T Nation

Pregnant Belly

I notice when I stand straight upright my stomach looks like I am pregnant but if I suck it in it’s fine. COuld my obliques be pushing the fat forward, look at the pic. Used to play baseball which most likely built them like that. I try not to work them too much anymore.

Also, when I do bicycles I feel my legs and hip more the farther I try to bring my knee to my shoulder. Because of the tightness in my hips could thisbe posture related? IF so or not so what should I do (special lifts, stretches etc)?

THanks Also, this question may sound really stupid but since the brain is made up primarily of fat could excess cardio start to use fat stores of the brain or is that impossible. I know that sounds incredibly stupid but I didn’t know who to ask.

[quote]lhkbek wrote:

I notice when I stand straight upright my stomach looks like I am pregnant but if I suck it in it’s fine. COuld my obliques be pushing the fat forward, look at the pic. Used to play baseball which most likely built them like that. I try not to work them too much anymore.

Also, when I do bicycles I feel my legs and hip more the farther I try to bring my knee to my shoulder. Because of the tightness in my hips could thisbe posture related? IF so or not so what should I do (special lifts, stretches etc)?

THanks Also, this question may sound really stupid but since the brain is made up primarily of fat could excess cardio start to use fat stores of the brain or is that impossible. I know that sounds incredibly stupid but I didn’t know who to ask. [/quote]

You don’t really have a big gut, you are just small (like me). Build some muscle and it will look more proportionate. Your obliques aren’t a problem. I don’t actually know for sure, but I would assume Pilates-type exercises (dead bug, etc) strengthening the transverse abdominus, a muscle which aids in supporting your internal organs in that area) could help.

There doesn’t seem to be anything terribly wrong with your posture (at least not from the picture), but stretching the hips is usually a good idea, just for injury prevention.

Where did you learn that most of your brain is fat? I think the kids were just making fun of you when they said that. The brain isn’t a main storage site of fat, so don’t worry about. As far as depriving the brain of energy, the body will make sure the brain is the last thing that loses its energy supply; everything else will go before it stops giving oxygen to the brain.

ROFL

The brain is not mostly made up of fat, and it uses glucose as its energy source. Also the brain has priority over everything else in your body so it will be the last thing to go.

Could be water retention and/or diet related. Love handles/ lower abdominal fat is usually the last to go.

Actually I’m pretty sure the brain is mostly made of fat - lots of myelinated neurons. But the fat is making up the cell’s membranes, not stored within the cells as an energy source. Anyway, you’d probably die before what you’re asking about would happen.

Also, it doesn’t really look like you are carrying much fat there. More like those muscles are more developed than the rest of your body.

The only fat you have to worry about is the fat that is obviously hindering your ability to think. YOU ARE NOT FAT!!!

3 RULES

1. EAT LOT’S OF GOOD STUFF
  2. LIFT HEAVY SHIT!!!
  3. GET LOTS OF SLEEP

That is all.

You’re not fat. You need to bulk.

[quote]zarro wrote:
The only fat you have to worry about is the fat that is obviously hindering your ability to think. YOU ARE NOT FAT!!!

3 RULES

2. LIFT HEAVY SHIT!!!
  3. GET LOTS OF SLEEP

That is all.
[/quote]

Honestly, if more T-Nation’ers followed those three simple rules there’d be alot more muscle supporting the bones of the typical T-forumite.

[quote]unearth wrote:
zarro wrote:

3 RULES

2. LIFT HEAVY SHIT!!!
  3. GET LOTS OF SLEEP

That is all.

Honestly, if more T-Nation’ers followed those three simple rules there’d be alot more muscle supporting the bones of the typical T-forumite.[/quote]

Everyone know’s T-Nationers don’t lift.

I would suggest more lower abdominal work such as hanging leg raises. I’v heard that those who focus on upper abdominal work and/or neglect the lower abdominals(which usually respond best to isometric work) can have atrophied lower abdominals that then slouch down giving a lower belly bulging look that appears as if it is fat. Essentially I think it is a lower abdominal muscle imbalance.

True, but especially in this forum, that will never happen. Also those rules is what distinguishes the typical forumite from a respected, knowledgable forum member, someone like professor x. I am glad that T-Nation has a beginners forum, it allows beginners a place to ask their questions and it allows guys who have a been around a while to tell them what they need to hear. I think the majority of T-Nation members are beginners to one degree or another. I think if more people read Bustin ass 101 by Dave Tate, more people would realize this.

[quote]unearth wrote:
zarro wrote:

3 RULES

2. LIFT HEAVY SHIT!!!
  3. GET LOTS OF SLEEP

That is all.

Honestly, if more T-Nation’ers followed those three simple rules there’d be alot more muscle supporting the bones of the typical T-forumite.[/quote]

[quote]devilBASTARDdog wrote:
Everyone know’s T-Nationers don’t lift.
[/quote]

Yes, but it’s also a well known fact T-Nation forumites have the most hypertrophied finger muscles anywhere in cyberspace.

thanks…sorry about the brain question. Alright I think I should bulk too, but the thing is everytime I bulk my body seems to put more fat on me than muscle even though my lifts go up and I eat pretty clean. I always seem to plateau at about 10% bf even when I use the v-diet. I put some pics. Do you think I should keep on the v-diet or try and bulk to get that last pocket of fat off so I can see the lower abs. Top 4 are no problem and I can get pretty ripped. I think of myself as a FFB but havent been fat (more than 20% since maybe 8th grade) I am 19 now.

