to provide, and on and on - we’ve been just merciless in our goodwill - we should stop . . .

Yep - we’ve been the big bad ugly bully . . .whatever . . .
[/quote]

Please edumacate yourself.

No, absolutely no reason to hate us.

This isn’t even taking into account the governments constant fellatio of the Saudi Kingdom and Israel.

If you are simply an American Statist and don’t care what the government does, then fine. Just say that, but don’t ignore the last 70 years or so of the U.S government’s constant meddling in the ME and say the U.S does nothing wrong.[/quote]

Educate yourself - regardless of the current rationale for violence against the west (it make sno difference which western nation is the target) - the basic premise underlying the entire jihadist movement is one of islamic domination over all other forms of government. The “submission” of the globe to Allah’s reign. Individual reasons for taking up arms are based in causalities that occur regulary on all sides of the issue. For every “wrong” the US commits there is a corresponding “wrong” committed by the other side.

The underlying intention of the West has never been to harm, maim or kill anyone in the ME. Do people get harmed maimed killed? Yes. It has never been the intention of the West to subjugate, enslave or reign over anyone in the ME. Has the US (and the West at large) supported governments that do this things? Yes - has that been wrong? If you call it wrong, then for each instance you cite, you must define the right action in those situations - can you do that? What would have been your choice in Afghanistan as the Soviets invaded? What would have been your choice in choosing whom to deal with in the ME as the British pulled out - what tribe would you have selected as a trading partner? What would have been your choice in Iran - which rebel faction would you have supported in opposition to the Shah?

People like you try to make it seem so simple to show how the West has wronged the ME without actually understanding ANY of the underlying tribal, cultural, national and international ramifications affecting each and every decision along the way - - - And all of this still is based on a centuries old ideology that demands that anything not islamic be subdued or destroyed.

Say what you will, in the end, either you will have to fight islam or submit to it[/quote]

sorry but you are wrong.

islams did not start out as a ideology with world domination as its goal. the religion came about in the same period the arab people in the arabian dessert expanded to bysants and persia. In the same period the ME colonies of bysants was week, so it fell to the arabs without much struggle. The new muslim arab leaders in the new empire called “kalifat” allowed christian and jewish practice.

let us skip forward to the crusades. The crusades are a big part of europeen history. I the europeen nations wanted to recapture the old eastern provinces of bysants and gain control over the tradeways to asia ( the sillky way ). Well for the muslims the crusades are a footnote in the history, its one of many conflicts. and around at that time they looked at europa as a distent, poor and barbaric region who they did not care much about. So no the muslims have not from early on had a hostile or imperialistic wiew towards europa.

let us skip forward again, to the era of Napolion. In the 1700s and early 1800s the ottoman empire had started to die from with in. the sultan in todays turkey had lost practical influence over the provinces.
When the frecnch then landed in egypt, the empire failed to defend egypt. This is the start of europeen dominance in the middle east. and know muslims and other people of the middle east started to be aware of europa, and they with good reason feared the competition from the industrial europa. after the first world war the europeen powers gain full control over the middle east, and all the problems within this region has its origins from the first and second world war.

and under the cold war, when both the american empire and the sovjet empire used the middle east as a chess board, violent jihadisme grew in popularity and took over for the arab nationalisme who grew strong during the world wars. and now this is biting us in the ass.

[quote]Dustin wrote:

1. The U.S government only cares about it’s own interests. It doesn’t care who gets eliminated in the process. To say they never intended to kill or maim the people of ME is ridiculous.

2. This Jihad movement you mention is carried out by militants who, prior to Iraq and A-stan invasions, were largely marginalized, if not, disliked in the region. You need to differentiate between radical elements and the average person who just wants to live their life.

3. I don’t care what the Soviet Union did in A-stan, or if Iranian’s rebel, or if the Brits lost power in the region. Why is that the U.S government’s responsibility to intervene? These situations have no bearing on our lives?

