T Nation

Pregnant, Tightness & Foam Rolling

Fortunately I’m impregnable. But, my little sister, that’s another story.

She’s experiencing tightness in the hips and lumbar, the first thing I started snooping around for are rules for the preggo and foam rolling. Really, I don’t know a thing about what would be safe. If someone could point me in the right direction or chime in, I’d greatly appreciate it! I’ve searched some and I see some fitness diva’s swear by their foam rollers, but I see no specific list of good or bad rolling exercises/ massages…

Just a big brother trying to show a little love. Cheers folks, and thanks for any help!

Any rolling of the posterior chain and legs is fine. She’s tight because of the added weight she is not accustomed too. I would post this question again over in the Powerful woman section and Im sure they would have a ton more insight than most of us over here. Or just post a message asking the MOD’s to move in for you will work as well.

[quote]Severiano wrote:
Fortunately I’m impregnable. But, my little sister, that’s another story.

She’s experiencing tightness in the hips and lumbar, the first thing I started snooping around for are rules for the preggo and foam rolling. Really, I don’t know a thing about what would be safe. If someone could point me in the right direction or chime in, I’d greatly appreciate it! I’ve searched some and I see some fitness diva’s swear by their foam rollers, but I see no specific list of good or bad rolling exercises/ massages…

Just a big brother trying to show a little love. Cheers folks, and thanks for any help![/quote]

Hey, that’s really awesome that you’ve posted this on your sisters behalf. What a nice big brother you are! How far along is she now? Congrats on being an Uncle also! Is this your first niece or nephew?

Maybe I can help you out a little since I just had my own little one a couple of months ago. Does your sister lift or exercise at all or has she ever foam rolled before? I’m just trying to gauge her level of fitness right now?

Also, yes, as mentioned above, the extra weight is a good deal of what plays havoc on your body. I would really recommend only gaining as much as you have to. Anything more than that is going to not be pleasant, both while you are pregnant and after. Then again, not really a good idea to talk to a pregnant woman about her weight, right? Ha Yeah, probably not the best idea.

Anyhow, just let me know what her current level and I’ll try to help you out with some things that might make her feel a little better. :slight_smile:

[quote]Jackie_Jacked wrote:

[quote]Severiano wrote:
Fortunately I’m impregnable. But, my little sister, that’s another story.

She’s experiencing tightness in the hips and lumbar, the first thing I started snooping around for are rules for the preggo and foam rolling. Really, I don’t know a thing about what would be safe. If someone could point me in the right direction or chime in, I’d greatly appreciate it! I’ve searched some and I see some fitness diva’s swear by their foam rollers, but I see no specific list of good or bad rolling exercises/ massages…

Just a big brother trying to show a little love. Cheers folks, and thanks for any help![/quote]

Hey, that’s really awesome that you’ve posted this on your sisters behalf. What a nice big brother you are! How far along is she now? Congrats on being an Uncle also! Is this your first niece or nephew?

Maybe I can help you out a little since I just had my own little one a couple of months ago. Does your sister lift or exercise at all or has she ever foam rolled before? I’m just trying to gauge her level of fitness right now?

Also, yes, as mentioned above, the extra weight is a good deal of what plays havoc on your body. I would really recommend only gaining as much as you have to. Anything more than that is going to not be pleasant, both while you are pregnant and after. Then again, not really a good idea to talk to a pregnant woman about her weight, right? Ha Yeah, probably not the best idea.

Anyhow, just let me know what her current level and I’ll try to help you out with some things that might make her feel a little better. :slight_smile: [/quote]

Thanks for the response! I promise, I imagine the foam roller as a torture device as well as what it’s intended for. The thought of her doing some deep thigh, embrace the pain rollouts is making me laugh, but it’s sooo worth it. I imagine the sort of relief she will be able to get in her hips at different times of her pregnancy will be awesome and bring her a lot of relief.