Unfortunately, every time I try a bulk I feel like I gain more fat than muscle even when it is clean about 3000 cals. Then, I will start cutting like a vicious yo-yo every month or so. Been doing it since Sr. yr of high school and was wondering what type of plan I should use. IT seems that no matter what amount of cardio or type of lifting and eating I do, I can’t lose that little belly. I don’t want to sacrifice all my muscle for it but at the same time am I guess scared to bulk for any prolonged time. Any suggestions.

Been using Chris’s weight training plan outlined at the begining of his v-diet article except using upright rows instead of the olympic movement and 15 min cardio after training with weights 30 every other day-treadmill at 8ish mph keeping my heart at 160bpm as it is horrible outside here in Chicago.

Thanks for any help but my main goal is a good body but always have wanted six-pack especially now…because i work so hard. Kind of discourageing but i keep at it. SOme people say bulk for a yr and not worry until then. I seem to get fat by doing that. Thanks alot. Anyway around getting obesce while gaining muscle? It sucks but I want to overcome it. Put a front pic too.

front, judging on my I think endomorph body what eating plans would you guys suggest?

[quote]lhkbek wrote:
Do you think I should keep on the v-diet or try and bulk [/quote]

Why the FUCK would someone who looks like you be on “The V-Diet”?

The only thing scarier is that I bet there are several others just like you jumping onto things like that simply because you read about it here.

NO ONE WHO ISN’T ALREADY CARRYING SOME DECENT MUSCLE MASS ON THEM SHOULD BE JUMPING ON ANY TYPE OF EXTREME DIET LIKE THAT.

If that didn’t sink in the first time you read, spend a few weeks re-reading it until it does. In the meantime, go eat something.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
lhkbek wrote:
Do you think I should keep on the v-diet or try and bulk

Why the FUCK would someone who looks like you be on “The V-Diet”?

The only thing scarier is that I bet there are several others just like you jumping onto things like that simply because you read about it here.

NO ONE WHO ISN’T ALREADY CARRYING SOME DECENT MUSCLE MASS ON THEM SHOULD BE JUMPING ON ANY TYPE OF EXTREME DIET LIKE THAT.

If that didn’t sink in the first time you read, spend a few weeks re-reading it until it does. In the meantime, go eat something.[/quote]

Come on X, everyone knows T-Nationers just want to look great “nekid” and be a shredded 175# with 8% bodyfat FOREVER.

DD

[quote]lhkbek wrote:
thanks…sorry about the brain question. Alright I think I should bulk too, but the thing is everytime I bulk my body seems to put more fat on me than muscle even though my lifts go up and I eat pretty clean. I always seem to plateau at about 10% bf even when I use the v-diet. I put some pics. Do you think I should keep on the v-diet or try and bulk to get that last pocket of fat off so I can see the lower abs. Top 4 are no problem and I can get pretty ripped. I think of myself as a FFB but havent been fat (more than 20% since maybe 8th grade) I am 19 now.

Unfortunately, every time I try a bulk I feel like I gain more fat than muscle even when it is clean about 3000 cals. Then, I will start cutting like a vicious yo-yo every month or so. Been doing it since Sr. yr of high school and was wondering what type of plan I should use. IT seems that no matter what amount of cardio or type of lifting and eating I do, I can’t lose that little belly. I don’t want to sacrifice all my muscle for it but at the same time am I guess scared to bulk for any prolonged time. Any suggestions.

Been using Chris’s weight training plan outlined at the begining of his v-diet article except using upright rows instead of the olympic movement and 15 min cardio after training with weights 30 every other day-treadmill at 8ish mph keeping my heart at 160bpm as it is horrible outside here in Chicago.

Thanks for any help but my main goal is a good body but always have wanted six-pack especially now…because i work so hard. Kind of discourageing but i keep at it. SOme people say bulk for a yr and not worry until then. I seem to get fat by doing that. Thanks alot. Anyway around getting obesce while gaining muscle? It sucks but I want to overcome it. Put a front pic too.[/quote]

Your NOT FAT!!! NOR ARE YOU A FFB!! Now, you did mention that when you bulk you seem to gain more fat than muscle. My first inclination is to believe that you just don’t know how to put yourself through an intense enough training session. My second inclination is that you really are not eating as clean as you think. My third an final thought on the matter is that you need to toy around with your macro’s to find what works for you. 99% percent of your problem is probably reason number 1. You also mentioned that your from Chicago, so am I. PM me if you want help.

[quote]zarro wrote:
Your NOT FAT!!! NOR ARE YOU A FFB!! Now, you did mention that when you bulk you seem to gain more fat than muscle. My first inclination is to believe that you just don’t know how to put yourself through an intense enough training session. My second inclination is that you really are not eating as clean as you think. My third an final thought on the matter is that you need to toy around with your macro’s to find what works for you. 99% percent of your problem is probably reason number 1. You also mentioned that your from Chicago, so am I. PM me if you want help.[/quote]

Your first thought should have been that someone this turned around probably confuses having a full stomach with being “fat”. There are guys here who get worried because their stomach sticks out after a meal. With thinking like that, there is no way they can make any gains.

You have a short torso. So your stomache is compacted. If this confuses you I would be happy to explain.