And before you bring up energy resources, nations participate in peaceful trade relations all the time. The ME should be no different.

1. In the end, Middle Easterners are not much different than anyone else. They just want to be left alone. There are radical elements, but you need to realize these fanatics don’t wake up one morning hating the west and that 9/11 was motivated by specific reasons.[/quote]

yes, let’s have this discussion - as a matter of open and honest debate - my family is syrian and I have studied islam, I have been involved in government/education for the last 13 years, and am currently pursuing a degree in military history - and your qualifications?

1. this is a statement of your opinion - thanks for that - and your proof?

2. the jihadist movement has never been marginalized and was awake and active long prior to any US involvement in the ME - in fact our first interaction with Muslims was with Muslim pirates in the Mediterranean - which demanded tribute to avoid war . . .

3 The US government has goals and priorities or are you indicating that we are just supposed to sit within our own borders and not interact with the world at all (example pre-1870 Japan)

1. was there a four . . . . let’s see, 1. 2 . 3 . nope

2. Um, yes they did wake up hating the West, Because Islam says they must . . .

wow - you are so uninformed its scary . . .

[quote]florelius wrote:

sorry but you are wrong.

islams did not start out as a ideology with world domination as its goal. the religion came about in the same period the arab people in the arabian dessert expanded to bysants and persia. In the same period the ME colonies of bysants was week, so it fell to the arabs without much struggle. The new muslim arab leaders in the new empire called “kalifat” allowed christian and jewish practice.

let us skip forward to the crusades. The crusades are a big part of europeen history. I the europeen nations wanted to recapture the old eastern provinces of bysants and gain control over the tradeways to asia ( the sillky way ). Well for the muslims the crusades are a footnote in the history, its one of many conflicts. and around at that time they looked at europa as a distent, poor and barbaric region who they did not care much about. So no the muslims have not from early on had a hostile or imperialistic wiew towards europa.

let us skip forward again, to the era of Napolion. In the 1700s and early 1800s the ottoman empire had started to die from with in. the sultan in todays turkey had lost practical influence over the provinces.
When the frecnch then landed in egypt, the empire failed to defend egypt. This is the start of europeen dominance in the middle east. and know muslims and other people of the middle east started to be aware of europa, and they with good reason feared the competition from the industrial europa. after the first world war the europeen powers gain full control over the middle east, and all the problems within this region has its origins from the first and second world war.

and under the cold war, when both the american empire and the sovjet empire used the middle east as a chess board, violent jihadisme grew in popularity and took over for the arab nationalisme who grew strong during the world wars. and now this is biting us in the ass.

[/quote]

OMG - I do not even know where to start with all of this nonsense - have you ever read a primary historical source in your life?

[quote]IrishSteel wrote:

[quote]florelius wrote:

sorry but you are wrong.

[/quote]

OMG - I do not even know where to start with all of this nonsense - have you ever read a primary historical source in your life?[/quote]

yes one of my classes are middle eastern history.

check out “the history of the arabian people” by Albert Hourani.

Don’t tell me that I have to define what a primary historical source is for you as well . . .

[quote]IrishSteel wrote:
Dustin wrote:

1. The U.S government only cares about it’s own interests. It doesn’t care who gets eliminated in the process. To say they never intended to kill or maim the people of ME is ridiculous.

2. This Jihad movement you mention is carried out by militants who, prior to Iraq and A-stan invasions, were largely marginalized, if not, disliked in the region. You need to differentiate between radical elements and the average person who just wants to live their life.

3. I don’t care what the Soviet Union did in A-stan, or if Iranian’s rebel, or if the Brits lost power in the region. Why is that the U.S government’s responsibility to intervene? These situations have no bearing on our lives?

And before you bring up energy resources, nations participate in peaceful trade relations all the time. The ME should be no different.