We are pretty darn close for dogs and cats, she’s 10 weeks along and already experiencing lumbar tightness. Totally untrained, she’s more the yoga type, 5’6" around 130 and likely that way because she has a lot of food allergies. I’m just thinking about how miserable she’s going to be when she has a food craving she cant scratch, and her back is going out on her. Damn I don’t want to visit when she’s like that!

At ten weeks she should be having all that bad of time. Her organs are getting a little pressure but not nothing like what coming. Her hormones have already shifted levels as Im sure you noticed, lol. Make sure she has all her prenatal vitamins and minerals. Insist she practice Kegels every day.

[quote]Severiano wrote:

Thanks for the response! I promise, I imagine the foam roller as a torture device as well as what it’s intended for. The thought of her doing some deep thigh, embrace the pain rollouts is making me laugh, but it’s sooo worth it. I imagine the sort of relief she will be able to get in her hips at different times of her pregnancy will be awesome and bring her a lot of relief.

We are pretty darn close for dogs and cats, she’s 10 weeks along and already experiencing lumbar tightness. Totally untrained, she’s more the yoga type, 5’6" around 130 and likely that way because she has a lot of food allergies. I’m just thinking about how miserable she’s going to be when she has a food craving she cant scratch, and her back is going out on her. Damn I don’t want to visit when she’s like that!
[/quote]

You’re very welcome. :slight_smile:

The reason that I asked about what kind of exercise she has done so far is that foam rolling is not something I would suggest to a pregnant woman that wasn’t familiar with one. There are certain areas that really must be avoided as to not trigger premature labor, such as the inner thigh.

There is no doubt that pregnancy is brutal on hips and the lower back. For the last month that I was pregnant, I had permanent back pumps that were agonizing.

Since she’s in the first trimester still, I’d recommend maybe some walking or swimming and I’ll post some stretches that gave me relief. I feel that is a much safer route for her considering she isn’t currently involved in any sort of training.

It would appear that is a very good weight and that will work in her favor. The more you weigh, it can really do a number on your joints. Food cravings will definitely be looming. lol

In order to keep her back from giving her trouble, she can stretch out her hips and hamstrings often. Also, the cat stretch - OMG - she has to do this. It feels sooo good. The relief is only temporary but during the last trimester, you take any relief that you can get.

Anyhow, that is just some very general advice based on what I went through. I’ll now post some stretches that she can try. They really do help.

Another piece of advice - epidurals are a small piece of heaven. :slight_smile:

All the best to your sister. Hope she knows how fortunate she is to have such a caring brother. Mine was a pest.

Sorry, I just noticed that one of them didn’t post.


Now I posted one twice. Nevermind. lol You get the picture.

Thank you MOD’s for moving this, us meatheads dont really know a great deal about pregnancy unfortunately.

[quote]tattoo’d’popeye wrote:
At ten weeks she should be having all that bad of time. Her organs are getting a little pressure but not nothing like what coming. Her hormones have already shifted levels as Im sure you noticed, lol. Make sure she has all her prenatal vitamins and minerals. Insist she practice Kegels every day. [/quote]

Yes to all of these. She is also probably very, very tired right now. That won’t last though.

[quote]Jackie_Jacked wrote:

[quote]tattoo’d’popeye wrote:
At ten weeks she should be having all that bad of time. Her organs are getting a little pressure but not nothing like what coming. Her hormones have already shifted levels as Im sure you noticed, lol. Make sure she has all her prenatal vitamins and minerals. Insist she practice Kegels every day. [/quote]

Yes to all of these. She is also probably very, very tired right now. That won’t last though.
[/quote]

Thank you Jackie, I was really close to drop shipping her a couple different foam rollers, last thing I want is to offer her something that would put her, or the little peanut in danger.

You are welcome. It was a really nice gesture on your part.

Just so you know, I used my foam roller some when I was pregnant. I know what I was comfortable with though and how it was supposed to feel as I’ve had mine for a few years now. I’d just be hesitant for a pregnant woman to be trying it for the first time. The risk could outweigh the benefits. Better to err on the side of caution.