1. In the end, Middle Easterners are not much different than anyone else. They just want to be left alone. There are radical elements, but you need to realize these fanatics don’t wake up one morning hating the west and that 9/11 was motivated by specific reasons.[/quote]

[quote]
yes, let’s have this discussion - as a matter of open and honest debate - my family is syrian and I have studied islam, I have been involved in government/education for the last 13 years, and am currently pursuing a degree in military history - and your qualifications? [/quote]

Now I have to list credentials? Okay, a 14 month tour in Iraq with some interaction with locals and a undergrad degree in History/Poly Sci. Are we through measuring dick size now?

My proof? The last 60 years? I did a google search for you providing you with plenty information. It’s not my opinion.

OBL was indeed a polarizing figure in the ME prior to 9-11. It was only after American belligerence in response to 9-11 that OBL gained support and recruits.

Abu Musab al-Zarqawi was piece of shit street criminal who used “Jihad!” as an excuse to be worthless.

Neither of these fine human beings were “mainstream” in the ME prior to 9-11.

Also, for you to say that the Jihadist movement is popular in the ME is to contend that the average Muslim is a fundamentalist. There is no evidence to support that statement and it’s woefully incorrect. I’m not saying that the movement didn’t exist prior to 9-11, but you make it out to be a movement that is supported by all Muslims and it isn’t.

Peaceful interaction is the operative phrase, but governments tend to have problems doing this.

I’m starting to doubt these credentials you posted.

So, to restate, your opinion is that the US government has no problem with eliminating innocent people and that it actually intends to harm, maim and kill those same innocent people in the Middle East out of pure self interest? WOW! and you believe that the last 60 years proves this? hmmm . . . again wow, you better sign up for a jihadi army soon - you’re a great recruit.

I believe I reverted back to the origins of our nation and its very first interaction with Islam was one of piracy and war STARTED by the muslims . . . .

So we did or did not intend to have peaceful interactions with the nations of the Middle East . . . your opinion is wavering here . . .

Bring on the challenge then - let’s start with the origins of Islam and its very first “war” where it slaughtered Jews and Christians for not submitting all the way back in the 7th century merely decades after its founding as a religion . . .

[quote]IrishSteel wrote:
So, to restate, your opinion is that the US government has no problem with eliminating innocent people and that it actually intends to harm, maim and kill those same innocent people in the Middle East out of pure self interest? WOW! and you believe that the last 60 years proves this? hmmm . . . again wow, you better sign up for a jihadi army soon - you’re a great recruit.
[/quote]

Where do I have to sign?

Because if believing that means being the enemy I am the enemy.

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]IrishSteel wrote:
[/quote]

Where do I have to sign?

[/quote]

That explains a lot. . . .

[quote]IrishSteel wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]IrishSteel wrote:
[/quote]

Where do I have to sign?

[/quote]

That explains a lot. . . .
[/quote]

We are legion.

[quote]IrishSteel wrote:

I believe I reverted back to the origins of our nation and its very first interaction with Islam was one of piracy and war STARTED by the muslims . . . .

So we did or did not intend to have peaceful interactions with the nations of the Middle East . . . your opinion is wavering here . . .

Bring on the challenge then - let’s start with the origins of Islam and its very first “war” where it slaughtered Jews and Christians for not submitting all the way back in the 7th century merely decades after its founding as a religion . . .[/quote]

I have already challenged your contentions of a noble and peaceful US government that only wants to spread freedom and democracy. I even googled some information for you.

Why don’t you start by reading some of what I looked up for you and get back with me later.

kthxbye

[quote]Dustin wrote:

[quote]IrishSteel wrote:

Bring on the challenge then - let’s start with the origins of Islam and its very first “war” where it slaughtered Jews and Christians for not submitting all the way back in the 7th century merely decades after its founding as a religion . . .[/quote]

I have already challenged your contentions of a noble and peaceful US government that only wants to spread freedom and democracy. I even googled some information for you.

Why don’t you start by reading some of what I looked up for you and get back with me later.

kthxbye[/quote]

You have not challenged my notion of a noble and peaceful US Government, you have merely proven that even the best of intentions can sometimes result in unintended harms - does that mean we should not act at all? No, it merely proves that we must be cautious and act accordingly with our values, beliefs and the best information we can get. Humans are imperfect and can only make imperfect decisions. If we followed your logic, then no one would drive a car (accidents happen), go swimming (accident happen), cross a street (accidents happen), eat a fish (accidents happen), give a gift (accidents happen), etc etc etc

But our government is a direct reflection of our people, and if you claim that our government would intentionally and purposefully kill innocent people, you are accusing everyone in our nation of that very same mentality and thus you only prove your own ignorance and immaturity.

[quote]orion wrote:

We are legion.

[/quote]

you are schizophrenic . . .

[quote]IrishSteel wrote:

But our government is a direct reflection of our people, and if you claim that our government would intentionally and purposefully kill innocent people, you are accusing everyone in our nation of that very same mentality and thus you only prove your own ignorance and immaturity.[/quote]

No, that just means that he is a card carrying member of the human race.

I prefer that to people that believe themselves to be demi-gods, fit to impose some kind of order on savage tribes.

Because those are seriously fucked up.

It is almost as if they had a mandate from heaven.

[quote]IrishSteel wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

We are legion.

[/quote]

you are schizophrenic . . .[/quote]

My personality dissolves and I can no longer distinguish between outside impulses and the voices in my head?

Maybe I should start to smoke then?

[quote]IrishSteel wrote:

You have not challenged my notion of a noble and peaceful US Government, you have merely proven that even the best of intentions can sometimes result in unintended harms - does that mean we should not act at all?
[/quote]

Supporting Saddam Hussein was done with best intentions? Installing the Shah in Iran who was a total doucher asshole was done with the best intentions? Bombing the piss out of Iraqi’s (twice) was done with best intentions in mind?

SRSLY?

No, if we followed my logic the U.S would not be hated by Muslims, or the rest of the world, for that matter.

[quote]
But our government is a direct reflection of our people, and if you claim that our government would intentionally and purposefully kill innocent people, you are accusing everyone in our nation of that very same mentality and thus you only prove your own ignorance and immaturity.[/quote]

My contention was that the government doesn’t care what happens to people as long as it’s interests are served. The rest of this paragraph isn’t rooted in anything closely resembling fact or reality.

Oh - it must be nice to live in the fantasy land of rainbows and unicorns and lollipops - the cold hard reality of life is that we have to deal with the real world and not your fantasy version of history.

What options do you propose for dealing with Hussein’s rise to power all of those decades ago? Overthrow him? LOL - you are so talking out your a$$

The Shah of Iran - obvioulsy you are either misinformed or very young to have completely missed the fierce and raging debates in this country about the best course of action in that regard going well back into the 1960’s - there again, though, you offer no analysis of the actual situation nor do you propose any viable alternatives . . .

And yes, the US would still be hated as the West has ALWAYS been hated by the muslim - are you even aware that muslims were already attacking Europe UNPROVOKED in the 8th century? - you are so blind to the whol epicture it staggers the imagination to conceive of what your tiny concept of history must be confined to . . .

You miss completely the fact that our governments actions are made by people - people who do care, who do give a damn, who weep over the decisions that they have to make, who spend hours and hours agonizing over their actions, who desperately try to acheive the best possible results that they can and to sit here and read your stupid little diatribes denegrating their selflessness, sacrfice and honor is absolutely abhorrent to me - you cannnot name a single person who behaves in the manner you describe because you simply are using sweeping generalization based in your opinions of the the way things ought to be in some dreamy fantasy and while completely ignoring the harsh reality of having to make these types of decisions on a daily basis - your arrogance is only superceded by your ignorance!

[quote]IrishSteel wrote:
Oh - it must be nice to live in the fantasy land of rainbows and unicorns and lollipops - the cold hard reality of life is that we have to deal with the real world and not your fantasy version of history.
[/quote]

Well, okay. As long as the government does so with its best intentions.

No, do absolutely nothing. What does Iraq have to do anything at all?

I have offered viable alternatives; peaceful trade. Much more practical than staging a coup and overthrowing democratically elected leader in a country on the other side of the planet.

So Muslims have always hated the West (not true) and jihad is not a movement supported by the minority, but many, if not all Muslims, correct? If any of this crap were true, how come we haven’t seen millions of Muslims, over the centuries, rallying to arms and invading the West?

[quote]
You miss completely the fact that our governments actions are made by people - people who do care, who do give a damn, who weep over the decisions that they have to make, who spend hours and hours agonizing over their actions, who desperately try to acheive the best possible results that they can and to sit here and read your stupid little diatribes denegrating their selflessness, sacrfice and honor is absolutely abhorrent to me - you cannnot name a single person who behaves in the manner you describe because you simply are using sweeping generalization based in your opinions of the the way things ought to be in some dreamy fantasy and while completely ignoring the harsh reality of having to make these types of decisions on a daily basis - your arrogance is only superceded by your ignorance![/quote]

wipes away tear

Quite a touching statement (Fail).

I was right all along. You’re simply a hardcore statist that doesn’t care what his government does, despite having all the evidence in front of him.

[quote]IrishSteel wrote:

What options do you propose for dealing with Hussein’s rise to power all of those decades ago? Overthrow him? LOL - you are so talking out your a$$

The Shah of Iran - obvioulsy you are either misinformed or very young to have completely missed the fierce and raging debates in this country about the best course of action in that regard going well back into the 1960’s - there again, though, you offer no analysis of the actual situation nor do you propose any viable alternatives . . .

And yes, the US would still be hated as the West has ALWAYS been hated by the muslim - are you even aware that muslims were already attacking Europe UNPROVOKED in the 8th century? - you are so blind to the whol epicture it staggers the imagination to conceive of what your tiny concept of history must be confined to . . .

You miss completely the fact that our governments actions are made by people - people who do care, who do give a damn, who weep over the decisions that they have to make, who spend hours and hours agonizing over their actions, who desperately try to acheive the best possible results that they can and to sit here and read your stupid little diatribes denegrating their selflessness, sacrfice and honor is absolutely abhorrent to me - you cannnot name a single person who behaves in the manner you describe because you simply are using sweeping generalization based in your opinions of the the way things ought to be in some dreamy fantasy and while completely ignoring the harsh reality of having to make these types of decisions on a daily basis - your arrogance is only superceded by your ignorance![/quote]

I used to think as you do. But then, I woke up. Enough is enough.

Our foreign policy is absolutely ridiculous. Perpetual War for Perpetual Peace. That is essentially what you are saying. Draining the treasury on useless, destructive wars while our own economy crumbles. Perfect symptoms of empire decline.

And no. Our politicians could give a fucking shit about everyday Americans. The only thing they agonize over is how they can get reelected.

LMAO - Me? a hardcore statist? not hardly - you will not find a more vehement opponent to centralized federal authority anywhere else . . . but what do you know about me anyway . .

um - you mentioned hussein - figured you were trying to make a point - guess not

OK - reinstating the Shah - opposed by the Administration prior to Roosevelt and those after him - made as a joint decision between Britain and US - they made their choice based on their best anaylsis of the future state of relations between Iran and the West at the time - really complicated scenarios (most of which are still classified) - and I personally think it was the wrong decision (see my comments about imperfect humans), but was not asked for any input - although peaceful trade was exactly what was not being allowed by thnew Iranian government at the time.

Haven’t you ever read history? What do you think muslims were doing from 700 AD through 1800 AD? are you that ignorant of history?

Couldn;t care less what you think about my statement, becuse you don’t know any of those people, don’t appreciate what they did for you and are sublimely happy in your ignorance - so call it a fail, I only spoke in their defense because I have met them, I havee discussed these things with them and they deserve better than your stupidity as a memorial to their years of dedicated service.

Statist - you’re so off track you need a boat for your train . . . .